What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was recently searching through those US NPR archives for stuff on the subject of quad and came across one of the “Men of HiFi” series, this one entitled “New Developments in 4-Channel” from 23rd May 1976. The description of the episode – “Harry Maynard interviews Stanley Kavan, VP and Larry Morton, Producer of CBS Records about the new quadraphonic LP issue of "My Fair Lady" in particular drew me in, as I was not aware of a quad recording of that musical.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/new-developments-in-4-channel/

I thought I should get a copy to see what they were making the fuss about, and it seems it’s pretty difficult to find in Europe (probably why I wasn’t aware of it before). But I located this still sealed copy in the US which has just arrived:

MFL1.JPG
MFL2.jpg

I hope it lives up to the hype!

A selection of other records also arrived this week. Under the conventional EMI banner :
HSV1.JPG

HSV2.JPG

Another EMI but also badged as ERATO (their occasional use of the ERATO branding seemed to be almost random - what was it supposed to signify – who knows?):

MKK1.JPG

MKK3.JPG

Supraphon didn’t really go for the plethora of sub-brands approach, so these two are straightforward to catalogue (!):

TB1.JPG

TB3.JPG

MV1.JPG

MV3.JPG

Hi. All
More matrix LP`s came the other day..
( Dacamera Magna. SQ SM91030 -Gluck: Reigen Seliger Geister Flotenkonzert. )-
View attachment 36753View attachment 36754

Hi Bill - When I saw your post with the Da Camera Magna LP the other day I thought “oh, I think I’ve got that one too” – after a lot of searching, sure enough, I found it at the bottom of a pile:

P1010686.JPG

But interestingly it looks as though it is a different (later?) release than yours. Whilst the sleeve looks identical, the record label does not carry the four circle quad symbol yours have. Further, your labels have the record number as SM91030A on Side 1 and SM91030B on Side 2 whereas mine just have SM91030 on both sides-
P1010688.JPG

I assume they are one and the same thing however, as I see that the matrix stamps on mine reflect the A & B suffixed record numbers on yours! –
P1010689.JPG

Why the difference? I've no idea, but I really ought to get around to playing it though, just to confirm it really is in SQ!

Hi Bill - When I saw your post with the Da Camera Magna LP the other day I thought “oh, I think I’ve got that one too” – after a lot of searching, sure enough, I found it at the bottom of a pile:

View attachment 36986
But interestingly it looks as though it is a different (later?) release than yours. Whilst the sleeve looks identical, the record label does not carry the four circle quad symbol yours have. Further, your labels have the record number as SM91030A on Side 1 and SM91030B on Side 2 whereas mine just have SM91030 on both sides-
View attachment 36987
I assume they are one and the same thing however, as I see that the matrix stamps on mine reflect the A & B suffixed record numbers on yours! –
View attachment 36988
Why the difference? I've no idea, but I really ought to get around to playing it though, just to confirm it really is in SQ!

Hi. Soundfield

Yes I have come across LP`s that have no indication of Quad on them but has it on the cover and there mainly Europe LP`s so I hope yours is SQ...

Les Penning & Robert Reed: In Dulci Jubilo E.P. Lovely variations paying homage to the original Mike Oldfield style but different enough to merit their own release. As you would expect from Rob, well recorded and mastered. (y)

I’ve occasionally seen some curious vintage ‘quad’ recordings on the Olympic Label (a division of Everest) and finally took the plunge in buying a handful (I’m not sure there were many more actually) just to find out what they were about.
This still sealed Count Basie one has material that was recorded in 1937:

CBB1.JPG

CBB3.JPG

This Ella Fitzgerald / Chick Webb one was apparently recorded in the Savoy Ballroom, NY, 1939:

ESCS1.JPG

ESCS3.JPG

And this Fletcher Henderson one is undated but must originate in the mid to late thirties:

FSH1.JPG

FSH2.JPG

They are all QS encoded but no explanation as to how this obviously mono source material was transformed into ‘quad’. There is only passing reference to the editing process:

CBB2.JPG

The parent label, Everest, also produced at least one similar disc (the rather crude artwork they share is particular poor here with a dreadful drawing of the two artists) which was probably sourced from mono recordings in the early sixties (my copy is another still sealed example):

MCGD1.JPG

There are no clues as to how the transformation to quad occurred in the hype:

MCGD2.JPG

The detailed text on the back cover is of no use whatsoever – it is an article taken apparently at random from the London Evening Standard that describes a comeback performance by Callas in Hamburg it has nothing to do at all with the La Scala material on the disc!

I‘m intrigued to discover what on earth these strange creations sound like (and to learn if anyone knows how they were made)!

There were actually a large number of these discs (supposedly encoded) on Everest , Olympic , Folkways , Archives of Jazz,
However I believe only TWO were from a stereo source.

According to The Quad Incorporated Guide (Larry Clifton ) , Sansui , asked Everest the Parent Company , to stop using their logo for obvious reasons.

Anyways they are nevertheless interesting and I own 2 which I believe are mono Pseudo stereo (quad?).
Little Richard/Jimi Hendrix and one other.

The two stereo titles believed to be quad are Classical titles , but I forget which 2 they are.

There were actually a large number of these discs (supposedly encoded) on Everest , Olympic , Folkways , Archives of Jazz,

According to The Quad Incorporated Guide (Larry Clifton ) , Sansui , asked Everest the Parent Company , to stop using their logo for obvious reasons.

Anyways they are nevertheless interesting and I own 2 which I believe are mono Pseudo stereo (quad?).

The two stereo titles believed to be quad are Classical titles , but I forget which 2 they are.

That's very interesting Fizzy, thanks - I thought the whole thing looked very dodgy!

we're very lucky to have you here fizzy, you're a living breathing Quad-encyclopedia! :QQlove

Got more matrix LP`s the otherday

( CBS. SQ SOCO46 -Haydn: Mass In Time Of War : Factory Sealed new )-
( Disneyland. QS 4K(D-H)35 -Music of the Disney cartons on the cover of LP )-
( Liberty QS LLZ-90009 -Non-Stop Bacharach )-

The Japanese do like exotic females on there LP`` covers
( Crown. RM=QS DW-5338Q - L`Anti Vierge )-

IMG_4143 (2).jpg
IMG_4139.jpg
IMG_4141 (2).jpg
IMG_4136 (2).jpg
IMG_4136 (3).jpg
IMG_4126 (2).jpg
IMG_4127.JPG
IMG_4128.JPG
IMG_4129.JPG

Got more matrix LP`s the otherday

( CBS. SQ SOCO46 -Haydn: Mass In Time Of War : Factory Sealed new )-
( Disneyland. QS 4K(D-H)35 -Music of the Disney cartons on the cover of LP )-
( Liberty QS LLZ-90009 -Non-Stop Bacharach )-

The Japanese do like exotic females on there LP`` covers
( Crown. RM=QS DW-5338Q - L`Anti Vierge )-

View attachment 37191View attachment 37192View attachment 37193View attachment 37194View attachment 37195View attachment 37196View attachment 37197View attachment 37198View attachment 37199

are those Disney originals mixed in Quad, Bill?

if so.... WOW!!!!

:eek:

Back