What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian Setzer - Christmas Rocks! Live on blu ray in 5.1

fullsizeoutput_86a.jpeg

The one and only David Gilmour.
Live from Pompeii
BD

This really is one great live show.
Having recently watched Mr Waters Wall, I know which one I prefer....yep THIS ONE

Marvellous. :rocks
I like them both! It's great to see them still on the road and making such a SPECTACULAR SHOWS! :LB

Melody Gardot Live At the Olympia, Pari Blu Ray. Saw her perform live at Town Hall, NYC a few years ago - killer band, and she is an intoxicating performer.

Attachments

• 446EF671-6D2B-495F-A5BC-255E2F10562D.jpeg
    446EF671-6D2B-495F-A5BC-255E2F10562D.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 66
I'm currently on a Deep Purple Marathon.....this is what I'm streaming live concert wise.....from Youtube

BILZEN POP FESTIVAL 1969

Deep Purple - Live at Essener Pop & Blues Festival 1969 - Remastered HD

Deep Purple - Live at Granada TV - 1970 (Doing Their Thing,Full)

Deep Purple live Copenhagen 1972

DEEP PURPLE- Mandrake Root 1969)

Wring That Neck - Mandrake Root 11-14-1970
https://youtu.be/XhngsEEVYaU

Deep Purple - Child In Time - 1970
https://youtu.be/OorZcOzNcgE

IMHO some of Blackmore's finest performances EVER

All awesome!! stuff......and Merry Christmas to all here at QQ

Last edited:
The new BRAND X - Live @ Rites of Spring Festival 2018 (fully autographed by the band when I bought it at the Cohoes Music Hall on November 29th) Running time is 71 minutes, basically a full show, less encores. The band is well represented here and the video presentation captures the interplay in a more creative approach than most concert discs. While chatting at the merch table, they also pointed out to me that I was getting this disc before the street date. :LB
Brand X BD CD.JPG

The new BRAND X - Live @ Rites of Spring Festival 2018 (fully autographed by the band when I bought it at the Cohoes Music Hall on November 29th) Running time is 71 minutes, basically a full show, less encores. The band is well represented here and the video presentation captures the interplay in a more creative approach than most concert discs. While chatting at the merch table, they also pointed out to me that I was getting this disc before the street date. :LBView attachment 37238
Cool 😀

OPETH - Garden Of The Titans (Red Rocks Amphitheater) May 11th, 2017
The band has really grown on me (catching up to their full worth actually); I've seen them live three times and I love Red Rocks so this should be great. I selected the 5.1 surround mix and settled in. I got 1/2 way through the first song and walked back to the rear speakers. I put my ear to one and barely heard anything. This won't do. I'll take 5 channel stereo over this! I didn't want to monkey with surround modes, preferring to concentrate on the music and the performance this first time go round. They are a wicked tight and creative band, showcasing their taste and talents here. I think Mikael Akerfeldt's singing voice may be my favorite right now; the growl less so but it really fits the music so I have come to appreciate the effect. He is also a great front man with hilarious witticisms along the way. I always enjoy these little asides.

Great cross-section of tunes played from the recent Sorceress album then reaching back to Damnation and even farther. Options included are the 2 CDs I know I'm going to play + DVD-V + Blu Ray for a full package at a reasonable price. Once I accepted the fact that they (Danny Castillo with two assistant mix engineers) CANNOT MIX SURROUND TO SAVE THEIR LIVES. This performance should have been honored with an immersive surround mix, still amazing in stereo IMHO. Even a standard concert mix (crowd in rears) would make more sense than this low energy non-surround mix. If you have this disc and find some other mode(s) to enhance this, please share and I will do the same.

Opeth Red Rocks.jpg

Last edited:
LAYLA
I have a confession to make- I've never really liked the original version of "Layla." (Yah I know, almost blasphemy!)
However, this version with an unusual pairing of Wynton Marsalis, Eric Clapton and large jazz band works well for me. The sound is the typical live front speakers heavy with little in the rears; but the performance is well worth experiencing.

Here is the discogs for this release (if you buy it-make sure to get the one with the DVD-V):
https://www.discogs.com/Wynton-Mars...lues-Live-From-Lincoln-Center/release/3168737
This Layla has the feeling of a New Orleans dirge; combined with the slower mournful smoky vocals by Clapton, gives it the perspective of an older and more reflective E.C. telling of a long lost love, one that will never fully be forgotten.

MARSALIS - CLAPTON.jpg

QUICK BYTES - Blu Ray concerts / documentaries

1. STEVEN WILSON - In Concert at Royal Albert Hall A-
Very much about the 2018 live shows, combining elements of the early leg with the changes in the 2nd leg. Great visuals and sonics although I felt I had to crank it much farther than other shows. That was really my only complaint with the show. Well I did think Adam was mixed low for a portion of his showcase solo section in Regret #9, but upon playing it again the next day it was fine. That gave me a chance to hear Alex Hutchings' terrific solo that follows Adam's once again and marvel how much he has grown into this band from the early 2018 shows to where he is today.

