Which albums would you like to hear in 5.1 surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what you mean; but my two favorites are "Spirit and the Blues" and "Good Stuff" with Needed Time. They don't have a lot of rear channel action, but the music is very personal & spiritual.
That’s what I mean, you talked to me and you gave me your opinion on Eric Bibb, that’s all, thank you.

Not sure what you mean; but my two favorites are "Spirit and the Blues" and "Good Stuff" with Needed Time. They don't have a lot of rear channel action, but the music is very personal & spiritual.

I would also just like to add that these Opus label recordings have a really clean sound that I believe may be attributed to quality of studio microphones and other production techniques.

You'll have Fugazi and Script soon, both confirmed by the band as part of the current reissue program

If it is part of a big box-set, I won't buy this, because i only want the blu-ray.

Tesla, 5 man acoustical jam.

I feel Tesla is a highly underappreciated band from the hair era. Would love any of there first 3 albums or the above in real 5.1, not dulby.

Lynne’s “ELO” album from a few years ago (I forget the title offhand) was horribly boring and sounded nothing like ELO, IMO. I doubt I’d pay to see him at this point.
Do you mean, Armchair Theatre? I found that album to be very good. It sounded like the last couple of Electric Light Orchestra records from the 80’s.

The problem now is that he’s touring under the ELO name when it really should be his name for various reasons. To me, the last great album was Secret Messages but I always thought that he should have dropped using ELO and gone solo after Discovery.

Tesla, 5 man acoustical jam.

I feel Tesla is a highly underappreciated band from the hair era. Would love any of there first 3 albums or the above in real 5.1, not dulby.
I still listen to Psychotic Supper every 5-10 years :p

Do you mean, Armchair Theatre? I found that album to be very good. It sounded like the last couple of Electric Light Orchestra records from the 80’s.

The problem now is that he’s touring under the ELO name when it really should be his name for various reasons. To me, the last great album was Secret Messages but I always thought that he should have dropped using ELO and gone solo after Discovery.
No. “Armchair Theater” WAS very good.

I am referring to “Alone in the Universe” which he released as “Jeff Lynne’s ELO” In 2015.

Last edited:
I saw Jeff Lynne's ELO at The Oakland Coliseum this 2018 year, almost boring.

Saw them live 3 times between 74-76 turned on some rural friends to them that didn't have any fm music stations like I had in Detroit (got married and moved to music dead zone, w.t.f. was I thinking, 42 years this spring). Only album bought was Eldorado........

Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Oasis - Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants
Moby - Play
Twenty One Pilots - Trench
The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Collective Soul - Collective Soul (Álbum)

a better mix of Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

Last edited:
How about some live albums in 5.1 or better

The Who - Live at Leeds/Hull
Deep Purple - Made in Japan (If it ever gets released because we all know Steven Wilson did it ages ago)
Scorpions - World Wide Live
Kiss - Alive
Led Zeppelin - 9/29/71 from Japan - Yes I know its a bootleg but who cares its an absolute glorious recording and their best ever performance
ELP - Welcome Back My Friends
Yes - Yessongs

Any takers or any live albums I've forgotten?

Oh yes and

Chicago Live at Carnegie Hall

and don't forget the original Kiss Alive was done by none other than EK so with the job he just did on EL think about what he could with with this

Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Oasis - Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants
Moby - Play
Twenty One Pilots - Trench
The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Collective Soul - Collective Soul (Álbum)

a better mix of Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

In case you didn't know, this DVD contains videos from Moby's Play album with audio options in stereo and 5.1 surround sound. It's been a while since I've played it so I can't remember what the mixes are like but it's an option to consider all the same :)

In case you didn't know, this DVD contains videos from Moby's Play album with audio options in stereo and 5.1 surround sound. It's been a while since I've played it so I can't remember what the mixes are like but it's an option to consider all the same :)

As we say in the US of A, Derek ..... NBD [No Big Deal]. I wish the actual album PLAY was remixed into 5.1 and released in Hi Res!

