What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha. Well, it does indeed, as @sjcorne surmised, come from the Wizard of Watford. (And if only it were a secret preview of coming attractions, @4-earredwonder....)

Actually, one entire package is filled with stereo CDs from their recent sale--a bunch of old Joe Harriott and Michael Garrick remaster/reissues. But the other contains stuff most of you sensibly got weeks (or months) ago:
  • Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklos Rozsa
  • Herbie Hancock, Sextant
  • Donald Byrd, Black Byrd
  • MFSB, Philadelphia Freedom and Summertime
  • The Guess Who, Rockin' and Best Vol. II
  • Paul Revere & The Raiders, Hard 'n' Heavy and Indian Reservation
  • The Guess Who, American Woman and Share the Land
And, I'm pleased to report, not a single casualty in the bunch.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get busy listening to as much as I can before Pacific Gas & Electric makes good on their threat to shut down the power grid in Northern California for up to five days--so that their ill-maintained lines won't spark a mega-fire (again).
Awesome, you're in for some great listening. And PG&E - So uncool!
Might think about a gas powered generator humprof, 'cause they're on shaky ground :censored:

Awesome, you're in for some great listening. And PG&E - So uncool!
Might think about a gas powered generator humprof, 'cause they're on shaky ground :censored:

Looks like the outage is definitely on, Pup--even though there's zero fire danger where I live. At least 36 hours, possibly longer. So I guess I'll see you all on the flip side, as we used to say. Or who knows?--maybe on Tapatalk.

Looks like the outage is definitely on, Pup--even though there's zero fire danger where I live. At least 36 hours, possibly longer. So I guess I'll see you all on the flip side, as we used to say. Or who knows?--maybe on Tapatalk.
The power situation in California is still a mess? I remember going to see a company there on business circa 1999/2000 and they wouldn’t let us take the elevators because of rolling blackouts. Back then the problem was due to lack of power. Now it seems to be a transmission line / wind / tree issue. Ugh!

The power situation in California is still a mess? I remember going to see a company there on business circa 1999/2000 and they wouldn’t let us take the elevators because of rolling blackouts. Back then the problem was due to lack of power. Now it seems to be a transmission line / wind / tree issue. Ugh!

I think the consensus is that since deregulation, PG&E has spent far too much effort maximizing profits for shareholders and far too little actually maintaining its infrastructure. It's widely accepted--including by PG&E--that their faulty lines and towers started last year's Paradise fire, and very probably played at least some role in other devastating fires over the last few years, besides. (Let's not even talk about various gas line explosions over the past decade.) Seeking protection from further lawsuits and creditors, it filed preemptively for bankruptcy in January; unclear whether it will even survive the corporate-friendly reorganization process.

Anyway: first world problem--for me personally, anyway--just one that needn't have happened. With respect to this thread, the upshot is that it delayed my enjoyment of new acquisitions for a couple of days. (Cue violins.) But: since power in my area was restored overnight unexpectedly early--after my workplace had already declared it would be shut down again today--I have a fall surround holiday! So excuse me while I get back to Abbey Road, and whatever Yellow Brick Road it is that leads to the Wizard of Watford!

Last edited:
...Anyway: first world problem--for me personally, anyway--just one that needn't have happened. With respect to this thread, the upshot is that it delayed my enjoyment of new acquisitions for a couple of days. (Cue violins.) But: since power in my area was restored overnight unexpectedly early--after my workplace had already declared it would be shut down again today--I have a fall surround holiday! So excuse me while I get back to Abbey Road, and whatever Yellow Brick Road it is that leads to the Wizard of Watford!

"Surround Day" vs. "Snow Day"...I love it! For those of us who are desperate...like me...there are generators with self-contained inverters that can supply power to electronics without the risk of frying them. We have a Honda EU2000i, an older version of this one:

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2200i
The inverter makes them very expensive for the power rating, but all of your computers, A/V receivers, Bluray players, etc. will be safe from surges and spikes.

Humprof, ever consider forming an All Acoustic Band to fill in those musical gaps when the power grids run amok ..... The P G and Eers? Acoustic Rock and light classical!

Last edited:
Still waiting on Psurroundabout Ride--Friday?--but in the meantime, Deep Discount shipped me these two discs from 2L, and I'll include them both in this post, even though the most recent, Tomba sonora, which came out just a week or so ago, also includes a Blu Ray with what's supposed to be a knockout Atmos mix. (Also Auro 3-D.) Ljos is winter/holiday folk music; Tomba sonora a "site-specific" choral project--pieces by Kristin Bolstad for the ensemble Stemmerglang--recorded in Oslo's Vigeland mausoleum. Looking forward to both.

IMG_20191023_090624860.jpg

Last edited:
I think the consensus is that since deregulation, PG&E has spent far too much effort maximizing profits for shareholders and far too little actually maintaining its infrastructure. It's widely accepted--including by PG&E--that their faulty lines and towers started last year's Paradise fire, and very probably played at least some role in other devastating fires over the last few years, besides. (Let's not even talk about various gas line explosions over the past decade.) Seeking protection from further lawsuits and creditors, it filed preemptively for bankruptcy in January; unclear whether it will even survive the corporate-friendly reorganization process.

Anyway: first world problem--for me personally, anyway--just one that needn't have happened. With respect to this thread, the upshot is that it delayed my enjoyment of new acquisitions for a couple of days. (Cue violins.) But: since power in my area was restored overnight unexpectedly early--after my workplace had already declared it would be shut down again today--I have a fall surround holiday! So excuse me while I get back to Abbey Road, and whatever Yellow Brick Road it is that leads to the Wizard of Watford!
Unfortunate choices for band name and album title:
PG&E.jpg

After this you might want to listen to some Anthrax.

Airto - Fingers/In Concert
Hugo Montenegro - Hugo in Wonderland/Neil’s Diamonds
Hugo Montenegro - The Godfather/Fistful of Dollars
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
The Guess Who - Rockin’/The Best of Vol.II
George Benson - Body Talk
The Main Ingredient - Euphrates River
Paul Revere & The Raiders - Hard’N’Heavy/Indian Reservation

Still have 18 on my DV wish list but trying to catch up !

Herbie was mandatory, fortunately it is still available in reasonable prices. I chose the Doors based on the polls here.
The last one, Delta Crossroads by Lockwood Robert Jr is something I found locally, the surround on this one is probably just some ambience and chances are it will sound better in 2-channel, but I'm looking forward to spinning this one anyway.

IMG_0815.HEIC-kopia.jpg

Added to my "pile," indeed. Thanks to @gene_stl , who hepped us to a sale on Channel Classics titles, I got these three in yesterday's mail--along with the ITCOTCK 50th and a half-dozen Dutton-Epochs, that is. Now there's nothing left on my Christmas list, and I'll be lucky if I manage to listen to all of these before the end of the year.

IMG_20191115_092951637.jpg

that mug is UNOPENED! I was telling @fredblue that as soon as I slice it open, DV will announce an O'Jays 2-fer: Ship Ahoy and Survival

I suspect this was the sealed copy that's been sitting on eBay for $300 the last few months (not judging at all - I dropped $125 for a used copy not long ago). In my humble opinion, it's one of the best surround mixes ever. I hope D-V sees fit to do Family Reunion, Survival, and especially Message In The Music someday soon...

Back