Which Linux install for Intel NUC?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have added how to do it.

Download the .tar file.

Connect to LibreElec by entering its IP address in Windows Explorer. something like:
\\192.168.1.11 <Enter>

Windows Explorer will show you a number of folders on your NUC.

Copy the .tar into the Update folder.

Reboot you NUC and on startup it will see the update .tar file and self install it.

I'm about to same here on my spare SSD (I have a fifth gen i3 NUC)

Awesome, thanks. I'll give it a go this evening!

Awesome, thanks. I'll give it a go this evening!

I ended up doing a fresh install of LibreElec 8.2.3 (the latest offical release of version 8 - Kodi code named Krypton v17) then using the version 9 (Kodi code named Leia v18alpha) update .tar to got to 9 alpha. I did this because my spare SSD only had a old 256MB partition. Newer versions need 512MB.

Seems to be running fine. Just scanning my NAS into the Kodi library then I'll run a few random tests, playback various FLACs, Music Videos with DTS-HDMA etc and movies with Atmos, DTS:X etc. I'll post here later to report any problems.

EDIT: All working on my i3 NUC (5th gen)

I should have added how to do it.

Download the .tar file.

Connect to LibreElec by entering its IP address in Windows Explorer. something like:
\\192.168.1.11 <Enter>

Windows Explorer will show you a number of folders on your NUC.

Copy the .tar into the Update folder.

Reboot you NUC and on startup it will see the update .tar file and self install it.

I'm about to same here on my spare SSD (I have a fifth gen i3 NUC)

Not sure why, but I can't get access this way. I'm on a Mac, I tried Chrome and Safari. If I add port 8080 to my NUC IP (http://192.168.0.25:8080) then I do get access to the Chorus2 web remote, which is super cool! But no luck with directory access.

BTW your NUC is 5th Gen, which doesn't have the audio passthrough problem. 6th and 7th gen NUC's have the problem. You don't have NUC6 or 7 to test?

Not sure why, but I can't get access this way. I'm on a Mac, I tried Chrome and Safari. If I add port 8080 to my NUC IP (http://192.168.0.25:8080) then I do get access to the Chorus2 web remote, which is super cool! But no luck with directory access.

Please re-read my last post:

Windows Explorer not Internet Explorer so that's probably Finder not Safari.
\\192.168.0.25 not http://192.168.0.25

I found this doing a search: How to browse your network on a Mac

• In the Finder, choose Go > Connect to Server, then click Browse.
  • Find the computer's name in the Shared section of the Finder sidebar, then click it to connect. ...
  • When you locate the shared computer or server, select it, then click Connect As
I suspect you can enter the IP address somewhere too

Yes mine does not have the HDMI issue latest models have, but LibreElec 9 alpha is running ok. I didn't have any issues although I used today's release. They have daily releases during alpha stage.

THX
Garry

Hey guys, quick PSA if you ever run into audio dropouts or HDMI handshake issues with your Linux music machine.

Over the last 1-2 days, I have been experiencing an issue where some FLAC files had an audio dropout when they started to play, no matter what player I tried. The first second or so was silent. It confused the hell out of me, because until 2 days ago, Mint had been playing back my audio perfectly, even better than Ubuntu (see my post above).

After some digging, I noticed that the dropout reflected on my receiver's screen by the controls flashing off for the duration of the dropout (e.g., the speaker icons disappeared for a moment). I immediately thought, oh shit, HDMI handshake!!

Dug some more and found this thread on Ubuntu Forums:
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2215224.html

It turns out that you need to start the PulseAudio loopback module, which will keep HDMI alive at all times.

Steps (for Linux Mint or Ubuntu):
1. Open Startup Applications
2. Click on "Add"
3. Name it e.g. "Keep HDMI alive"
4. The command is pactl load-module module-loopback
5. No more dropouts!

Back