Which Surround Titles Have You Passed On?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esimms86

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Though I obviously still actively buy music in surround, there are a handful of relatively high profile titles that I have purposely passed on. The two major reasons for me, not surprisingly, are (1)disinterest in a particular tile, and (2)expense. I'm clearly not the only retired person on the forum who has to make choices based on a smaller monthly cash flow. I wonder what similarly informed choices other QQers have made. Remember, I'm not talking about, say, a person opting not to buy a Dutton Vocalion reissue because they're not into classical music(not meant in any way as a knock against the classics and those of us who love them). I'm talking about items that you seriously considered purchasing and then decided to take a pass on.

Here is my list(in no particular order):

Jethro Tull - This Was(I truthfully only cared for a couple of songs on this one)
Heavy Horses(the Tull of my misspent youth ended with TAAB)
Too Old To Rock and Roll(ditto)
The Band - The Band(too expensive, plus I have a nice MoFi SACD in stereo)
XTC - Drums and Wires(I missed this one when it came out and I was too cheap to spend the money later)
Black Sea(ditto)

Having said all that, I admit to being woefully inconsistent. IOW, I did spring for Gene Clark/No Other(mega expensive but I'm a major fan) and the Stones/Rock and Roll Circus(as much as I love the Stones, I should have saved my money!). I have also sprung for a sizeable number of Dutton Vocalion that I otherwise might have passed on because I love the idea of supporting Dutton Vocalion(I can't be alone in that!).

Last edited:
Hey ya gotta do what feels right to you. These mega box sets are a real dilemma to many folks here (myself included); plus it all goes back to my thoughts on a Catch-22 for T.O.M.B.S.
But you have to admit I feel; it's great having this many choices in surround (let your bargain sniffing hound out :cool:)

I've skipped the Band 50th, as I have the earlier surround. As a latecomer, I'm afraid that's about it, FOMO :cautious:

Not that big of a Floyd fan to get the mega-boxes, either. I do have the surrounds put out singly, and good quality CDs of most of their catelog, however.

Oddly, I couldn't bring myself to buy the Floyd early years mega box.....yet.....I then, one by one, purchased the stand-alone boxes of mostly same material...only each was in the 40-60 price range, if I recall. I now own them all. lmao
I did the same thing... that’s why I’m passing on the later years set... I’m hoping to buy more of the small book sets!

Propaganda - A Secret Wish
Glad I read the reviews before I plunged. It's supposed to be phony surround.
I really enjoyed the other ZTT title (Frankie goes to Hollywood)
From what I've heard they really blew it on Secret Wish.

Hey ya gotta do what feels right to you. These mega box sets are a real dilemma to many folks here (myself included); plus it all goes back to my thoughts on a Catch-22 for T.O.M.B.S.
But you have to admit I feel; it's great having this many choices in surround (let your bargain sniffing hound out :cool:)
The glass IS half full!

I just spent a fortune upgrading my system [not installed yet] but can't bring myself to add to the clutter any further with massive box sets only to get a couple of surround discs. It seems the sets ARE getting larger and with the inclusion of vinyl to me is a BIG TURNOFF.

Bring on the next batch of Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACDs ...

Last edited:
Hopeful Predictions: Gene Clark's NO OTHER will eventually be released as a stand alone BD~A.........PF's Later Years will [like Gene predicted] be released in smaller box sets.......The Band will be further reduced as Black Friday and Cyber Monday approach.

If you recall: Guns n' Roses Appetite for Destruction boxset was 'blown out' by their website for $40 delivered and I was able to buy Rush's Farewell to Kings Box set for $50 deivered, brand new recently.

I also have a huge Classical mch disc collection, continue to buy UHD4K discs [some as low as 6 bucks] and am still reveling in my Leonard Bernstein Centenary 100 RBCD collection [$125 delivered] which have all been superbly remastered by SONY.

There's certainly NO dearth of music nor video in my house!

Passed on quite a bunch of surround titles for awhile. I don't purchase anymore to... 1) get my collection size increased....2) or to buy discrete mixes recommended for impressing folks (if I don't like the music it's not discrete......I don't play it).......3) if it didn't originally chart in the top 25 of billboards top 100 albums it's a good reason not to buy (Means I didn't hear it or it didn't sell well, with some exceptions). I will buy my Holy Grail of surround sound music since the 1st DTS offerings late 1990's, in whatever format on it's eventual release in 2020.
Pink Floyd Animals........

I love the Band but will not purchase the big box sets. hopefully they will one day appear at my favourite used store at a good price but I'm not getting my hopes up
Still pondering JT Stormwatch but will likely buy it just to keep the JT library complete.

I regretted not preordering A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set. Luckily, I was able to order a copy today from Amazon and after applying amazon points I got it for $59.40 and I will get it on the 6th.

Back