Which Shostakovich Symphony No. 5 to keep.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice a couple of classical discs on the polls. Can we get voting started for this one?

(Spoiler alert: I give it a 10)

Even if you aren't a big classical guy, if you are a movie guy you should buy this. The Barber Adagio has been used to great effect in more than a couple films. I think the first time I heard it was in a gripping scene in "Platoon".

BTW, slightly off topic, but this disc brought to my attention the first subtle lack of cohesion in my surround set up. Toward the end of the Allegro Non Troppo there are some staccato tympani parts that revealed a subtle "slowness" in the subwoofer. I was hearing the overtones ever so slightly ahead of the deep fundamentals. I've never noticed this on a rock recording. I'm wondering if this is inherent in the recording or if it is something that I can correct in my system, perhaps by changing the "distance" setting on the sub channel or the phase setting on the sub itself. I wouldn't expect a 2x10 to be particularly slow, but I did notice it here, just ever so slightly. Thoughts?

@Kal Rubinson, could you spot check and see if you notice this at all on your system?

Last edited:
Back