What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam, I found this "This is another previously unlisted quad release. By the time it was released CBS had all but given up on quad, so it was just put out as a normal stereo release." on https://dreamingspiresquadarchive.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/thjis-van-leer-introspection-3/

thanks Duncan :) seems kinda weird that I & II would have dual inventory release with a regular Stereo and a separate SQ LP release of each and yet the regular Stereo of III would be SQ encoded by default.. but there you go.. also, that blog has been wrong before about matrix encoded CDs (the Weather Report "Tale Spinnin'" supposedly from SQ CD was not the Quad).. anyway I'll pick up a copy of III and have a play with it thru the SM.

here's a CBS Dutch SQ LP curio for curious QQ-ers such as my fizzy friend to 'ave a gawp at,

The Band Of The Royal Dutch Airforce - Swinging Marches! (SQ LP)

unFYu3V.jpg

NuhpE4k.jpg

xA8Tzim.jpg

NIpSvrr.jpg

Thanks for the Dutch pix Fred. I see it is not listed in the discography. I wonder how many more Dutch discs aren't listed. You may want to see how many you have and post in Mark's update pages.

thanks Duncan :) seems kinda weird that I & II would have dual inventory release with a regular Stereo and a separate SQ LP release of each and yet the regular Stereo of III would be SQ encoded by defaul.

introspection II was not dual-inventory, it was one of the last batch of single inventory officially put out by columbia

introspection II was not dual-inventory, it was one of the last batch of single inventory officially put out by columbia

i was referring to the Netherlands, where the Introspection 3 Stereo LP was said to have been an unmarked single inventory Quad, yet in the same territory Introspection 2 saw Dutch dual inventory with separate Stereo (CBS 65915) and SQ Quad (Q 65915) LP releases.

a follow on question maybe if the Stereo Dutch and SQ Dutch are in fact the same mix,
is there ultimately only one mix of Introspection 2?

i.e. are the various Stereo LPs of Introspection 2 from Australia, Canada, South Africa, Spain, UK, etc., the same as the Dutch Stereo and/or Dutch SQ LP?

hmm...!

Thanks for the Dutch pix Fred. I see it is not listed in the discography. I wonder how many more Dutch discs aren't listed. You may want to see how many you have and post in Mark's update pages.

you're welcome :eek:
oh that's a surprise its not in the discography, its listed on Discogs as the Quad, which is where i got my copy.. i'll have a rummage and see if i can come up with anything else, doubtful but you never know! :D

i was referring to the Netherlands, where the Introspection 3 Stereo LP was said to have been an unmarked single inventory Quad, yet in the same territory Introspection 2 saw Dutch dual inventory with separate Stereo (CBS 65915) and SQ Quad (Q 65915) LP releases.

the dutch, like most of europe, did not do dual inventory. columbia officially list it along with others as single inventory which would suggest that there is no stereo mix

if you listen to introspection 2 and 3 they sound as though they were from the same recording sessions

the dutch, like most of europe, did not do dual inventory. columbia officially list it along with others as single inventory which would suggest that there is no stereo mix

if you listen to introspection 2 and 3 they sound as though they were from the same recording sessions

unlike the rest of the World, there were two Dutch CBS LP releases of Introspection 2, one labelled as SQ with SQ Quadraphonic logo at the the top of the front of the sleeve (cat no Q 65915) and the other Stereo (CBS 65915) without SQ Quadraphonic logo on the front of the sleeve, i don't own both releases so don't know if the disc inside each is the same, maybe they are.

