What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5aa418b49519cd335150838f0d2b7785.jpg
1b3be722aea94e4c209e1ea5d9d21f8e.jpg
b9a376c98ccd60599e7b2c0748725629.jpg
dd58f8f4e3c747d9526cf432edccb415.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whatahamwhatahamwhataham!!!!

Two serendipitous discoveries at the Everyday Music classical & jazz branch on Burnside in Portland, Oregon:

View attachment 33684

In the bins, mixed in with the ordinary CDs. Fairly obscure discs, I think. Haven't had a chance to listen to either of them yet, as I'm still on the road. But I'm down for anything by John Adams, and I know Pintchik, who keeps good company, to be a wry and witty pianist. (Her latest release is entitled You Eat My Food, You Drink My Wine, You Steal My Girl!) Didn't realize she'd ever done anything in 5.0.

Follow-up report: Pintchik's Quartets is what I would describe as a mixture of ambient and discrete: piano, horn, and drums are centered across LF & RF (though cymbals are split across those two channels), while bass is in the center. Studio ambience in the rears. Very intimate. (By the way: it's worth checking out the record label's site. The label head, Mark Conese, is an audiophile with a philosophy of recording that would appeal to a number of people here. Not clear to me how many other surround releases he's produced, although Pintchik's first album on Ambient, So Glad to Be Here, is also a hybrid Stereo/MCh SACD, and Conese seems to record everything in DSD, so....)

The Jarvi Adams/Sumera is "big ambient": close-mic'd and full-sounding, but sections of the orchestra are emphasized differently enough in the rears that the action there often sounds discrete.

Last edited:
Follow-up report: Pintchik's Quartets is what I would describe as a mixture of ambient and discrete: piano, horn, and drums are centered across LF & RF (though cymbals are split across those two channels), while bass is in the center. Studio ambience in the rears. Very intimate. (By the way: it's worth checking out the record label's site. The label head, Mark Conese, is an audiophile with a philosophy of recording that would appeal to a number of people here. Not clear to me how many other surround releases he's produced, although Pintchik's first album on Ambient, So Glad to Be Here, is also a hybrid Stereo/MCh SACD, and Conese seems to record everything in DSD, so....)

The Jarvi Adams/Sumera is "big ambient": close-mic'd and full-sounding, but sections of the orchestra are emphasized differently enough in the rears that the action there often sounds discrete.

I have the fabulous Leslie Pintchik hybrid multichannel SACD So Glad To Be Here and highly recommend it. Thanks for the heads~up on Pintchik's Quartets: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2745

Also highly recommended are Ambient Record's three Gene Bertoncini [Guitarist] titles although NOT all are SACDs: https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=gene+bertoncini

Concerti and Quiet Now are hybrid SACDs. Bertoncini's Body and Soul is a DSD mastered RBCD.

Postscript: Thankfully, Amazon reminded me that I purchased Leslie Pintchik's QUARTETS in 2008. Am spinning it currently. Lovely!

I was buying up so many SACDs back in the day I lost count of what I have.

I also checked out the Adams/Sumera mch SACD you mentioned ........ IMO, a MUST buy. I'm also a John Adams fanboy!

I wish we had record stores with 'bargain bins' in my area. You scored some great deals, humprof!

Last edited:
I have the fabulous Leslie Pintchik hybrid multichannel SACD So Glad To Be Here and highly recommend it. Thanks for the heads~up on Pintchik's Quartets: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2745

Also highly recommended are Ambient Record's three Gene Bertoncini [Guitarist] titles although NOT all are SACDs: https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=gene+bertoncini

Concerti and Quiet Now are hybrid SACDs. Bertoncini's Body and Soul is a DSD mastered RBCD.

Postscript: Thankfully, Amazon reminded me that I purchased Leslie Pintchik's QUARTETS in 2008. Am spinning it currently. Lovely!

I was buying up so many SACDs back in the day I lost count of what I have.

I also checked out the Adams/Sumera mch SACD you mentioned ........ IMO, a MUST buy. I'm also a John Adams fanboy!

I wish we had record stores with 'bargain bins' in my area. You scored some great deals, humprof!

I got lucky on a visit to Portland. (A couple of good indie record stores left in my small town, but not a great selection, and I don't think I've ever seen a multichannel disc of any kind in either of them.)

