What AV receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Yamaha is great for Oppo BDP-83 over HDMI (SACD, DVD-A, Blu Rayany other source), but I rarely use that. I usually play back all my sound from PC over analogue 5.1 (Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro). Sources vary from MP3 to hi-res FLAC. And for that, the Yamaha fails tremendously. It sounds like a transistor radio.

i agree with what said ProgRules. it doesn't matter what receiver you gonna obtain, you'll get have same problem.
after all PC sound cards (unless card was designed for pro. usage), pretty crappy and directed mainly for gamers,
who's doesn't care about sound and quite happy with optical or coax interface.

Hey guys,

good thoughts and that indeed hadn't occurred to me - connecting to the Oppo. I have, however, found an alternate solution. I am currently running my HDMI cable from the Grahpics card to the Yamaha AVR, and I am able to get a reliable and stable signal (no cutting off) when I disconnect the HDMI out cable from the AVR. If the signal "ends" in the Yamaha, HDMI works fine and, I might add, sounds amazing.

So now I'm using HDMI under Ubuntu and analogue under Windows, where the sound card's drivers have their own, very good, bass management options. This leaves me with just two minor annoyances:

1. Under Ubuntu, the AVR is also reconized as a second screen, which adds an extension to my desktop to the right which I am not actually using. So if I move my mouse cursor there, it will disappear out of the main window. I can live with that.
2. When I use the Oppo (which is not too often anymore), I need to plug the HDMI cable back in.

That's good enough for me: my every day usage is completely computer based, and I'm getting all the sound quality I want. Thanks for your help!

Hey guys,

good thoughts and that indeed hadn't occurred to me - connecting to the Oppo. I have, however, found an alternate solution. I am currently running my HDMI cable from the Grahpics card to the Yamaha AVR, and I am able to get a reliable and stable signal (no cutting off) when I disconnect the HDMI out cable from the AVR. If the signal "ends" in the Yamaha, HDMI works fine and, I might add, sounds amazing.

So now I'm using HDMI under Ubuntu and analogue under Windows, where the sound card's drivers have their own, very good, bass management options. This leaves me with just two minor annoyances:

1. Under Ubuntu, the AVR is also reconized as a second screen, which adds an extension to my desktop to the right which I am not actually using. So if I move my mouse cursor there, it will disappear out of the main window. I can live with that.
2. When I use the Oppo (which is not too often anymore), I need to plug the HDMI cable back in.

That's good enough for me: my every day usage is completely computer based, and I'm getting all the sound quality I want. Thanks for your help!

what kind of monitor is the AVR's HDMI out going to?

does HDMI pass through work as it should?
(i.e. picture but no sound when you switch the AVR off?).

is the AVR outputting a video signal (say 1080p) that your monitor/TV isn't compatible with?
(e.g. monitor/TV tops out at 720p max resolution?).

i reckon your monitor/TV can't handle the A/V signal it's getting via HDMI and that's why you're getting problems.

switch your AVR video out Res to whatever the native resolution is of your monitor/TV and downres any Full HD (1080p) sources.. so everything in your A/V chain is set to 720p max (even if one or two components, like the PC go beyond that) try that and see if that solves it.

HDMI can be a real pain the ass.. it may be a one cable solution that does a lot of neat stuff (and is neater than a possible spaghetti junction of wires..) but its fiddly and finnickity a lot of the time too! :mad:@:

Hi all,
I hope this is the right section to ask this question.
I'm looking to upgrade my trusty Pioneer SC-LX72 receiver amp to a 4k model.
I've been looking at the new Marantz 7012 and 8012 amps.
As there are not many manufacturers out there, offering all the new surround gizmo's eg, Auro 3D, apart from Denon.
Do Marantz still have the edge in musicality?
Has anyone experience of either of these models?
Im personally tempted by the 8012 but its currently £1600 more than the 7012..is it worth it?
As ever, totally appreciate all replies to this thread.

Hi all,
I hope this is the right section to ask this question.
I'm looking to upgrade my trusty Pioneer SC-LX72 receiver amp to a 4k model.
I've been looking at the new Marantz 7012 and 8012 amps.
As there are not many manufacturers out there, offering all the new surround gizmo's eg, Auro 3D, apart from Denon.
Do Marantz still have the edge in musicality?
Has anyone experience of either of these models?
Im personally tempted by the 8012 but its currently £1600 more than the 7012..is it worth it?
As ever, totally appreciate all replies to this thread.

When comparing similarly featured AVR's from Denon, Pioneer and so forth, I do like Marantz. As you mentioned above, I also feel they have the edge musically. Of course you pay a few hundred more or so. To save big bucks, you may also want to consider a Marantz 6012. Outside a 15watt per channel increase, I thought any other updates between the 6012 and 7012 where minor.

Saw an offer on a Marantz SR 1802 I just couldn't resist. It was an open box deal, as new, but with a nice discount. Just spent this week settling in with it.

First Impressions

I'm hearing things that I didn't know were there...such a musical monster.
It runs quite warm.
It is very easy to set up.
Need to keep the front panel lowered as the indication ' porthole' is hard to read.
Currently using a 7.1 speaker setup but eventually will go for a 7.1.4, which, hopefully, this will handle with ease.

There we are..a little taster.

Will provide a fuller review once 'she' ;) has become accustomed to my needs!!

Keep rockin ...and rollin.:rocks

Last edited:
Oh, I love my Marantz receiver!!!
The SR7012 is definitely a MONSTER.. and yes, as beerking duly noted, it gets PRETTY warm... it also has more vent holes than the 7011..
I would highly recommend "Safe and Sound" in Chicopee MA, they were the ones who sold me the SR7011 for $999 and then sold me the 7012 for an extra $300 bucks...
Highly recommended

Oh, I love my Marantz receiver!!!
The SR7012 is definitely a MONSTER.. and yes, as beerking duly noted, it gets PRETTY warm... it also has more vent holes than the 7011..
I would highly recommend "Safe and Sound" in Chicopee MA, they were the ones who sold me the SR7011 for $999 and then sold me the 7012 for an extra $300 bucks...
Highly recommended
Still liking your 7012 Kap'n?

Back