What's The Big Deal With Pink Floyd?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q-8...you are killing me man......

:dance

I...for once.....am speechless. Drugged out hippie music......I mean...that was the point of my initial interest in them. :)

So, So, Soooooo, damn true. It's ironic that the band members themselves were for the most part, anti-druggies. Except for Syd, of course. Maybe what happened to Syd scared the other four straight when it came to drugs. And to think... a stoned out hippie world wide audience somehow inspired the anti-drug toting Roger Waters to write The Wall.... giving that (even larger) stoned out hippie world wide audience even more music to get stoned by.

And we LIKED IT. And we still LIKE IT :smokin:smokin:smokin

When I get more time I'll explain on this thread why I enjoy PF and why I consider them the equal of....

dare I say it..... :eek::eek::eek:

The Beatles :oops::rolleyes::oops:

There's a few tracks from DSOTM that I think are ok: Money in particular. I like some of their 60's output like Arnold Layne.... but in my mind, they're just lazy musicians.
Nothing really stands out as particularly brilliant. I'm sure there's some technical aspects that some people might dig like their ability to play in 7/8 time or whatever but it just seems like lazy, drugged-out hippie music to me.

It's a fair critique, to be sure, although their use of unusual time signatures was limited compared to early Genesis, Rush, or King Crimson. To speak to your point, other than Gilmour, I would not consider them to be tops in their field. The remaining three all had a very idiosyncratic style that I grew to love, but I don't sit around and think, "Man Roger Waters could groove to anything!" or "Rick Wright, is there anything he CAN'T play??" or "Nick Mason, master of the Purdie Shuffle!"

I can tire of the Pocaros and Levins and Emersons and want to hear someone just play Gm7 legato on a Hammond with no aerobics, thunder away at a C#m bassline like an avalanche, or cleverly tap away on some rototoms where the pauses matter as much as the hits. I love their music, even their blues numbers, but I am not silly enough to think they were blues greats. As much as I loved Rick's jazzy style, he was not the equal of Jimmy Smith. That doesn't diminish my love for their music in the slightest.

That being said, taste simply cannot be argued. By my listening choices, I should be a huge fan of the Grateful Dead, Phish, the Moody Blues, Marillion, and Rush. I am not. I'm sorry Pink Floyd doesn't speak to you, but that's not a problem either. I'd recommend you give it a few more listens, but if it never awakens something in you, move on. There are piles and piles of music to discover.

Dave Gilmour turned down $500M to reform the group; nevertheless, he might be upset to learn that an anonymous punter on a niche audio hobbyist discussion board on the Internet questions the quality of Pink Floyd's work.

So please, everyone, don't tell him.

Dave Gilmour turned down $500M to reform the group; nevertheless, he might be upset to learn that an anonymous punter on a niche audio hobbyist discussion board on the Internet questions the quality of Pink Floyd's work.

So please, everyone, don't tell him.
Maybe he turned down the offer because of the comment of the anonymous punter... :p

So, what's next? Attacking Ol' Blue Eyes as the Chairman of the BORED?

Or better yet, the DRAB FOUR?

As for the conundrum, did the U.S. EVER land on the MOON, Just ask MJ :dance:cautious:

As, for me, I found MY thrill on BLUEBERRY HILL!

Last edited:
WHAT!?!?!? :eek:
Wait right there, an angry mob armed with torches and pitchforks will be at your door momentarily.

Perhaps Jon was alluding to his godawful film career [save for Jailhouse Rock and maybe, just maybe Viva Las Vegas].

Imagine Elvis in Fifty Shades of Hound Dog?

IMO, the Colonel didn't do Elvis any favors in 'guiding' his career. But the man had incredible vocal chops....but sometimes questionable choice of material [IMO].

I think it's hilarious that there are 3 pages of responses to what I consider at best a half-formed rhetorical question. I'm a huge PF fan, but I couldn't care less about what someone else thinks about them. Isn't that they way we should all feel about music, or for that matter, any form of artistic expression? Trying to convince anyone else of your subjective impressions of anything is a fool's errand, in my opinion.

I think it's hilarious that there are 3 pages of responses to what I consider at best a half-formed rhetorical question. I'm a huge PF fan, but I couldn't care less about what someone else thinks about them. Isn't that they way we should all feel about music, or for that matter, any form of artistic expression? Trying to convince anyone else of your subjective impressions of anything is a fool's errand, in my opinion.

