What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another aspect, beside the recording, has got to be your system and speakers specifically. I remember years ago when I had some middle of the road Boston Acoustics speakers; I'd listen to those Sting dts discs and thought they sounded horribly bright and ear bleeders at higher volumes. Once I got some better speakers (for me anyway) Martin Logan, those discs tended to smooth out considerably.

That's true about systems...but it's not the big disparity it was "back in the day"...the gap is closer now...even moderately priced receivers now are much better than they were back then...but high end does make a difference(y)

That's true about systems...but it's not the big disparity it was "back in the day"...the gap is closer now...even moderately priced receivers now are much better than they were back then...but high end does make a difference(y)

Yes that sounds right, it is all so subjective. For example for years I was dead set on buying some high end Paradigm speakers until I auditioned them and ended up preferring the MartinLogans, because the high end seemed smoother to me (the M.L.s have those folded motion tweeter thing a ma jigs!):LOL:

Yes that sounds right, it is all so subjective. For example for years I was dead set on buying some high end Paradigm speakers until I auditioned them and ended up preferring the MartinLogans, because the high end seemed smoother to me (the M.L.s have those folded motion tweeter thing a ma jigs!):LOL:

You have to keep in mind the acoustics in your listening area...when you demo high end equipment it's usually in a room with acoustic panels or other sonic treatments...nobody has the same environments and your home would be different...and speakers do have different characteristics....a lot of variables...

Peter Banks's Harmony In Diversity - The Complete Recordings; 2.0 CD
Just received this 6 CD collection of Peter's work with his improvisational trio Harmony In Diversity earlier today and spent a good chunk of my day listening to the 5 hours of incredible music contained therein. As many know, Banks was the original guitarist in Yes before he was fired and Steve Howe took over. I personally love Howe's playing and really never had a chance to listen to Banks, but this set is a mind blowing collection of unrehearsed music that shouldn't be missed. Highly recommended!

Peter Banks's Harmony In Diversity - The Complete Recordings; 2.0 CD
Just received this 6 CD collection of Peter's work with his improvisational trio Harmony In Diversity earlier today and spent a good chunk of my day listening to the 5 hours of incredible music contained therein. As many know, Banks was the original guitarist in Yes before he was fired and Steve Howe took over. I personally love Howe's playing and really never had a chance to listen to Banks, but this set is a mind blowing collection of unrehearsed music that shouldn't be missed. Highly recommended!
I forgot to add that I obtained this amazing 6 CD collection from Amazon US for a paltry $20!!!

Too many posts to quote here.

Clint, I also have the Japan Middle Man CD. It sounds great and features one of my fave Boz tracks, Breakdown Dead Ahead. Anyone with a good to high-end system needs to play this track LOUD!! Candy's Room from Bruce's Darkness album also begs to be cranked up. IMHO, his best album. With an MC cartridge, these tracks have an "in your face" dynamic range on LP.

I also bought the Japan Boz Hits CD. It doesn't have Breakdown. Later, when the US CD came out, it did have the US LP lineup, including Breakdown. So, I rebought it. Spending $40 for these 2 CD's proves I'm nuts. I got the LP for free when I worked for CBS, Middle Man, too. And that didn't sound bad. Careful, CBS' eye is on you!

Someone asked if I had the new Ronstadt live. No, I do not. Likely you read hwkn's earlier post in this thread.

We were dealers for Martin Logan, Boston, Klipsch, KEF, Polk and lots more. So, I'm very familiar with the sound of many different speakers.

Flat response, coloration, room acoustics, electronics, source material & mastering all have a hand in the sound. How far are the speaks from walls/corners and are they de-coupled from floor on stands, mounts, shelves, or spikes? I inherited a couple speaks that have lots of coloration.

Although we were a Logan dealer, I chose Missions w/REL sub. They sound pretty neutral to me. Sadly, this UK firm no longer markets in the US. Reproducing classical and acoustic instruments accurately is my aim, although I listen to mostly rock. Speakers designed for rock often perform poorly on classical. Often, they're too muddy for my taste. Speakers that are acurate on Classical usually sound excellent on rock.

Besides Missions, I have Bostons w/DVD-A/V in my car, Polks in the bedroom, and Philips 3-way 12", plus a hodgepodge of E/V, Kenwood, DLK being utilized, others not. And then, there are the 6 speaks in the Sony HTIB I inherited when Dad passed. Well, it was free and it plays SACD.

