What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
130626Snakehissing2.jpg

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: Ooops, Too much fiber.

20190210_121612.jpg

Some of you may not know that in the late 70's actor Tim Curry decided to take a stab at rock 'n' roll stardom. He released three albums on A&M between 1978 - 1981. Although the single "I Do the Rock" (from the second album, Fearless) got a little airplay, the albums went relatively unnoticed. Quirky records to be sure, but I've always liked them. A pretty impressive roster of talent was involved with these records: Michael Kamen, Bob Ezrin, Earl Slick, David Sanborn, Nils Lofgren, and many others. The albums are a mix of original material and covers from a wide range of songwriters including The Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Squeeze, Irving Berlin, Burth Bacharach & Hal David, Bob Dylan, The Move and more.

Although A&M issued a "best of" compilation in the late 80's, the full albums had never been available on CD before. I just discovered that a year ago a French label called Bad Reputation released the three full albums on CD. The photo below will tell you that Bad Reputation is indeed a good name for the label. The top is the wav form for the track "Charge It" from the A&M best of. The bottom is the same track from the Bad Reputation reissue. As you can see, it's brickwalled to death. Sad to see (and hear) given physical media's impending doom, it's unlikely that another label will ever put these out. Still glad to have them on CD even if they don't sound great. And fortunately they weren't very expensive ($10/each at importcds.) Now if someone wanted to do a 5.1 mix.......

Untitled-1.jpg

I got a couple of them on sealed US CD's I found in a cut out bin at Rose Records (RIP) for a dollar. They sounded like absolute shit. Not even worth a buck.

In '95, I found this EMI UK box set, which I thought sounded fine: https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-The-Originals/release/1835231

I also bought vol. 2 w/UK EMI CD's of 3 later albums:
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-The-Originals-Vol-2/release/4432261

I believe most of the US pressings of the first 3 are 92nd generation copies. The first three were originally officially released in the US on the short-lived Tetragrammaton Records:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton_Records

Who even owns/owned the US rights to these records now?

I'd gladly pay extra for real EMI UK versions of those three albums.

IMHO, 3 3/4" pre-recorded reels are very sub standard compared to pre-recorded 7 1/2". I have 7 1/2" pre-recorded reels that sound markedly better than even their SACD counterparts. Miles' Filles de Kilamanjaro reel smokes the Japan SACD. Using half as much tape is the only reason (for the record labels/tape duplicators) to use this speed.
Thanks for the info. I think I will purchase that box set. If you like it that's good enough for me.
The LP's I have of the first three on Tetragrammaton records I purchased new when first released so I believe they are all original pressings. They all sound fantastic but like I said I do not want to wear them out.
I would also like to know who owns the rights now. And where are the masters.
Also goes without saying that I would be first in line to purchase these if they were ever released in multi channel. Dream on.

View attachment 38384

Some of you may not know that in the late 70's actor Tim Curry decided to take a stab at rock 'n' roll stardom. He released three albums on A&M between 1978 - 1981. Although the single "I Do the Rock" (from the second album, Fearless) got a little airplay, the albums went relatively unnoticed. Quirky records to be sure, but I've always liked them. A pretty impressive roster of talent was involved with these records: Michael Kamen, Bob Ezrin, Earl Slick, David Sanborn, Nils Lofgren, and many others. The albums are a mix of original material and covers from a wide range of songwriters including The Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Squeeze, Irving Berlin, Burth Bacharach & Hal David, Bob Dylan, The Move and more.

Although A&M issued a "best of" compilation in the late 80's, the full albums had never been available on CD before. I just discovered that a year ago a French label called Bad Reputation released the three full albums on CD. The photo below will tell you that Bad Reputation is indeed a good name for the label. The top is the wav form for the track "Charge It" from the A&M best of. The bottom is the same track from the Bad Reputation reissue. As you can see, it's brickwalled to death. Sad to see (and hear) given physical media's impending doom, it's unlikely that another label will ever put these out. Still glad to have them on CD even if they don't sound great. And fortunately they weren't very expensive ($10/each at importcds.) Now if someone wanted to do a 5.1 mix.......

View attachment 38386

I JUST got all three!! I used to listen to a collection of tracks I managed to put my hands on for years while everything including the best of album was out of print. There's almost as much bad shit on these albums as there is brilliance, but the brilliance is worth it. The two live tracks from the best of collection are also amazing, Alan is better than the studio version imho, it's a shame they didn't also release the entire concert. Too bad this was a side project for him, the good stuff on these albums is really lovely and he's a wonderful, wonderful singer.

What's your assessment, Marpow?
I actually listened to it yesterday and I was quite surprised how good it was. I have a lot of Fillmore live recordings and some sound very muddy, but this does not. Cool to hear Bill Graham do the intro.
I looked at the DR results and quite surprised to see 10, 11, and 12's.
I love it.

Back to the past for me...I tend to gravitate toward the Steve Hoffman mastered CDs...those who are familiar with the Do Wop bands of the 50s and 60's know who Dion(and the Belmonts)DiMucci is....he was elected in the Rock n Roll HOF by Lou Reed...well here is some of his solo work from 1978 on Lifesong Records which ended up as a DCC re-issue...

This purchase falls under the "fun" category....a time machine disc....another DCC project with Steve Hoffman mastering...it's a Radio Broadcast from the late 60's...complete with commericals...what a trip this is...if I was still getting stoned I'd fire up a joint and turn out all the lights and put this baby on...this is just pure "back in the day" flashbacks for me...and some cool music...I am hoping someone from the Bay area...like Marpow...can add some local flavor to the story of this radio station and Tom Donahue and KSAN(call sign at that time)Radio....this sounds like another guy like Cleveland Disc Jockey Alan Freed....

Back