I totally agree and criticizing other poster's listening habits is really a moot point but once in awhile questions arise what constitutes the exalted term 'legend' in any genre and whether or not they deserve their merit.

I always enjoyed PF but am not what you'd call a rabid fan as I followed the band through their ups and downs but there was always something to admire about their many periods of creativity. I've even heard critics question Miles Davis' 'authenticity' as a living legend citing other trumpet players as better but I even let that slide and have always admired [but NOT revered] the man.

I listen to ALL genres of music and comparing one artist to another can sometimes be frustrating [as in classical: who was the GREATEST composer].

And I do think that seasoned musicians have different takes on the complexity of other musician's work because of the intricacies involved in composing, arranging and actually playing instruments....something I profess to be ignorant about.

Whether, for instance, Prince was more talented than Michael Jackson, or vice versa, why compare. They both put out solid catalogues of music and in Prince's case, he supposedly has 125+ potential albums of unreleased material locked away in his Paisley Park vaults. Unfortunately, neither had an illustrious film career, like Elvis....and MOST especially Madonna [YIKES!]

But just supposing' Elvis had a different manager other than the Colonel. I think his career choices might've been different and more indicative of his true genius. Just an opinion.

And then there's my theory that there are brilliant artists out there who have never released an album, or acted on a stage or starred in movies that have TRUE GENIUS we'll NEVER be privy to throughout ALL periods of history. UNHERALDED Mystery Men and Women, I call them......and not the Marvel type!

If ONLY we did have a crystal ball!

Last edited:
... what I consider at best a half-formed rhetorical question.
Trying to convince anyone else of your subjective impressions of anything is a fool's errand, in my opinion.

The question posed was this "Someone please tell me how these guys were popular?"

While that question does not carry the same weight as, say "Someone please tell me how Martin Luther King's I have a dream speech was pivotal?", each is an interesting enough question that it can warrant educated discussion.

So I put forth me ideas for the discussion, and encouraged discussion from others. That's all. Fun.

I know, right? Why not just say something bad about my mother?
At least then there'd be some validity to the argument! :LOL:

My momma's so fat when God said, "Let there be light," he asked momma to move out the way.

I want to say why I consider Pink Floyd to be "all that".... and I'm not trying to convince anyone to see it my way, especially Q , because I like his posts and I usually agree with him. He's got a right not to like any given performer, for whatever reasons he feels are valid.

But I gotta come clean.... the hippie jokes just made me :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Anyway, what follows is only my opinion and memories. You are welcome to point out any inaccuracies. But of course, in the end, you'll be wrong.

I consider Pink Floyd to be masters of the concept album (CA from now on).

I would loosely define a CA as a recorded work where the parts or movements are somehow related to each other.

Certainly PF didn't invent the CA. Mussorgsky created Pictures at An Exhibition. Ravel orchestrated it. ELP progged it. Each movement attempts to describe a painting of the composers dead friend. But that's classical. For me, the first true rock genre CA was the Pretty Things: SF Sorrow, but I'm sure there are others that can be argued for. Around this same time period The Who produced Tommy which was a spinoff from a true CA genre called Rock Operas, the difference being Rock Operas vocals are sung by different characters like in a stage show. Floyd's The Wall is a rock opera to me. So is Jesus Christ Superstar, which might actually be the first rock opera. Rice and Webber initially conceived of it as a CA, not a play or stage show. As an aside, its recent performance on NBC, Easter Sunday was sensational.

Jethro Tull made fun on the concept genre with the release of Thick As a Brick, a mock CA. Of course TAAB was the bands response to their dislke of the widespread belief that Aqualung was a also a CA. And regardless of what Anderson says, it was. I mean, side one has songs about the nature of mankind. The second side has songs about the nature of God. The two sides of the LP are subtitled "Aqualung" and "My God", and that artwork text ... "in the beginning man created god... If it wasn't an intentional CA , it certainly fell together pretty precisely into a great one.

The Beatles had their try at a CA as well with Sgt Pepper. Musically it was only partially a CA, but it did do something nearly all good CA would do thereafter... it would include the album packaging in the concept.

