What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Messiaen - Turangalîla-Symphonie; Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Takashi Harada; Riccardo Chailly; Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (Hybrid Multichannel SACD)

TK5tX0t.jpeg

XBMMS8o.jpeg

wKsDTuB.jpeg
Just curious if you agree with my earlier assessment of this disc.

I just received 5 QUAD SACDs from the WIZARD of WATFORD. Ripping open George Benson's BODY TALK as we speak.

Also, Hendrix: Axis Bold as Love Stereo SACD from MusicDirect.

edit: 2 'cracked cases' from D~V and surprisingly, the Hendrix SACD case from MusicDirect, VERY carefully packed, is cracked on BOTH sides. Thank goodness I have replacement cases.

Last edited:
I just received 5 QUAD SACDs from the WIZARD of WATFORD. Ripping open George Benson's BODY TALK as we speak.

edit: 2 'cracked cases' from D~V and surprisingly, the Hendrix SACD case from MusicDirect, VERY carefully packed, is cracked on BOTH sides. Thank goodness I have replacement cases.
Dang Ralph! All my Dutton discs...and Hendrix came in perfect order.

My Music Direct disc was carefully wrapped in bubble wrap...and it was a free delivery that only cost a little over $25...not just the cheapest price but well done of the packaging..

Dang Ralph! All my Dutton discs...and Hendrix came in perfect order.

Funny thing about the Hendrix disc....I placed an order recently with Music Direct for a Shunyata Research Power Conditioner which was already ON SALE. They not only knocked off an extra 100 bucks, gave me FREE shipping and NO sales tax, but they also sent me FREE of CHARGE 10 brand new SACD replacement cases.

Yeah, I should've ordered that 6th Dave Valentin Flute SACD from DV....maybe there'd be NO cracked cases. The last batch from D~V also had 2 cracked cases, as well.

Struttin' Our Stuff : America (Hybr MC SACD)

oKma8IV.jpeg

SwEuAdy.jpeg

jiGNRkl.jpeg
Ironically, Adam, this disc got somewhat pummeled over at the old SA~CD.net but I rather like it. Not much in the way of surround but the album itself is quite likable.

Don't have that Bill Wyman disc, though. When you've given it a proper spin could you comment on the disc?

Thanks in advance.

Ironically, Adam, this disc got somewhat pummeled over at the old SA~CD.net but I rather like it. Not much in the way of surround but the album itself is quite likable.

Don't have that Bill Wyman disc, though. When you've given it a proper spin could you comment on the disc?

Thanks in advance.

oh i'm not expecting much surround excitement out of either of them tbh, Ralph! ..just i'd noticed prices were creeping up on these two so thought i better snap em up before they're unobtanium! i will indeed report back with findings in due course (though i don't so much have a pile of stuff to get thru at the mo as a mountain so feedback may not be instantaneous!!) :ROFLMAO:

oh i'm not expecting much surround excitement out of either of them tbh, Ralph! ..just i'd noticed prices were creeping up on these two so thought i better snap em up before they're unobtanium! i will indeed report back with findings in due course (though i don't so much have a pile of stuff to get thru at the mo as a mountain so feedback may not be instantaneous!!) :ROFLMAO:

That's why you NEED 4 ears, Adam. Doubles the listening! Sort of like speed dialing! I have about 150 4K and BD~V sealed discs I've yet to watch. If not MORE!

I agree with the 4-earwed wonder about the America - Struttin' SACD. I wasn't expecting much in mix or performance. Although I nailed it in terms of the mix, the performance is surprisingly good.

I've played this one several times in the 10 years-ish that I've owned it. With over 20,000 albums, that's medium rotation.

Last edited:
I agree with the 4-earwed wonder about the America - Struttin' SACD. I wasn't expecting much in mix or performance. Although I nailed it in terms of the mix, he performance is surprisingly good.

I've played this one several times in the 10 years-ish that I've owned it. With over 20,000 albums, that's medium rotation.

I stayed away from that title because of THESE type of opinions...the song list is impressive

More Vocalion surround SACD's!

