What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All Directions - The Temptations (CD-4)

2nd copy, in much better condition than my 1st 🕵️‍♂️

F0D0EA18-E7F5-4A1C-8226-4F726E58D796.jpeg

0999D746-ABCC-40DD-844E-FBCFD8D0EA1B.jpeg

QUOTE="jefe1, post: 426867, member: 1349"]
Wow BBGQuad you must hold the world's reserve of Japanese quad records. I think I would faint if I saw your collection. Don't tell the Japanese where you live...... :)
[/QUOTE]

Hi. jefe1

Never fear I would invite them over for Surround party …………:QQlove:51QQ:QQlove

Just got these in the mail. Look new! I will play them later on my FR3080 with AT440mla later when I can enjoy them. I know the separation is not that great , but that's ok. View attachment 40520

if only it were the other way around and Music were a CD-4 and Tapestry QS.. o_O ;)

if only it were the other way around and Music were a CD-4 and Tapestry QS.. o_O ;)

Well, there is one King CD-4 LP unaccounted for (4D-20)...so maybe there is a Music CD-4 as well? Could be a variety of titles I suppose, as stuff from A&M, Ode, CTI, Vanguard, London, and others is fair game for that series. Amazing that after all these years, no one knows what that title is.

Music on the Q8 didn't wow me too much. According to that diagram that comes with the QS LP, there's instruments panned to all four corners and all phantom positions simultaneously (front center, back center, left center, right center, dead center), so I think you'd have to be sitting in the exact spot in a system with perfectly equidistant speakers to get the results the engineer wanted.

I agree the mix on Music isn't knockout 4-corner discrete, but given the nature of the music (no pun intended) and that it's a singer-songwriter who plays piano, I think the nature of the mix (lead vocals in all 4, with the piano in FL+FR and RL which I think emulates the triangular shape of a grand piano as seen from overhead) suits it, and gives the music the sense of intimacy it deserves.

I always found those Ode Q8's to be kind of crusty sounding, which I think is especially detrimental to quieter more nuanced music like Carole King's that doesn't saturate the tape with lots of high volume stuff. Like I said, these aren't Enoch Light-style ping-pong quad showoff albums, but they'd really benefit (Music, Rhymes and Reasons and Fantasy, Tapestry is 100% a clang-clang reverb upmix job) from being freed from the shackles of the shortcomings of the QS, CD-4 and Q8 formats via a SACD reissue.

I meant to add, I love the mix diagram on Music, I wish more quad albums (especially matrix encoded ones) would've done this kind of thing, I think it would've raised awareness amongst end users that the placement of voices and instruments in the rear speakers was an intended and carefully considered thing on the part of the producers and engineers.

car-mus-lp-3.jpg

wake_cd4.jpg

Just came in today. Quite an improvement over the SQ vinyl, but I'm still not all that impressed with the mix. It seems like it's mostly keys/piano across the front, drums/bass across the rears. Seems like a real missed opportunity to not spread all the layered keyboard parts around the room.

View attachment 40604

Just came in today. Quite an improvement over the SQ vinyl, but I'm still not all that impressed with the mix. It seems like it's mostly keys/piano across the front, drums/bass across the rears. Seems like a real missed opportunity to not spread all the layered keyboard parts around the room.

that's the beauty of the SQ version, everything's all over the place! :LOL:

Back