Resurrection Band

check this out if you like Zepp and Heep, with Grace Slick and dulcimer thrown in there...

ss0011.jpg

Last edited:
JACO PASTORIUS – WORD OF MOUTH
Let’s visit an album that is very spiritual in nature. Not spiritual in the religious sense, but spiritual in human abilities: for exploration, of the aural senses, new frontiers and of creativity. This album along with Jaco’s talents achieved in his short troubled life gave inspiration to legions of musicians and propelled bass playing techniques into new territories. But more than that were his compositional skills during this time, utilizing a very large Jazz band format that to this day is regarded as legendary.

WORD OF MOUTH.jpg

As a starting place for getting to know the Jaco Pastorius story, an excellent starting point is the DVD or Blu-Ray video produced by Metallica’s bassist Robert Trujillo.
https://www.discogs.com/Jaco-Pastorius-Jaco/release/8461680

Here is a list of stellar musicians that appear in the Word of Mouth band-
http://jacopastorius.com/music/word-of-mouth/

Here is a discography-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaco_Pastorius_discography

One of the main reasons I believe this album deserves to be mixed to a surround sound format, is that a simple stereo representation of this large of a band will never bring forth the true power and brilliance of the music. This album really cries out to have a larger listening sound stage that would free it from its stereo confines. The real challenge for such an undertaking would be for whoever takes up this task to create an immersive mix that does the music justice. I could easily see (as others might like as well) if it were to be produced to a Blu-Ray format, and have enough space on the disc, that there could be 2 or 3 alternate surround mixes so the listener could enjoy their preference.

What’s unique for me about this album (and others) by Jaco, is the visualizations I get from listening to his music. One of my favorite examples of this is from his self-titled 76’ album, a song named: Okonkolé Y Trompa. This is a harmonics based masterpiece that invokes a visual story (for me) of running alongside Impala like creatures on a vast alien prairie, darkened skies above and with the grasslands on fire; the creatures weaving and darting through the flames to escape. If you listen closely you’ll hear another bass line underlying the harmonics bass line.

What grabbed me the most about Word Of Mouth though was the introduction to the great harmonica player Toots Thielemans (who is prominently featured on some of the tracks); and also the influences I hear from the band he was in “Weather Report.” Perhaps influence especially from Joe Zawinal, even though they had their differences.

To get a sense of what this album may have sounded like if mixed in surround we have two later SACD releases (both worthy of owning if you like this style of music), from the band giving tribute to the music:

Jaco Pastorius Big Band ‎– Word Of Mouth Revisited
https://www.discogs.com/Jaco-Pastorius-Big-Band-Word-Of-Mouth-Revisited/release/1795899

and

Jaco Pastorius Big Band ‎– The Word Is Out!
https://www.discogs.com/Jaco-Pastorius-Big-Band-The-Word-Is-Out/release/1929257?ev=rr

However, I just feel these two releases; as good as they are, just don’t capture what makes the original Word Of Mouth album special, which is the musical direction of the man himself. There is also a kind of veil that weaves its way through the original music; that seems to me to be reflective of his many struggles and perhaps a sensitivity that reveals itself in the music’s dynamic qualities. Many great musical artists have memorialized Jaco in tribute songs, including Miles Davis, John McLaughlin and many others.

Some have said Jaco came onto the Jazz scene proclaiming he was “the greatest bass player in the world”; turns out he was right, and it’s not bragging if it’s true.

Last edited:
Aerosmith - The Broadcast Collection - 1973-1994

The packaging and production as in sound quality/mastering is beyond explanation because it’s that AMAZING!! The only thing that could better this is a multi-channel release in LPCM!!! All the discs are pic discs reproduced from the same jackets they come in. I highly recommend it. 15 discs in total with a 24 page booklet with GREAT reading material and AWESOME color/B&W from their formative times.
Aerosmith 1.jpeg
Aerosmith 2.jpeg

Back