What's The Big Deal With Pink Floyd?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

28qmtf.jpg

I saw Pink Floyd in 1975 [big snip] IIRC, Floyd played WYWH & Animals in their entirety

You may be thinking of 1977. The standard set list was:

1. Sheep
2. Pigs on the Wing 1
3. Dogs
4. Pigs on the Wing 2
5. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
[intermission]
6. WYWH in its entirety in the same sequence as the album
[encore break]
7. Money
8. Us and Them

And, just once, on May 9, 1977:
9. Careful with that Axe, Eugene

Not that I am in any way so obsessed as to have been able to type this from memory. Oh no, not me. I'm totally normal. Yeah. Normal.

1. Sheep
2. Pigs on the Wing 1
3. Dogs
4. Pigs on the Wing 2
[intermission]
[encore break]
7. Money
8. Us and Them

Not that I am in any way so obsessed as to have been able to type this from memory. Oh no, not me. I'm totally normal. Yeah. Normal.

The show I saw in Philly only had Money for an encore. What a gyp, man!!! :mad: :cry::cry::cry: :LOL::LOL::LOL:

But seriously, among the most sublime shows I've ever experienced. And my 1st surround sound concert!

We were 1st row 2nd level, dead center. We looked up and saw the huge stack o speakers directly behind us and were anticipating how they'd be used, but still weren't ready for that airplane to take off right behind and felt like ducking as it whooshed overhead towards the stage. Perfect way to start: a lift-off for the wild ride ahead.

1. Sheep
2. Pigs on the Wing 1
3. Dogs
4. Pigs on the Wing 2
[intermission]
[encore break]
7. Money
8. Us and Them

You could absolutely be right, atrocity. Thinking back, hmmm, got out of the Army, worked hard for a few years, got divorced about 1974/75....yeah concert definitely could have been about '77. I had a whole bunch of forum-based conversations with others that went to the Tampa show, but all that died, of course, gone with one of the several HDD's that have quit. Thanks for jogging my memory!

Absolutely can hardly believe so many years have gone by since that Q8 of DSOTM, bought in a PX along with a Panasonic Q8 player, brought me into the world of Floyd.
Man, I'm getting old, but with some great memories to show for it...at least music-wise. Without music, I think I would have turned out very different.
...music took the noise out of a young man's head and replaced with a theme for every day.

After being into Quad for the bulk portion of 20 years, and after many, many attempts; I finally scored a half-assed copy of this Q8.
Without much further ado, I can safely say: I still don't really get Pink Floyd. Someone please tell me how these guys were popular?

There's a few tracks from DSOTM that I think are ok: Money in particular. I like some of their 60's output like Arnold Layne.... but in my mind, they're just lazy musicians.
Nothing really stands out as particularly brilliant. I'm sure there's some technical aspects that some people might dig like their ability to play in 7/8 time or whatever but it just seems like lazy, drugged-out hippie music to me.

The mix on the Q8 is typical for the era. Drums up front. Stuff in the corners. Most of the time there's not a lot going on so you get some silent (hissy) channels for much of the songs.

A solid "meh" from me.
Good Surround.
Decent Fidelity.
Uninspiring Content.
I think lots had to do with the era they were popular. It wasn't until DSOTM that they started to become popular, and some of it had to do with the substance that was being used at the time-LSD. Music takes on new meaning under influence of the substance. This, is what happened here.

I think lots had to do with the era they were popular. It wasn't until DSOTM that they started to become popular, and some of it had to do with the substance that was being used at the time-LSD. Music takes on new meaning under influence of the substance. This, is what happened here.
I respectfully disagree. It certainly wasn't acid that made me and others I knew fans, although I agree it was definitely DSOTM. Before DSOTM I had never even heard of them, that I can remember. But who knows, there was so much music coming out and the Tampa Bay area had several underground stations with a variety of rock listening opportunities. In 1973 while I still had base priviledges I snagged the Q8 & Q8 player and fell in love. lol.

