What are the rarest Sony (US) 5.1 SACDs from the 2000-2008 era

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, my name is Max. I'm a newbie at this forum, but otherwise an oldie, collecting surround music since introduction of DVD-A in 2000. Three years later my interest has been expanded to music on SACD and nowadays to bluray discs (audio).
For some time now, I have followed the posts in this forum and I am pleased to be actively participating now, but of course in all modesty.
Today, I’m happy to add a rare (sorry non-U.S.) hybrid multichannel SONY SACD which came from Finland.

Raita, Teemu - Cover_small.jpg

Raita, Teemu - Back Cover_small.jpg

Hi there, my name is Max. I'm a newbie at this forum, but otherwise an oldie, collecting surround music since introduction of DVD-A in 2000. Three years later my interest has been expanded to music on SACD and nowadays to bluray discs (audio).
For some time now, I have followed the posts in this forum and I am pleased to be actively participating now, but of course in all modesty.
Today, I’m happy to add a rare (sorry non-U.S.) hybrid multichannel SONY SACD which came from Finland.

View attachment 35768

View attachment 35769

a warm welcome to QQ, Max :)
wow! great first post! i have never even heard of that Teemu Raita SACD! thank you for sharing the photos and information (y)

Sony Classical Surround SACDs of material previously released in Quadraphonic form;

Bartok - Concerto For Orchestra, Miraculous Mandarin; Boulez

MZsL89H.jpeg

Always loved that album cover on the Boulez does Bartok .............

Shows us the "actual Quad layout " of the recording ! :) Don't know of any others that do that .

Here's an interesting one. the Gadd Gang, with two different mixes, and a 5.1 mix. Interstingly enough, it's in the same catalog numbering schema as the Sony 7" special editions, even though it predates them by quite a few years. This was a 2008 release.

I also have the other two Gadd Gang Sony Japan SACD's, but they are stereo only.

GaddGangF.jpg

GaddGangB.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an interesting one. the Gadd Gang, with two different mixes, and a 5.1 mix. Interstingly enough, it's in the same catalog numbering schema as the Sony 7" special editions, even though it predates them by quite a few years. This was a 2008 release.

I also have the other two Gadd Gang Sony Japan SACD's, but they are stereo only.

View attachment 35770

View attachment 35771

How are those Gadd Gang SACDs?
Been tempted many times but don’t know enough about the music

How are those Gadd Gang SACDs?
Been tempted many times but don’t know enough about the music

See my comments in the Poll Thread (Which is linked in that post). They are OK, sorta "Club Jazz", not real surround spectaculars.

@ fredblue: Thank you for your warm welcome!
Here is another rare European SACD edition of the Belgian group K’s choice. It’s a collection of different live events on two discs. Most tracks are in stereo, but there are four tracks with surround sound: #5-#7 on SACD1, and #3 on SACD2. That’s really strange!

K's Choice-Cover-75dpi .jpg

K's Choice-75dpi.jpg

Ok , I thought I'd play to.

Never got into SACD until the 7 Dylan's were released in mid 2003 .

(Also at the same time got pissed off that all those Stones discs were stereo , damn that's frustrating !!)

So after Dylan's SACD's I slowly started to buy some of the Sony single layers shortly after I'd aquired a combo player .

One of my first ,Sony's , single layer , that I believe is somewhat rare.

David Bowie - Heathen
20181006_101203.jpg

I got the vast majority through Best Buy . And around this time they boosted all their sacd pricing so almost all were between $30 and $35 .

Now I have a handful of these , no where near Fredblues concise librarium. WOW !

Anyway , another....

James Taylor -Hourglass

20181006_101312.jpg

And

James Taylor - J.T. , with plenty of his hit songs. I notice in the liner notes , it uses an "Aphex Aural Expander " ?

I wonder what that was supposed to achieve ?
I think it was a frequency dependent dynamic range expander, so you could bring up a frequency band, say to make vocals more prominent, I heard one once in a studio, can't remember what it was like! Not made anymore. http://www.aphex.com/products/

I think it was a frequency dependent dynamic range expander, so you could bring up a frequency band, say to make vocals more prominent, I heard one once in a studio, can't remember what it was like! Not made anymore. http://www.aphex.com/products/

Thanks Dunc .

I was thinking it was akin to a "spatializer " type o thing. (Expansion of Stereo and all that )

Back