Dutch CBS LP (CBS 65915)

Dutch CBS SQ Quadraphonic LP (Q 65915)

surely what matters is what is on the record and not what the cover says. perhaps this needs to be looked into by someone technical

have just thought, what are the dates on both, perhaps one was a reissue?

surely what matters is what is on the record and not what the cover says. perhaps this needs to be looked into by someone technical

have just thought, what are the dates on both, perhaps one was a reissue?

indeed, the disc inside both the SQ sleeve and the Stereo sleeve could well be the same.

that said - and i realise its a different album and artist altogether - but fwiw another Dutch LP with a dual inventory SQ Quad counterpart, is that "Swinging Marches!" disc I posted a pic of here the other day.
now, interestingly, I have both the CBS Dutch SQ version and the CBS Dutch Stereo version and having briefly compared the two, the disc in the SQ Quad marked sleeve sounds different to the Stereo LP of the same album. when i get a chance i will compare the two versions and have a look at the individual decoded channels of each disc and check out some waveforms, etc.

good idea! i'll get someone technical to look into it.
failing that, i'll have a non-technical look when I pick up a copy of the Introspection 2 CBS 65915 disc and see how I get on comparing it to the Q 65915 LP.

indeed, the disc inside both the SQ sleeve and the Stereo sleeve could well be the same.

that said - and i realise its a different album and artist altogether - but fwiw another Dutch LP with a dual inventory SQ Quad counterpart, is that "Swinging Marches!" disc I posted a pic of here the other day.
now, interestingly, I have both the CBS Dutch SQ version and the CBS Dutch Stereo version and having briefly compared the two, the disc in the SQ Quad marked sleeve sounds different to the Stereo LP of the same album. when i get a chance i will compare the two versions and have a look at the individual decoded channels of each disc and check out some waveforms, etc.

good idea! i'll get someone technical to look into it.
failing that, i'll have a non-technical look when I pick up a copy of the Introspection 2 CBS 65915 disc and see how I get on comparing it to the Q 65915 LP.

I notice that Dutch marching disc's label ain't BLUE on gold ? Put's a bit of a boomarang in that Dutch colour thing theory , but only a little bit I think.
Thanks for posting it , good chum--lot's of discs I never got to see living in Canada r .

And kinda cool they did up two versions of Van Leer introspection 2 for their market (or maybe deported some ?)

This is my copy--American S.I.--- SQ from 77. Looks like it was made in 75/76 but released in 77. :confused:

20180215_154021.jpg20180215_153950.jpg

Notice that 100 yrs emblem , celebration ?20180215_153956.jpg

more on this....

Although I can't show you due to my camera's limitations.....the vinyl imprint # is MQ 34510 and not what the label states M 34510.

And yes all copies regardless of Country s/b quad (single inventory )---all fr the same masters afterall.

20180215_154057.jpg20180215_154553.jpg

And for a lark I'll toss up my only Canadian single inventory SQ Columbia (CBS) .

Annie----also a 77 release (34xxx series)

20180215_180249.jpg20180215_180245.jpg

Should have picked up the 2nd pressing I saw some yrs later , as it had the big SQ rectangle logo removed.....but strangely still had the little SQ indicated in the very bottom edge notes..... like with the CBS trademark notations....weird that ? :rolleyes:

Yes, fredderico that is where I got my info on the third disc from......and thanks to Duncan for pointing it out .:upthumb

And yes that site has made a small number of mistakes in the past. I know of two that are not encoded--(-different matrix than SQ though and not on CBS .)

That site does have a couple (plus ) rare and vetted discoveries though...

I wonder just how many more undiscovered quad discs we will uncover ...and by that I mean not in the quad listings .

Japan is a virtual goldmine for quad collectors I think....just look at all of BBQ'S recent finds ....and yes you too ,
amigo:D(y)

I stand (gratefully) corrected! (I think what happened was that when I was researching those three titles, I couldn't find a Q8 of Dybbuk or Candide for sale--which info my failing brain then transmogrified into "never released"...)

So discrete mixes of all three are ready and waiting for Michael Dutton's steady hand, then! In the meantime, I'd love to hear a good transfer of the Q8s.

Seems a copy has made its way into the wild...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernstein-...715490?hash=item41db652e22:g:9UgAAOSw57xaimm8

Back