Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am already marginalized being female in male dominated Audiophile world and am getting lectures after lectures. Alas. Why in the hell they just aren’t happy to sell me 6 speakers instead of 2?

Thank you for listening! (and forgive me English is not my 1st language) 🙏

You would think they would want to sell you 6. When I went to the store and asked them about surround they where all into it which really helped me.

rawmacias, wavelength, JonUrban, J. PUPSTER, thank you so much for the warm welcome! And many others who gave me "likes" and "love"... I feel like I've got a humongous group hug. You guys are so nice and awesome. :) :love: I am so glad to find this community.

rawmacias: You are so right. We do hear sounds from back in real world, too. I can use this to lecture them next time :LOL:Thank you for suggestions for hardware, too. I really didn't want to bother all with newbie questions but I think you guys knows so much better than hifi sales persons.

wavelength: You had same experiences, too? Thank you for sharing that! Because It really helps me to feel better to know that.

JonUrban: Yep, SW song ;) thank you so much your therapeutic words. You are dead-on on"belittled and shamed" is how I felt. And different-animal is good analogy. This gives me an idea to lecture them with "when native Americans saw Columbus's ship..." ;)

J. PUPSTER: Exactly! I started off with Steven but now I am hunting down other surround music with QQ forum Polls. Thank you for encouraging to ask questions, too.

Again, my deepest appreciation for all of you🙏

Last edited:
rawmacias, wavelength, JonUrban, J. PUPSTER, thank you so much for the warm welcome! And many others who gave me "likes" and "love"... I feel like I've got a humongous group hug. You guys are so nice and awesome. :) :love: I am so glad to find this community.

rawmacias: You are so right. We do hear sounds from back in real world, too. I can use this to lecture them next time :LOL:Thank you for suggestions for hardware, too. I really didn't want to bother all with newbie questions but I think you guys knows so much better than hifi sales persons.

wavelength: You had same experiences, too? Thank you for sharing that! Because It really helps me to feel better to know that.

JonUrban: Yep, SW song ;) thank you so much your therapeutic words. You are dead-on on"belittled and shamed" is how I felt. And different-animal is good analogy. This gives me an idea to lecture them with "when native Americans saw Columbus's ship..." ;)

J. PUPSTER: Exactly! I started off with Steven but now I am hunting down other surround music with QQ forum Polls. Thank you for encouraging to ask questions, too.

Again, my deepest appreciation for all of you🙏

If you are looking for a shopping list...aside from the polls....this could be a good tool:cool:

@perfectlife hello and welcome. The proper way to handle such situations is to shut them down. People who say stereo is better are either ignorant or lying. Also most people do not know stereo was actually three channels when it first came out. My mother told me how she went to a show when stereo was first introduced. It started as mono and then went to three channel the audience reaction was palpable. For consumer use they dumbed it down to two channel. So the fucktards who prefer 2 channel aren't even using true stereo as it was originally intended.

People are not entitled to opinions. People are entitled to informed opinions. If your opinion is uninformed then it is not valid. These words of wisdom came to me in a comicbook shop from Harlan Ellison who was there that day.

Hope answering in one post is against etticette. I didn't want members to scroll and scroll.
Welcome, @perfectlife!

Those of us who don't identify as female probably haven't been on the receiving end of the sort of "mansplaining" you experienced (although more than a few of us have probably committed that sin ourselves...). But yes: I'll bet we've all experienced the ignorant pity and/or eye-rolling of dyed-in-the-wool stereophiles.

As others have said: you're in the right place! Tons of knowledge and experience here. Also lots of patience, and very few people who'll try to tell you what to think. Spend time perusing the threads and the resource pages, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I indeed feel like I found my tribe ;) Thank you for a warm welcome. I didn't want to use the "mansplaining" but that's what I got. American men are more aware of and don't do that anymore. It's bit behind in this country I live :(

Welcome to the forum "perfectlife." It's nice to get a female perspective on things around here as hi-fi and surround sound should not be just a male's domain.

We've all heard the "Who wants to listen to music in surround sound?" lecture from the audio salon people. Allow me to say that my system when playing in 2-channel mode and sitting in the sweet spot is quite a thing to behold...giant tower speakers powered by well over 200 wpc, side-wall imaging at times and depth. But even with all of that, when I switch to surround sound it blows away the best of 2-channel presentations. I'm sure you will be just fine especially with help from those on this forum. Oh, and we're a very friendly lot!

I am so glad to hear even you got the lecture. :oops: It makes me feel better to know that. And isn't that so? The sound-stage go kaboom and its difference between water-savor shower head which spits at you and those giant rain shower which pour sounds all around you.

Thank you for a warm welcome!

@perfectlife hello and welcome. The proper way to handle such situations is to shut them down. People who say stereo is better are either ignorant or lying. Also most people do not know stereo was actually three channels when it first came out. My mother told me how she went to a show when stereo was first introduced. It started as mono and then went to three channel the audience reaction was palpable. For consumer use they dumbed it down to two channel. So the fucktards who prefer 2 channel aren't even using true stereo as it was originally intended.

