What's the best way to get to the Fuse style lamps behind the VU meters of a QRX-7500

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdamico1956

I have a QRX-7500 Quad receiver that has two burned out fuse style lamps behind two of the VU meters. The space between front panel of the unit and the Black shielded area behind it is a wall of PC boards and wiring. I don't just want to start unsoldering wires and removing PC boards to get to the lamps (which 3 out of the four are not even visible from the top or bottom). Does anyone have a list of steps they can share with me that would allow me to change out the burned out ones with the least amount of disassembly? Were there SAMS Photofact packets written on this Receiver; they usually gave disassembly instructions. Sometimes the manufacturers don't build these to be easily serviced (if designed to be serviced at all). I'm hoping that is not the case with the QRX-7500.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have a service manual. The manual didn't really explicitly tell you how to replace the bulbs though. Turns out that once you have the front decorative panel removed, all you have to do is loosen the three sheet metal screws that hold the perimeter of the VU meter assembly in place and then the whole VU Meter panel pulls out slightly from the chassis (still attached to some wires). Mine had some adhesive that kept one corner attached to the inner panel, so I had to pull on it a bit very carefully before it came loose. The panel doesn't pull all the way out, but the top of it sort of rocks forward to where you can pull the old bulbs out with some small tools. The decorative panel you see when the receiver is all together comes off by removing some screws from the top of it and then some dress nuts that are under a few of the knobs.

Warning to those who see this, UNPLUG FIRST! I made that mistake on my 7001 and popped something when the assembly shorted accidentally. I know it makes sense to most of us, but sometimes excitement comes before brains.:p Fortunately, my short only killed a fuse, but just the same, be careful. Besides, we have lost enough Quadraphiles, lets not lose more to OOPS!

Back