The Adams/Sumera disc is really good. Appreciate the tips about other multichannel Ambient Records titles. I emailed the label to ask for additional clarification but haven't gotten a reply. The web seems to verify that the two "Helmet of Gnats"--a prog/jazz band I wasn't aware of--titles were also mixed for 5.0.

What was waiting for me when I got back from vacation:
IMG_20180716_120511406.jpg

(Nabbed them just before the Pentatone sale at Presto Classical ran out.)

Ubertrout and others have sung frequent praises of Ozawa's Berlioz Symphony Fantastique (now deleted); Tippet Rise OPUS 2017 is the latest entry in the Pentatone Oxingale series; and I'm a sucker for jazz and/or classical settings of Emily Dickinson poems. (These ones are by Copland, Jake Heggie, Gordon Getty, and Michael Tilson Thomas.) Looking forward to hearing all three of them.

Last edited:
What was waiting for me when I got back from vacation:
View attachment 33736
(Nabbed them just before the Pentatone sale at Presto Classical ran out.)

Ubertrout and others have sung frequent praises of Ozawa's Berlioz Symphony Fantastique (now deleted); Tippet Rise OPUS 2017 is the latest entry in the Pentatone Oxingale series; and I'm a sucker for jazz and/or classical settings of Emily Dickinson poems. (These ones are by Copland, Jake Heggie, Gordon Getty, and Michael Tilson Thomas.) Looking forward to hearing all three of them.
The Berlioz is excellent and has a nice surround field... congrats! (I havnt heard the others)

Two more from Ambient Records: pianist Leslie Pintchik's So Glad to Be Here, and prog-jazz band Helmet of Gnats' Time Slip. (I also picked up another of theirs, High Street, which was recorded hi-res [192/32] but not multi-channel.)

IMG_20180729_105746242.jpg

Pity about the cracked cover, but waddya gonna do? Before placing the order, I called the label to clarify which of their titles were actually Hybrid MCh SACD--and got to talk to label head/audio engineer Mark Conese.

Last edited:
Two more from Ambient Records: pianist Leslie Pintchik's So Glad to Be Here, and prog-jazz band Helmet of Gnats' Time Slip. (I also picked up another of theirs, High Street, which was recorded hi-res [192/32] but not multi-channel.)

View attachment 33919

Pity about the cracked cover, but waddya gonna do? Before placing the order, I called the label to clarify which of their titles were actually Hybrid MCh SACD--and got to talk to label head/audio engineer Mark Conese.
I'd got the Helmet Of Gnats, and had been wondering about the Leslie Pintchik so your post reminded me, so bought it (y)

Olivier Messiaen : Turangalîla-Symphonie : Previn, LSO et al (DVD-Audio)

Interesting.. the packaging indicates the recordings date from 1978 but the wording implies a modern 4-channel remix rather than an old Quad, is that the case or are these resurrected Quad mixes?
(TIA!)

vzOylTB.jpeg

Edit: Answered my own question,
looks like its a Quad mix, made available on SQ LP in Germany in 1978;

https://www.discogs.com/Messiaen-André-Previn-Turangalîla-Symphony/release/5476974

Last edited:
Olivier Messiaen : Turangalîla-Symphonie : Previn, LSO et al (DVD-Audio)

Interesting.. the packaging indicates the recordings date from 1978 but the wording implies a modern 4-channel remix rather than an old Quad, is that the case or are these resurrected Quad mixes?
(TIA!)

vzOylTB.jpeg

Edit: Answered my own question,
looks like its a Quad mix, made available on SQ LP in Germany in 1978;

https://www.discogs.com/Messiaen-André-Previn-Turangalîla-Symphony/release/5476974

Interesting indeed. Look forward to your listening notes!

ordered from DV LAST WEEK and I got it TODAY in the US....
Airto - Fingers (listening to now.. great stuff)
Shostakovich-Jacoby/Mackerras
Art Garfunkel-Breakaway (yes, I CAVED in!!)
Ray Conniff-The Godfather
Boston Pops=great hits of the 70s
Gustav Mahler/Levine
Johnnie Taylor...

Just in time to send my Marantz to SERVICE/REPAIR...

Back