Pupster & 4 ears (eyes, too?), I haven't heard the Japan SHM-SACD of Low Spark. I did buy the MoFi Gold CD and the UK CD when they were released. IMHO, the MoFi is the best version I have heard. Obviously, I can't speak for the SHM-SACD. Last Feb., we spent a weekend hearing/seeing/meeting Kelsea Ballerini on Friday, and Winwood on Saturday. We had seen Winwood previously with Clapton, and opening for Steely Dan.

Swenson, I love Burt Bacharach and Sergio Mendes. There is a largely unknown QS LP/CD of Burt Live in Japan. I met Burt several years ago. Very nice man. Mendes is one of my 5 favorite artists/groups. I recommend seeing/hearing Brazil '66, etc. live.

Yesterday, as I sat for a pedicure, I caught up on reading a few QQ posts. A PM came from one of our members asking if I was OK. Yes, I was. And I happened to be on line that very moment, again reading but not posting. It was very touching. I often will forget to respond if I'm interrupted reading while waiting for an appt. Most of the time that I'm on QQ, I'm reading, but not posting.

Remember, the Mouse Police never sleeps...

Last edited:
Too many posts to quote here.

Pupster & 4 ears (eyes, too?), I haven't heard the Japan SHM-SACD of Low Spark. I did buy the MoFi Gold CD and the UK CD when they were released. IMHO, the MoFi is the best version I have heard. Obviously, I can't speak for the SHM-SACD. Last Feb., we spent a weekend hearing/seeing/meeting Kelsea Ballerini on Friday, and Winwood on Saturday. We had seen Winwood previously with Clapton, and opening for Steely Dan.

Swenson, I love Burt Bacharach and Sergio Mendes. There is a largely unknown QS LP/CD of Burt Live in Japan. I met Burt several years ago. Very nice man. Mendes is one of my 5 favorite artists/groups. I recommend seeing/hearing Brazil '66, etc. live.

Yesterday, as I sat for a pedicure, I caught up on reading a few QQ posts. A PM came from one of our members asking if I was OK. Yes, I was. And I happened to be on line that very moment, again reading but not posting. It was very touching. I often will forget to respond if I'm interrupted reading while waiting for an appt. Most of the time that I'm on QQ, I'm reading, but not posting.

Remember, the Mouse Police never sleeps...

Wow Quad Goddess, really covered a lot on that one.

As far as Low Spark, Ralphie (4-ear...) misspoke, there is a Japan SHM-SACD for "JOHN BARLEYCORN", but none for Low Spark.
Other than maybe one of the LPs ???, I thought the MoFi Gold CD would have the good sound; I figured if anybody would know, it would be you.(y) Now I have to try and find one at a decent price.:rolleyes:

OK, I have a question. Can anyone here recommend good versions of the first 3 Deep purple albums on CD. I've purchased a couple in the past and they all sucked. Sounded like boots. Got rid of them all. I have all of them as first pressings but would rather not wear them out. Also have all 3 on reel but they are all 3.75 IPS. I think Deep purple 2 and 3 are masterpieces.

I got a couple of them on sealed US CD's I found in a cut out bin at Rose Records (RIP) for a dollar. They sounded like absolute shit. Not even worth a buck.

In '95, I found this EMI UK box set, which I thought sounded fine: https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-The-Originals/release/1835231

I also bought vol. 2 w/UK EMI CD's of 3 later albums:
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-The-Originals-Vol-2/release/4432261

I believe most of the US pressings of the first 3 are 92nd generation copies. The first three were originally officially released in the US on the short-lived Tetragrammaton Records:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton_Records

Who even owns/owned the US rights to these records now?

I'd gladly pay extra for real EMI UK versions of those three albums.

IMHO, 3 3/4" pre-recorded reels are very sub standard compared to pre-recorded 7 1/2". I have 7 1/2" pre-recorded reels that sound markedly better than even their SACD counterparts. Miles' Filles de Kilamanjaro reel smokes the Japan SACD. Using half as much tape is the only reason (for the record labels/tape duplicators) to use this speed.

Last edited:
I got a couple of them on sealed US CD's I found in a cut out bin at Rose Records (RIP) for a dollar. They sounded like absolute shit. Not even worth a buck.