2. TRAGICALLY HIP - Long Time Running B+
Canadian band with 30+ year history faces the fact that the front man has terminal brain cancer. After treatment fails, the poet up front decides they should embark on a farewell tour. it's quite a tale of belief and perseverance as they get to the first rehearsal and the front man cannot even remember album titles much less any of the lyrics. Slowly he gains it all back and they go on to glory in a 30 stop tour that climaxes with a huge crowd and live satellite feed. Visuals and editing are first rate, sadly the audio is not IMHO. Denon automatically selected Dolby Digital and for the first 3-4 minutes I struggled to make out any of the dialog! Even turing it up, it sounded thin and muffled, as if rolled off about 5K! This can't be right. Switch to Denon 5 Channel Stereo and boom! Loud and clear. It became clear this disc was more narrated documentary so I went with that. So maybe the true concert performances that come later have the goods? Nope. When I switched back to Automatic to use the Dolby Digital, it sounds feeble to me. Back to 5 Channel Stereo for the remainder and got into the story. I remember hearing of this band in 1987 but never investigated them. Watching this story you really root for them to make it.

3. SUPERTRAMP - Paris 1979 B+
Easily the band's peak success around the world was in full bloom for this show. The playing is top notch as they knock out the hits and great album cuts to an adoring crowd. Fidelity is fine; I still had it in 5 Channel Stereo from the Hip disc, when I switched to the DTS-MA track there wasn't much difference. This was an older video that has been cropped to 1:85 aspect ratio (too tight head shots, etc) and the stereo mix may have been slightly processed. 5 Channel Stereo works better for me. Bonus tracks are those songs that weren't filmed and so animated short clips, some with band footage are interwoven to satisfactory results. What is unsatisfactory is the lack of a Play All button for these extra tracks; making it worse the disc will dump you off at the Main Menu with the looping music until you catch it, Then select Bonus section again and then scroll down to the next track. After doing this six times I'm pretty sure I won't be watching them again anytime soon.

QUICK BYTES - Blu Ray concerts / documentaries

1. STEVEN WILSON - In Concert at Royal Albert Hall A-
Very much about the 2018 live shows, combining elements of the early leg with the changes in the 2nd leg. Great visuals and sonics although I felt I had to crank it much farther than other shows. That was really my only complaint with the show. Well I did think Adam was mixed low for a portion of his showcase solo section in Regret #9, but upon playing it again the next day it was fine. That gave me a chance to hear Alex Hutchings' terrific solo that follows Adam's once again and marvel how much he has grown into this band from the early 2018 shows to where he is today.

2. TRAGICALLY HIP - Long Time Running B+
Canadian band with 30+ year history faces the fact that the front man has terminal brain cancer. After treatment fails, the poet up front decides they should embark on a farewell tour. it's quite a tale of belief and perseverance as they get to the first rehearsal and the front man cannot even remember album titles much less any of the lyrics. Slowly he gains it all back and they go on to glory in a 30 stop tour that climaxes with a huge crowd and live satellite feed. Visuals and editing are first rate, sadly the audio is not IMHO. Denon automatically selected Dolby Digital and for the first 3-4 minutes I struggled to make out any of the dialog! Even turing it up, it sounded thin and muffled, as if rolled off about 5K! This can't be right. Switch to Denon 5 Channel Stereo and boom! Loud and clear. It became clear this disc was more narrated documentary so I went with that. So maybe the true concert performances that come later have the goods? Nope. When I switched back to Automatic to use the Dolby Digital, it sounds feeble to me. Back to 5 Channel Stereo for the remainder and got into the story. I remember hearing of this band in 1987 but never investigated them. Watching this story you really root for them to make it.

3. SUPERTRAMP - Paris 1979 B+
Easily the band's peak success around the world was in full bloom for this show. The playing is top notch as they knock out the hits and great album cuts to an adoring crowd. Fidelity is fine; I still had it in 5 Channel Stereo from the Hip disc, when I switched to the DTS-MA track there wasn't much difference. This was an older video that has been cropped to 1:85 aspect ratio (too tight head shots, etc) and the stereo mix may have been slightly processed. 5 Channel Stereo works better for me. Bonus tracks are those songs that weren't filmed and so animated short clips, some with band footage are interwoven to satisfactory results. What is unsatisfactory is the lack of a Play All button for these extra tracks; making it worse the disc will dump you off at the Main Menu with the looping music until you catch it, Then select Bonus section again and then scroll down to the next track. After doing this six times I'm pretty sure I won't be watching them again anytime soon.

Couldn't have said it any better myself regards Item 1, Timbre. An amazing sensory extravaganza of the highest order!!!

I actually just received a Blu Ray I ordered of a concert from a German artist called Adel Tawil. I am excited to watch it soon!

Back