What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barkley James Harvest / Barkley James Harvest (Boxset)
Robert Reed / Sanctuary III
Steely Dan / Two Against Nature
Guess Who / Road Food/#10
Rick Derringer / All American Boy/Spring Fever
Gavin Harrison & 05ric / Circles
Mike Keneally & Beer For Dolphins / Sluggo
Megadeth / Peace Sells But Who's Buying?
Mansun / Attack Of The Grey Lantern

Le Premier Cri OST - Armand Amar (Hybrid MultiCh SACD)
Cg5yxSm.jpeg

d0DMNZi.jpeg

nbglkfb.jpeg

fnVSf6U.jpeg

0CpKuOx.jpeg

I caught the Lute and ubertrout fever this week by splurging on several Classical and Jazz multichannel SACDs

Among them:

Roby Lakatos and Biréli LaGréne: Tribute to Stéphane and Django [Avanti Jazz label]
Bjorn Morten Christophersen: Woven Brass [2L BD~A/SACD Dolby Atmos/Auro 3D]
Vladimir Ashkenazy/Oxford Philharmonic Orchestra: Nimrod Borenstein [Chandos]
Thierry Fischer/Utah Symphony: Mahler Symphony #8 [2 SACDs/Reference Recordings]
Isabelle Van Keulen Ensemble: Astor Piazzolla Angeles y Diablos [Challenge Records] Absolutely STUNNING!
Pro Pacem:
Alia Vox 78 minute sampler w/1000 pg. hardcover book] [Alia Vox]

Last edited:
quite a nice 5.1 soundtrack that one Adam

you told me about it years ago! i totally forgot about it and in the meantime (sadly) prices have shot up and availability has gone doooowwwnnn! anyhoo, better late than never eh! thanks for the heads up (from all that time back when!)

Recently I discovered an Elliot Scheiner mix that I was unaware of....it wasn't really a "discovery" on my part....but a forum member mentioned this box set....this came out before I joined the forum...and it has been one of my favorite songs of all time..the song is Layla...and I've had several versions containing this song...and they have all missed the mark...I was thinking about getting the MoFi Gold Cd...but never did...and then this box set came into my view...and after some intense searching and even more intense negotiation...I was able to get a used set....I know this will have limitations...because much has been written about the quality of the original tapes...not the best...for sure...but when I hear of an Elliot Scheiner mix out there with one of my favorite songs on it...I have to hear it...I will be playing it tomorrow...Duane Allman...Eric Clapton and Elliot Scheiner on the controls...whew...I can't wait to hear Little Wing!

IMG_3117.JPG

IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

Recently I discovered an Elliot Scheiner mix that I was unaware of....it wasn't really a "discovery" on my part....but a forum member mentioned this box set....this came out before I joined the forum...and it has been one of my favorite songs of all time..the song is Layla...and I've had several versions containing this song...and they have all missed the mark...I was thinking about getting the MoFi Gold Cd...but never did...and then this box set came into my view...and after some intense searching and even more intense negotiation...I was able to get a used set....I know this will have limitations...because much has been written about the quality of the original tapes...not the best...for sure...but when I hear of an Elliot Scheiner mix out there with one of my favorite songs on it...I have to hear it...I will be playing it tomorrow...Duane Allman...Eric Clapton and Elliot Scheiner on the controls...whew...I can't wait to hear Little Wing!

View attachment 33277

View attachment 33276

View attachment 33275

nice score! this one's not cheap these days! its a solid Scheiner mix imho (not his best, far from his worst.. there are things I like about this 5.1 mix over Mick Guzauski's 5.1 that ended up on the old Hybrid Surround SACD and other bits I prefer on that ol' SACD vs the Scheiner job on the DVD-V in this set you recently acquired, Clint.. again all just imesho!).. though it may not be BD-A/DVD-A/SACD (Pah! Spit!) it has 3 magic little letters.. D.. T.. S.. so no fackin' DD as the best 5.1 option for Dullbee Dissenters! hoorah! 🎉

