What Is Steve Hoffman Doing These Days?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Hoffman is still doing mastering projects for a variety of releases.

The most recent one is the new Organ Recital at Disney Hall on Yarlung.
It's a Top 20 Seller at NativeDSD. (DSD Exclusive, Not on SACD release).

Steve Hoffman and Bob Attiyeh of Yarlung did the Stereo mastering.
Tom Caulfield at the NativeDSD Mastering Lab did the Surround Sound mastering of the album.

Jung A Lee - YAR77215DSD - 450.jpg

https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.co...a-private-recital-in-walt-disney-concert-hall

Which others did he do? I know not all of the AF quad reissues were particularly clear about who was remastering the quad layer. Did he do any others in that series?

Most of the Analog Tape to DSD transfers for Surround Sound DSD were done by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center and Stephen Marsh at Marsh Mastering.
But there are a few that list both Steve Hoffman and Stephen Marsh as doing the Stereo and Surround Sound DSD transfers.

Most of the Analog Tape to DSD transfers for Surround Sound DSD were done by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center and Stephen Marsh at Marsh Mastering.
But there are a few that list both Steve Hoffman and Stephen Marsh as doing the Stereo and Surround Sound DSD transfers.

Yep. I presumed those were Hoffman doing the stereo and Marsh doing the surround. But maybe they worked together on both?

Steve Hoffman is still doing mastering projects for a variety of releases.

The most recent one is the new Organ Recital at Disney Hall on Yarlung.
It's a Top 20 Seller at NativeDSD. (DSD Exclusive, Not on SACD release).

Steve Hoffman and Bob Attiyeh of Yarlung did the Stereo mastering.
Tom Caulfield at the NativeDSD Mastering Lab did the Surround Sound mastering of the album.

View attachment 35801

https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.co...a-private-recital-in-walt-disney-concert-hall

Count me as one of the people in that top 20 statistic that bought this one. Can't say that I am really impressed with it thus far.

I also found it odd that they referred to the stereo as "remastered" but the quad as a "transfer". Were the quad layers just flat transfers and not actually remastered?

The latest word from Steve Hoffman. His comments on the latest Yarlung Records album that he mastered with Bob Attiyeh in Stereo.
(Tom Caulfield at the NativeDSD Mastering Lab mastered the DSD Surround Sound tracks).

Cover at 450.jpg

Steve Hoffman, the well-known mastering engineer, offers these thoughts about the Yarlung Artists album A Private Organ Recital at Walt Disney Concert Hall by Jung-A Lee. (It is available in DSD Stereo & DSD Surround Sound - including at the originally recorded DSD 256 bit rate - exclusively at the NativeDSD Music store where it is one of our Top 15 Best Sellers!)

"The sound, the music, the performances, are all beyond words. I’m so proud to be associated with this, proud to have helped master it in Stereo. One more thing, I didn’t know my system could reproduce such low notes. You feel some of them below the belt!

Do you like big organ music? Are you tired of the same old warhorses? Ready for a unique private concert? You need this album.

The sound that Yarlung Records creator, producer, engineer Bob Attiyeh gets from his performers, hall and special equipment is always the best. This album is right up there with all the great sounding organ disks, even better as the top end isn’t “tipped up” as is usually the case with music like this.

What else can I say, really? Get this album. Support Yarlung Artists, a non-profit that is really making a difference in getting lesser known music recorded and released."

https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdMusic/photos/a.765908406800903/1964816506910081/?type=3

No, they found they preferred working without compromise. They're still friends.
Does this mean they do not work on transfers tape EQ prep, etc. together anymore?

“They’re still friends” implies that.

I figured SM has the studio and much gear, SH has clients to bring to the table and so it was a team of matched skills and opposite baggage they would each benefit from.

I just figure it’s slowing down for physical media and labels are doing their own mastering in-house for streaming and downloads.

I just figure it’s slowing down for physical media and labels are doing their own mastering in-house for streaming and downloads.

Whether it is for physical media or downloads, there is still transferring and mastering involved.
And many of the artists and record labels continue to do most of their work with outside studios and engineers.

Back