whats the difference? cd-4 lp or burned dvd. Frank Zappa content.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elguapo511

i have had mucho success with sq Lps and decoders and all, but my cd-4 spinning always leaves me wondering if its all working.

I have the ivc, and the light works, but its can be quite cumbersome getting things rolling.

So I got my hands on a burned copy of FZ overnight sensation.
Its a dvd but only four channels. Im not sure really how it works or what the file is, but its is sourced from the CD-4 LP.

its all very discrete and sounds fine, but Im wondering what the difference, if its on a disc like this. convenient as all hell,

but am I missing any content? it kinds just seems like four different programs, not a lot of blending.

So, Im sure these discs are completely off the grid, but all things aside, what does a purist think about the sound?

and thats all right people, Im just crazy enough to sing to you.

Ok...I'm a bit confused but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

i have had mucho success with sq Lps and decoders and all, but my cd-4 spinning always leaves me wondering if its all working.

I have the ivc, and the light works, but its can be quite cumbersome getting things rolling.

Awesome! I went through a few demodulators before I settled on my Panasonic SE-405. CD-4 is quite finicky, but once you get it right the results can be stellar.

So I got my hands on a burned copy of FZ overnight sensation.
Its a dvd but only four channels. Im not sure really how it works or what the file is, but its is sourced from the CD-4 LP.

What you've got is a fan-made conversion from a quad source. There are thousands of these "out there" made from 8-tracks, reels, and various types of quad vinyl. Zappa's Overnight Sensation was issued on CD-4 vinyl, Q8, and quad reel, so this disc you have could be from any of those. Usually the converter will somehow note their source on the disc menu or in a separate text file.

its all very discrete and sounds fine, but Im wondering what the difference, if its on a disc like this. convenient as all hell,

but am I missing any content? it kinds just seems like four different programs, not a lot of blending.

Not really sure what you're trying to say here...if you're asking why the disc exists, I would guess the answer would be for several reasons, two of which come to mind:
1. To preserve the recording in an up-to-date format
2. To allow surround fans without legacy quad systems to hear it

Regarding your comment about "blending": I was under the impression that the two Zappa quads are not exactly discrete masterpieces- more like "double stereo" with the occasional panning gimmick.

So, Im sure these discs are completely off the grid, but all things aside, what does a purist think about the sound?

and thats all right people, Im just crazy enough to sing to you.

Again I'm confused...yes, these discs are not official releases. Regarding the sound, I've heard a lot of conversions (I've even done a few myself) and it's amazing how good some of these old records and tapes can sound once you clean them up digitally or use good equipment.

Last edited:
you are missing the liner notes.. it's one of the few Zappa discs I own.. and it's not very expensive (last time I checked)...

You are missing out on the tech notes...e.g., the live song recorded in a room the configuration is all fckd up!!!

EDIT : oops.. wrong release!!!

I’m wondering if the conversion of these discs into a discrete four channel disc removes any of the “magic”

Forgive the lack of knowing what I’m talking about

But the sq and the matrix decoding seems to overlap a lot. And the vario matrix , what ever that is, does itunsmooh ?

I’m wondering if the conversion of these discs into a discrete four channel disc removes any of the “magic”

Forgive the lack of knowing what I’m talking about

All those discs are is a digital capture of the quad record or tape playing- you can hear it play back over and over again without the risk of wearing out the vinyl or seeing the 8-track bite the dust. You're not at any disadvantage listening to a conversion instead of playing back quad media as originally intended over 40 years ago.

I agree there is a certain "magic" to playing vinyl on a nice setup (and with quad it's even cooler seeing the lights and meters activate on those old decoders), but to me a digital backup is always the safe option.

But the sq and the matrix decoding seems to overlap a lot. And the vario matrix , what ever that is, does itunsmooh ?

Variomatrix is a QS decoding method invented by Sansui in the mid-1970s. It works extremely well as a decoder of QS-encoded quad LPs and as a surround synthesizer of stereo material. A single band variomatrix decoder was featured in Sansui's QSD-2 unit and several of their QRX series receivers. A tri-band version was featured in the QSD-1 unit.

I would argue that Involve Audio's surround master unit (also tri band) offers results just as good if not better than an old variomatrix decoder.

Back