People are not entitled to opinions. People are entitled to informed opinions. If your opinion is uninformed then it is not valid. These words of wisdom came to me in a comicbook shop from Harlan Ellison who was there that day.

What I am realizing is this forum is that, there are wisdom or forum members here. I'd totally use your quote. Thank you so much!

perfectlife

Welcome to all things condescending! Just joking. You are in the right place for your newly found love of surround music. You will find all kinds of help on the main page . Depending on your choice of digital or analog , you can pick a hardware thread and start asking for advice. That simple.
A lot of knowledge here and not just from men! Good Luck!

Great another female...welcome
I just entered into quad n surround sound myself
Enjoy!

Great bunch of guys here

Well not vinyl as i gave up on that 30+ yrs ago...but my set up i use analog out from oppo into avr
I spin discs n have spent alot of $ buying sacd dvda n bluray audio
Im 5.1 set-up
I'm just the opposite. Heavy on the analog end and super light on the digital multichannel end. I do have a decent - dare I say the word - "stereo" catalog from before I started my quad/multichannel journey. I still purchase stereo vinyl due to my Robert Ludwig / George Piros collecting.
Stereo side + four boxes that don't fit the shelves.
Quad/multichannel side. The white boxes are Robert Ludwig

Last edited:
I'm just the opposite. Heavy on the analog end and super light on the digital multichannel end. I do have a decent - dare I say the word - "stereo" catalog from before I started my quad/multichannel journey. I still purchase stereo vinyl due to my Robert Ludwig / George Piros collecting.

Thats good but yrs ago i went from vinyl to cassette then onto cds...i did skip the 8 track generation...i still have lps sitting in s box...maybe one day ill pick up a TT...but really enjoying the multi digital discs

Alot of vinyl...u must have a hellova collection
I'm kinda at the end of my analog collecting. Just a few Japan vinyls and a few 8 track/reels to go. I am starting to look more towards my digital collection .
My collection ? Minuscule , I sure, compared to others here on QQ. A friend of mine had such a large collection of music, he used it to open his own record store here in Merced!

Thats good but yrs ago i went from vinyl to cassette then onto cds...i did skip the 8 track generation...i still have lps sitting in s box...maybe one day ill pick up a TT...but really enjoying the multi digital discs

Nothing wrong with stereo, or Vinyl; there's much more Quads still unreleased on CD-4, QS & SQ LPs that can be experienced with the right turntable/cartridge and something like the new Involve Surround Master v2. The SMv2 will require a receiver with at least 4.0 analog inputs. I believe the CD-4s are trickier and requires more specialized equipment. And of course the Q8 tapes (Quad.) I've got a SMv2 on order and still considering my TT options, because I'd like to tap into those old Quad LPs that most likely will never get released. I've also got boxes full of old stereo LPs that need to be revisited. The SMv2 can also work magic on some of those old stereo LPs & CDs etc. And of course multi-channel SACDs that are still available from various new and used sources. It's really good to get to know the discogs site for research (if you haven't already.)

https://www.discogs.com/search/
http://involveaudio.com/surround-master/

Nothing wrong with stereo, or Vinyl; there's much more Quads still unreleased on CD-4, QS & SQ LPs that can be experienced with the right turntable/cartridge and something like the new Involve Surround Master v2. The SMv2 will require a receiver with at least 4.0 analog inputs. I believe the CD-4s are trickier and requires more specialized equipment. And of course the Q8 tapes (Quad.) I've got a SMv2 on order and still considering my TT options, because I'd like to tap into those old Quad LPs that most likely will never get released. I've also got boxes full of old stereo LPs that need to be revisited. The SMv2 can also work magic on some of those old stereo LPs & CDs etc. And of course multi-channel SACDs that are still available from various new and used sources. It's really good to get to know the discogs site for research (if you haven't already.)

Wow.... what is this surround-master thing? It turns stereo into surround? Remastering real time? Fogive me if this is not right thread to ask question about hardware. "On order" means you have not experienced, yet? I am so curious....

Wow.... what is this surround-master thing? It turns stereo into surround? Remastering real time? Fogive me if this is not right thread to ask question about hardware. "On order" means you have not experienced, yet? I am so curious....

Here's a whole thread about the SMv2; welcome to Chucky Land! (They haven't shipped yet!)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...mp-to-the-left-and-a-step-to-the-right.25170/
It decodes Quad LPs (except CD-4) & I believe Q8 (Quad); and it will create a "Faux" surround experience with your stereo sources that some here have claimed is one of the best. Keep in mind about the type of receiver it needs to run through with "analog" inputs. The quality of the effect depends much on the source material; some do better than others.

:hi:51QQ:SG

Back