In '95, I found this EMI UK box set, which I thought sounded fine: https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-The-Originals/release/1835231

I also bought vol. 2 w/UK EMI CD's of 3 later albums:
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-The-Originals-Vol-2/release/4432261

I believe most of the US pressings of the first 3 are 92nd generation copies. The first three were originally officially released in the US on the short-lived Tetragrammaton Records:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton_Records

Who even owns/owned the US rights to these records now?

I'd gladly pay extra for real EMI UK versions of those three albums.

IMHO, 3 3/4" pre-recorded reels are very sub standard compared to pre-recorded 7 1/2". I have 7 1/2" pre-recorded reels that sound markedly better than even their SACD counterparts. Miles' Filles de Kilamanjaro reel smokes the Japan SACD. Using half as much tape is the only reason (for the record labels/tape duplicators) to use this speed.

It's amazing Linda, how you 'encapsulated' the music business' abject practices in a nutshell.

WHY embark on a release project if you ain't got the goods....meaning the absolute master tapes. Utilizing second/third generation dupes just doesn't cut the mustard.

Why 80's and early 90's RBCDs sound BETTER than subsequent 'REMASTERS' with supposedly newer/better technology is a REAL CROCK.

And when the majors decided to go 3 3/4 ips to SAVE TAPE was the absolute end, IMO, to the advantages of Open Reel collecting versus inferior 8 tracks and Cassettes and poor quality vinyl.

I will NEVER feel a bit of pity for the ruthless music conglomerates OR artists who allow their masters to be abused as they have been over the years. IMO, a REMASTER should be JUST THAT .... an IMPROVEMENT over what came before.

That we EVEN HAD TO PAY PREMIUM PRICES for 1/2 speed remasters, 24K Gold RBCDs, 180~200g CUSTOM PRESSINGS points to a DEFINITE DEFICIT on the part of the RECORD CONGLOMERATES for their failure to give us the GOLD in the first place!

And I'm SO tired of being ridiculed for decrying the use of LOSSY CODECS such as DTS 96/24 or DD 5.1 when releasing CURRENT 5.1 remixes in that utilizing LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1/ STEREO which does NOT require royalty payments of any kind would be FEASIBLE....and IMO, preferable! In the end, it's MOST CERTAINLY OUR LOSS ..... not their's!

Last edited:
It's amazing Linda, how you 'encapsulated' the music business' abject practices in a nutshell.

WHY embark on a release project if you ain't got the goods....meaning the absolute master tapes. Utilizing second/third generation dupes just doesn't cut the mustard.

Why 80's and early 90's RBCDs sound BETTER than subsequent 'REMASTERS' with supposedly newer/better technology is a REAL CROCK.

And when the majors decided to go 3 3/4 ips to SAVE TAPE was the absolute end, IMO, to the advantages of Open Reel collecting versus inferior 8 tracks and Cassettes and poor quality vinyl.

I will NEVER feel a bit of pity for the ruthless music conglomerates OR artists who allow their masters to be abused as they have been over the years. IMO, a REMASTER should be JUST THAT .... an IMPROVEMENT over what came before.

That we EVEN HAD TO PAY PREMIUM PRICES for 1/2 speed remasters, 24K Gold RBCDs, 180~200g CUSTOM PRESSINGS points to a DEFINITE DEFICIT on the part of the RECORD CONGLOMERATES to give us the GOLD in the first place!

And I'm SO tired of being ridiculed for decrying the use of LOSSY CODECS such as DTS 96/24 or DD 5.1 when releasing CURRENT 5.1 remasters when utilizing LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1/ STEREO which do NOT require royalty payments of any kind would be FEASIBLE....and IMO, preferable!

Linda RULES! I would love to have an afternoon with her just to hear her talk music. That would be amazing........

That we EVEN HAD TO PAY PREMIUM PRICES for 1/2 speed remasters, 24K Gold RBCDs, 180~200g CUSTOM PRESSINGS points to a DEFINITE DEFICIT on the part of the RECORD CONGLOMERATES for their failure to give us the GOLD in the first place!

And I'm SO tired of being ridiculed for decrying the use of LOSSY CODECS such as DTS 96/24 or DD 5.1 when releasing CURRENT 5.1 remasters when utilizing LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1/ STEREO which does NOT require royalty payments of any kind would be FEASIBLE....and IMO, preferable! In the end, it's MOST CERTAINLY OUR LOSS ..... not their's!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

130626Snakehissing2.jpg

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Back