Enter Pink Floyd. After the loss of Syd in the psychedelic 60's they struggled for an identity. None were particularly talented musicians (that was supposed to be Syd's part), although Gilmour turned into a truly special guitarist. Before they released Meddle, a PF release would have a decent song or two with a lethal dose of psychedelic filler ... or worse. I still don't like the title track from Atom Heart Mother. but side 2 is OK. And although Meddle wasn't a concept album, in hindsight you can see it was the tune-up for a great one.

With Dark Side of the Moon, Roger Waters took greater control of the songwriting, including the concepts. He gave sound effects a more prominent part. The album packaging was fully involved the concept. Gilmour continued the musical evolution he found on Meddle. But to me DSOTM is king of CAs because any part of it can convey an independent idea or story, yet when combined the overall theme is so much bigger than the individual parts. You need not listen to Money to fully understand what Time is about, but the two are related in the context of "things that drive men mad" (the briefest explanation of the overriding theme of the album). Every song that has lyrics, has great lyrics. And the guitar work is stunning.

Next is the album of the hour, the one that instigated this thread, WYWH. Its partially a tribute to Syd and partially an inditement of the music business. Those two themes are related in that the "You" in Wish You Were Here is Syd and the "Here" is the level of success the band was having. Awesome packaging touting a theme of surrealism... what's real and what isn't, like with mental illness. Also a new musical twist called bookending. I think it was just new for PF though, I'm pretty sure others had already done it (like Sgt. Pepper?). The album starts and ends with Shine On You Crazy Diamond (who is Syd of course). I love the way the song musically builds. And I think it offers some of Gilmours best guitar work, ever. It has the best sound effects. The radio tuning and the entry/exit on the "machine" are classic.

Next up is Animals, inspired by George Orwell's Animal Farm. The pigs are the politicians, the dogs are the corporate magnates, and we are the sheep. For me, things drop off a bit here. The lyrics aren't as good, the music has more filler, the concept isn't as clever. But to many its their favorite PF release. The fantastic Gilmour guitar work is still there, including some of his best riffs. Less sound effects. More bookending.

On to The Wall. Like I said... really its a rock opera. It was conceived as a film from the start I believe. You can google the concept on your own for this one if you need to. I thought this was better at the time of release than I did in later years. I always thought it was a step down musically. But think of how high DSOTM and WYWH set the bar to begin with. It too has some fantastic lyrics, but not universally so.

The PF finale is The Final Cut, better known as the first Roger Waters solo album. I like parts of it... the Gunners Dream and Two Suns are PF worthy. Not Now John is a hoot. There certainly is a concept expressed, but the magic Gilmour moments are few and far between.

Still, even with the later albums not quite living up to the earlier ones, it was a great string of concept albums. Not one you are likely to see repeated for quite some time. The Water-less Floyd produced Floyd like music without as much concept while the Floyd-less Waters produced a lot of concepts with a growing emphasis on politics, but with no Gilmour magic at all.

PF gave us the CAs that came to define the CA genre.

Last edited:
I want to say why I consider Pink Floyd to be "all that".... and I'm not trying to convince anyone to see it my way, especially Q , because I like his posts and I usually agree with him. He's got a right not to like any given performer, for whatever reasons he feels are valid.

But I gotta come clean.... the hippie jokes just made me :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Anyway, what follows is only my opinion and memories. You are welcome to point out any inaccuracies.

Not so much an inaccuracy, but Floyd did a series of Concept Concerts, starting loosely with Games For May in 1967, their first foray into surround sound (remember surround sound?), and more formally, the twin concepts of The Man and The Journey, which they started performing in the spring of 1969.

Since neither of these was released commercially until the Early Years box set, when the Amsterdam 9/17/69 show was included, these are easy bits of the Floyd legacy to miss. But it just adds to the idea of the Floyd playing with unified conceptual presentations even very early in their career.

Like 'em or hate 'em, it is hard to ignore the many contributions that Pink Floyd have made to popular culture.

The question posed was this "Someone please tell me how these guys were popular?"

While that question does not carry the same weight as, say "Someone please tell me how Martin Luther King's I have a dream speech was pivotal?", each is an interesting enough question that it can warrant educated discussion.

So I put forth me ideas for the discussion, and encouraged discussion from others. That's all. Fun.

I was referring to the question in the thread title: What's the big deal with Pink Floyd? "Someone please tell me how these guys were so popular" is not even a question; it's a request. But I'm not excluding myself from my observation; after all, I posted in this thread, didn't I?

Back