Titles I own on SQ LP and/or Q8, as well as RBCD's:
Chase & Pure Music
Tale Spinnin' - Weather Report
Body Talk - George Benson
Live in Europe - Billy Paul
360 Degrees of Billy Paul & War of the Gods

Quad mixes I've not heard before or owned:
Hermann: Citizen Kane - Gerhard/National Philharmonic
Beethoven: Concertos 1 & 2 - Rubenstein/Barenboim/London
Eargasm & Rated Extrordinaire - Johnnie Taylor
Sondheim: A Little Night Music

A couple stories:
One of the trumpeters on the 1st Chase is Ted Piercefield, an old client of mine.

Jim Peterik (from Chase) and the Ides of March are from my old neighborhood. They used to play Cermak Plaza's parking lot, both before and after they released a single on Parrot. They were in high school back then at Morton West, directly behind the plaza. This was a few years before they broke through with Vehicle. Cermak Plaza sported the car-kabob featured in Wayne's World. RIP car-kabob.

I met Peterik at a party. He talked about fortunately not being on the plane where Bill Chiaiese (aka Chase) and several band members perished. (RIP)

Peterik still lives in Riverside, IL.

I saw/heard Night Music at the Goodman Theater in Chicago, when it was attached to the Art Institute. Although I have a RBCD of this, I was searching the used store for an SQ LP.

I'd also seen/heard George Benson and Weather Report (Jaco Pastorius version) live. Both great shows. Highlights were Benson singing BOTH as Nat AND Natalie Cole on Unforgettable!

At the WR show, Papa Joe introduced a solo Jaco number. Jaco climbed up the amp, sat there and played Purple Haze solo on his bass! The crowds went nuts over both numbers.

We were Chicago Symphony Season Subscribers under both Barenboim and Solti. Our seats were in the first row.

Last edited:
More Vocalion surround SACD's!

Titles I own on SQ LP and/or Q8, as well as RBCD's:
Chase & Pure Music
Tale Spinnin' - Weather Report
Body Talk - George Benson
Live in Europe - Billy Paul
360 Degrees of Billy Paul & War of the Gods

Quad mixes I've not heard before or owned:
Hermann: Citizen Kane - Gerhard/National Philharmonic
Beethoven: Concertos1 & 2 - Rubenstein/Barenboim/London
Eargasm & Rated Extrordinaire - Johnnie Taylor
Sondheim: A Little Night Music

A couple stories:
One of the trumpeters on the 1st Chase is Ted Piercefield, an old client of mine.

Jim Peterik (from Chase) and the Ides of March are from my old neighborhood. They used to play Cermak Plaza's parking lot, both before and after they released a single on Parrot. They were in high school back then at Morton West, directly behind the plaza. This was a few years before they broke through with Vehicle. Cermak Plaza sported the car-kabob featured in Wayne's World. RIP car-kabob.

I met Peterik at a party. He talked about fortunately not being on the plane where Bill Chiaiese (aka Chase) and several band members perished. (RIP)

I saw/heard Night Music at the Goodman Theater in Chicago, when it was attached to the Art Institute. Although I have a RBCD of this, I was searching the used store for an SQ LP.
Wow, I had no idea of Peterik's background.....and.....I read he was a founding member of Survivor and wrote/co-wrote all their big hits....dang. Good stuff...

I stayed away from that title because of THESE type of opinions...the song list is impressive

A classic case of 'to each his own,' Clint. If you can still find it for a decent price and you like 'acoustic' America then by all means take the plunge....but NOT at the current $99 asking price on AmazonUS....+ s/h.

Sometimes, I really wonder what type of audio systems some of these 'reviewers' play their discs on or question their 'hearing acuity?'

La Bohème - Charles Aznavour (Hybr MC SACD)

after a number of years slowly acquiring them, this is the last Aznavour SACD I 'needed' to complete the collection.. shame it comes at such a sad time in the wake of his death, although he was doing what he loved, performing, to the very end. RIP to a Legend.

oYwKm26.jpeg

Znl4RCK.jpeg

S1yQrq6.jpeg

So, Adam, How's your FRENCH?

Back