(tongue back outta cheek) i look forward to your thoughts, comments, reaction, stirrings, feedback and juices flowing with prose on it all, when you get the chance to try the DVD! 👍

nice score! this one's not cheap these days! its a solid Scheiner mix imho (not his best, far from his worst.. there are things I like about this 5.1 mix over Mick Guzauski's 5.1 that ended up on the old Hybrid Surround SACD and other bits I prefer on that ol' SACD vs the Scheiner job on the DVD-V in this set you recently acquired, Clint.. again all just imesho!).. though it may not be BD-A/DVD-A/SACD (Pah! Spit!) it has 3 magic little letters.. D.. T.. S.. so no fackin' DD as the best 5.1 option for Dullbee Dissenters! hoorah! 🎉

(tongue back outta cheek) i look forward to your thoughts, comments, reaction, stirrings, feedback and juices flowing with prose on it all, when you get the chance to try the DVD! 👍

REALLY wonder what Steve Wilson would do for Layla? I only have the hybrid SACD and have always been 'somewhat' satisfied with it. I WAS turned off by the DTS option on the boxset [and the inclusion of VINYL] as I always feel Elliot Scheiner's remixes should ALWAYS be hi res!

An unlikely gift from UMG would be to someday release a stand alone BD~A [or equivalent] of LAYLA* honoring Elliot Scheiner's remix IN ALL ITS GLORY!:SG

Until then, hoping Clint enjoys his newest acquisition.:)

*IMO, it was EXCLUSIONS like Layla in 5.1 which doomed Universal's PURE BLU~RAY AUDIO Launch!

REALLY wonder what Steve Wilson would do for Layla? I only have the hybrid SACD and have always been 'somewhat' satisfied with it. I WAS turned off by the DTS option on the boxset [and the inclusion of VINYL] as I always feel Elliot Scheiner's remixes should ALWAYS be hi res!

An unlikely gift from UMG would be to someday release a stand alone BD~A [or equivalent] of LAYLA honoring Elliot Scheiner's remix IN ALL ITS GLORY!:SG

Until then, hoping Clint enjoys his newest acquisition.:)

oh Ralpheeo, that man Wilson costs me a bleedin' fortune as it is! the last thing I need is a 3rd unique surround rendering of Layla (but who da fook am i kidding, if SW were to do Layla in 5.1 I'd have to get it!).. re: this whole hi-res subject/fetish, have you ever got kinky with a fellow audiophile and been blindfolded (bear with me) to A-B the same 5.1 mix in lossless and then in lossy? i'm up for it if you are, it could be a fun eye/ear opener, maybe even a leg trembler! my mind is open, how about yours? 😉

The HFPA Pure CRAP Audio standalone disc was a trainwreck...it sounded like a bad MP3 and no wonder...look at this...and the SACD was OK as far as not being compressed....but the mix seemed dead to me...clinical...another example of the "favored metrics" underperforming...unless this one is mastered poorly..I'll be happy...I know it has limits due to the source...but ES has never let me down..I'm not expecting some sonic miracle...this is one of those recording where you look for the best possible version...knowing from the outset it's not gonna be perfect no matter what they do on the technical side....but as in all things music related for me...CONTENT is king...always will be...I'd rather listen to a static filled AM station with my favorite song on it then a Steven Wilson masterpiece with content I don't like....you know how I feel about those things ..BD-A/DVD-A/SACD...CIA...FBI..INTERPOL..all the acronyms are meaningless if they are not utilized properly...

Adam...I'll let you know:)

oh Ralpheeo, that man Wilson costs me a bleedin' fortune as it is! the last thing I need is a 3rd unique surround rendering of Layla (but who da fook am i kidding, if SW were to do Layla in 5.1 I'd have to get it!).. re: this whole hi-res subject/fetish, have you ever got kinky with a fellow audiophile and been blindfolded (bear with me) to A-B the same 5.1 mix in lossless and then in lossy? i'm up for it if you are, it could be a fun eye/ear opener, maybe even a leg trembler! my mind is open, how about yours? 😉

The important element, Adam, is NOT what your 'untrained' friend's think [in a so called blind experiment] but what YOU and I think. In the last few months I've actually heard some VERY credible Dolby Digital 5.1 remixes to stunning effect but still secretly pine for them in FULL kilobuck HI RES.

As a VIDEO freak......I welcomed the transition from DVD to BD~V and now from BD~V to NATIVE 4K....the REAL DEAL! Yeah, the majors are still trying to fool us with UPSCALED 4K videos but I'm ON TO THEM.

Whenever possible, ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES. LOCK 'n LOAD:love:

Back