What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d not seen these twin disc Electrola Autumn (“herbst”) special offer sampler sets before, so couldn’t resist adding them to the library when I got the chance last week….
AUTUMN 1975
SH75a.JPG

SH75b.JPG

AUTUMN 1976
SH76a.JPG

SH76b.JPG

I’m not sure if they were produced in SQ for any other years (or indeed for any other seasons!), but I think it is telling that in the 75 set, three of the four sides are of quad recordings whereas in the 76 set only two of the four sides are of quad material – sadly Indicative of a fairly quick decline in the fortunes of the medium.

Hi. All
A matrix LP came today.

( EMI. SQ EAY-8001 0241Q -Herbert Von Karajan Bruckner Symphony No.4 "Romantic )-

Wow Bill, that takes me back, whilst I've never seen that Japanese pressing before, Karajan's Bruckner 4 was the first SQ LP I ever bought back in the early seventies (despite being very expensive I seem to remember and long before I'd any means of decoding such things, as a Bruckner fan I had to have it!) It was amongst the first of the Quad Electrola releases (and was a very early quad recording by Karajan dating back to 1971). As a treasured possession, mine is still in pretty good condition despite the passage of time (!)…..

KB4.jpg

KB4b.jpg

I’ve just bought this rather nice box set charting 100 years of the Berlin Phil. Spanning such a long period it has material in mono, stereo and quad. But guess what they chose to represent what was then the present day Bill? – yup, that Karajan Bruckner 4 recording!!

BP100a.JPG

Interestingly the booklet gives more specific date information on that Bruckner than I'd seen before, namely 25/9/70 and 16/10/70. This is slightly earlier than I’d previously thought given the (P) 1971 date; curious that the recording was actually split over two dates a couple of weeks apart. Evidence of Karajan’s crazy schedule perhaps?

BP100c.JPG

This set was released in 1982 and must have been one of the last from EMI with SQ content (and as such there’s no actual mention of quad on the box or in the booklet, although the Bruckner disc (sides 9 & 10 of the set) have the old Electrola "Quadro" label and carry the SQ logo.

Last edited:
I'm curious about this one. How can you tell it's Quad?

Oh, wait, I've just seen how. On the OBI it says 2 and 4 channels. If you don't have the OBI, you're sorta screwed.

Yes you are screwed, But a lot of Toshibas Pro-Use Series LP`s where matrix..

I don’t think there were all that many SQ Test Discs produced (as opposed to ‘demonstration’ discs which most of the labels and indeed equipment manufactures seemed to produce). I’ve a couple, but until recently wasn’t aware that Supraphon released one, their 1976 “Úvodní Deska Kvadrofonní Techniky”. It seems to be quite rare and the dealer in Slovenia I bought this one from last week said it was the only one he’d seen in 40 years in the trade:

ST1.JPG

But at least we all now know where our friend from Prague, Haikubass , got his avatar from!
ST2.JPG

I only paid a few quid for mine, but the rarity seems to be reflected in the fact that the only one I can find on Discogs at the moment has an asking price of €130! Frankly, the cover on mine is a bit battered but the instructions are in good condition (which would be great if I could read Czech!):

ST3.JPG

ST4.JPG

Google translate however tells me that the test tracks are-

Test Connected Speakers
Check Speaker Pairs
Check Polarity
Adaptation Front and Rear Pairs

Which all seems straightforward, although I’m a little baffled by the “adaptation” bit which might have lost something in the translation - I'll have to see what it actually does!

ST5.JPG

An interesting addition to the Supraphon collection.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks Bill - I'm always on the lookout for interesting or unusual SQ stuff! But sometimes I get the impression here that only you and I are the only ones still adding to our quad LP collections!

ooh noo..!! :ROFLMAO:
although personally i've not bought much vintage Quad stuff this year for personal reasons i don't want to go into on the public forum there are certainly a good few other QQ members who are still snapping up the records and tapes like gangbusters! maybe they just don't post as frequently as some of us! ;)

meantime, please keep doing what you're doing guys, the pics are amazing and your contributions are much appreciated (y)

Actually Fred I've been buying more of late, largely from Europe whilst it is still easy to do so. I get stuff from Germany in two or three days door-to-door and there's no import duty. That could all end following Brexit if we leave the Customs Union, and getting stuff from Europe would then be as painful and expensive as it is from the USA for us Brits (weeks of import delays, taxes and trips to the sorting office to pay the charges!)

… but whatever happens, I hope you'll be in a position to buy more stuff soon.

Actually Fred I've been buying more of late, largely from Europe whilst it is still easy to do so. I get stuff from Germany in two or three days door-to-door and there's no import duty. That could all end following Brexit if we leave the Customs Union, and getting stuff from Europe would then be as painful and expensive as it is from the USA for us Brits (weeks of import delays, taxes and trips to the sorting office to pay the charges!)

… but whatever happens, I hope you'll be in a position to buy more stuff soon.

oh yes! i've noticed your buying has ramped up! ..and its wonderful to see!! :love: oh gAwd.. please don't get me started on Brexit! :censored: who knows where we'll be at next year, i'd say snap up as much as you can, while you can!! :LB

ahhh.. the desire is there to add to the old Quad record and tape collection (oh, is it ever!) but having gone thru a few years of on/off personal hell and going from a flat to a room i just don't have the mental or physical space for anymore old legacy format things at this point, sadly.. the overall collection(s) of stuff are shoehorned in as it is! i'll always try and "make space" for a gem and I'll keep going with new key releases until I can't get thru the door but old Quad LP & tape saturation point has been 'achieved', at least until i move to larger quarters again.. phew! :LOL: anyhoo enough rambling, over to you and Bill, lets see them treasures! (y)

oh yes! i've noticed your buying has ramped up! ..and its wonderful to see!! :love: oh gAwd.. please don't get me started on Brexit! :censored: who knows where we'll be at next year, i'd say snap up as much as you can, while you can!! :LB
Exactly! That's the plan Fred!

over to you and Bill, lets see them treasures!

We'll see what we can do, I've got a few more in the pipeline!

Hi. fredy & Soundfield

I do it to inspire others, to what's out there, if I can get just one person to jump in and start collecting I`m happy.... :)….all you have to do is get on your bike and travel the net this new Surround Master v2 needs this software to work.
There is 2 things that I now is a big burden and I have to say the dirty word ..$$$money$$$... and room to store things...but I love when I come across LP for the first time and listen to it, it give me pleasure & goose bumps.... as I have said a view time before if you have the hard ware you need the soft ware to work... and its out there......some ware.

Back