What's The Big Deal With Pink Floyd?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a time, many years ago in a small place, reading Zap magazine and the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros, anything R Crumb, et al, where my first wife and I would sleep to my Q8 of DSOTM. It just....fit into our lives.
Years later (and divorced) I saw Pink Floyd in 1975 at the old Tampa Stadium, where a group of friends and l sat around the goalpost and had a few hours of absolute joy, even though my girl was behaving like what she was-a young spoiled bitch. Anyway, the crowd was super!

There was the usual cup fights that passed up and down the stadium pre-concert, huuuge frisbees being tossed (one hit my girl 'up side the head! hee hee) The crowd was great about maintaining a wide path from close to where I was sitting all the way up the field to the stage barrier. No fights, no nasty people, no one trying to crawl up the stage, just everyone groovin. Huuuuge animals floating! PA's set up in Quad about the stadium! ...dogs, echoing from one speaker to the next, circling a stadium so freaking quiet you thought you were in church-which you were, come to think of it.

IIRC, Floyd played WYWH & Animals in their entirety, then did Money for an encore. Afterwards, some sat numbly for a bit. (me) People filed out of the stadium slowly, and almost orderly, somewhat dazed....I like to think from the sheer ecstasy of the experience, but, hell, coulda been the Pink Berkely, who knows.
This is all true to the best of my memory. Since then, 2 of the folks that made the trip with us have passed, I recently learned. None of them have I seen in 30+ years. But the experience will always be a part of me.

Floyd is one of the few bands that played live gigs in surround sound. That is a pretty big deal. Sorry if that has already been mentioned. The thread title seems pretty dumb considering how many multichannel releases the band has and how popular DSOTM alone is. The, I am cool because I don't like something the majority does, is ridiculous. I see it a lot over at SHF. Not as much here. There are many things that I am not in to. Proudly declaring them in individual thread posts is something very peculiar to me personally.

I know, right? Why not just say something bad about my mother?
At least then there'd be some validity to the argument! :LOL:

My momma's so fat when God said, "Let there be light," he asked momma to move out the way.

If you were into the Floyd more, you would have said, "Let there beeb more light"!

I usually don't get involved with these type of posts and I'm not gong to create any right or wrongs.

All I want to say is Pink Floyd for me is simply 'great music' purely simple as that.

I usually don't get involved with these type of posts and I'm not gong to create any right or wrongs.

All I want to say is Pink Floyd for me is simply 'great music' purely simple as that.
At heart, I'm a hard-core jazz/rock/metal kind of guy, but Pink Floyd is an absolute monster of a band. A huge influence to anyone fluent. Vinnie Colaiuta is probably my favorite drummer, but some of his favorites are Ringo and Keith Moon.
default_buttrock.gif

Back