I have no skin in the game of pantheons but after perusing this thread I decided to go down an Internet rabbit hole. The video embedded below being the best result. It won't change minds but anyone who finds their way to a forum like this may find it worth their time for its wealth of insights into engineering, mixing and so on.

This BBC treasure breaks down the multi tracks of several songs. Being less familiar with the Barrett era, I skipped that section but loved the rest as it analyzes the sonic architecture of DSotM and WYWH. It’s fascinating to hear isolated elements played and discussed. Hearing the vocal warm-up for “Great Gig” and part of the dry original vocal is a treat.

Highly recommended.

Carry on, folks.

Last edited:
I have no skin in the game of pantheons but after perusing this thread I decided to go down an Internet rabbit hole. The video embedded below being the best result. It won't change minds but anyone who finds their way to a forum like this may find it worth their time for its wealth of insights into engineering, mixing and so on.

This BBC treasure breaks down the multi tracks of several songs. Being less familiar with the Barrett era, I skipped that section but loved the rest as it analyzes the sonic architecture of DSotM and WYWH. It’s fascinating to hear isolated elements played and discussed. Hearing the vocal warm-up for “Great Gig” and part of the dry original vocal is a treat.

Highly recommended.

Am checking this now. According to the comments with the clip on YouTube there are some factual errors, but one cannot deny that having access to these raw materials is fantastic for any fan. I would love this for every track of every album! Thanks for posting this link!

Highly recommended.

Carry on, folks.

This is brilliant!

May be blasphemy to some, but I think if Steven Wilson's (and others) recording influence and music had been around back in PF's day, he would have been a strong contender to take whatever genre you associate with Floyd and give it a good run.
-But everything comes in it's time, it's said. I don't know, and I surely enjoy Quadio, e.g.-
...and if that's true, (and I surely enjoyed and still enjoy the now very old Pink Floyd works such as WYWH, DSOTM, Animals, etc.,) then I may have found a "resurrection" of sorts in the Chicago Quadio BD's, and my new love of almost anything Steven Wilson. Who'd a thought it...a new love in my late 60's. Ain't it great? I hope this makes sense, lol, stream of consciousness typing.
EDIT: I still love David Gilmour

Another tangent.....I would pay good money for some sort of multi-channel version of Floyd's debut album. Wow!!! That would be the most fun....

Another tangent.....I would pay good money for some sort of multi-channel version of Floyd's debut album. Wow!!! That would be the most fun....
Now THAT is what is part of what fun coming here is...people that love music, just, well..love it. All permuatations are welcome, and some are embraced by the majority and some are not. Who cares? It's all good, my friends.

Highly recommended.

Carry on, folks.

Outstanding. Thank you.

My recommendation is to listen to this with headphones.

May be blasphemy to some, but I think if Steven Wilson's (and others) recording influence and music had been around back in PF's day, he would have been a strong contender to take whatever genre you associate with Floyd and give it a good run.
-But everything comes in it's time, it's said. I don't know, and I surely enjoy Quadio, e.g.-
...and if that's true, (and I surely enjoyed and still enjoy the now very old Pink Floyd works such as WYWH, DSOTM, Animals, etc.,) then I may have found a "resurrection" of sorts in the Chicago Quadio BD's, and my new love of almost anything Steven Wilson. Who'd a thought it...a new love in my late 60's. Ain't it great? I hope this makes sense, lol, stream of consciousness typing.
EDIT: I still love David Gilmour

If Steven Wilson was around in the 1970s he'd have had no one to be ..er "inspired" by, particularly not Pink Floyd, whose music permeates his output in much the same way as the word "Blackpool" runs through a stick of seaside rock.

If Steven Wilson was around in the 1970s he'd have had no one to be ..er "inspired" by, particularly not Pink Floyd, whose music permeates his output in much the same way as the word "Blackpool" runs through a stick of seaside rock.
Okay....but I was sort of looking at it the other way around. But if you don't like Wilson, that's Okay too. But I did note "other" influences could have been at play, but of course we have not a time machine.

I walked into a record store in Ocean City Maryland on vacation in '74 and the clocks went off for Time. I had to have that album.
Not one bit of regret. Still a fan.

Back