"White Album Weekend" - November 2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Since a lot of us will be revisiting 'The Beatles', the double LP known as the White Album after it's all white cover, this weekend, I thought it would be fun to get the memories of your first play. Especially you old timers (like me). Coming after Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour, here was this double LP with all kinds of tunes that covered many different styles of music. From Granny to Bizarre!

With a nod towards this being a bit SHF-ish, let's try it and keep on topic and stay cordial with each other.

I'll go first:

I was a junior in High School at the time of it's release. A big Beatles guy. The White Album arrived and I pretty much locked myself in my room and listened to it over and over, looking at all of the pictures on the big poster. The easy-to-digest stuff got my attention first - Back in the USSR, Ob-La-Di, Rocky Racoon, Bungalow Bill, and the ballads, I Will, Julia, Dear Prudence, and such. At first I skipped Side 3. It was a bit too heavy for me (at the time). As for 'Revolution No 9', I listened but did not understand why "Hey Jude" was not in it's place. Looking back, the old Capitol Records would have done just that if the group had not stomped on their practice of screwing around with their albums.

Anyway, I played this thing the old fashioned way, with one of those record players that stacked the LP's, so when Side 1 was over, Side 2 would drop down on the platter and then would play. Too funny when I think about that happening.

Back then I never thought about this album being a bunch of solo tracks, or signalling the eventual break up of the group. There was no single, which was weird, but I didn't care I had the album(s).

I know I played Side 1 and Side 2 a lot more than 3 and 4, but I did like a lot of songs that were on those sides, like "weeps", "cry baby cry", "Long Long Long" and others.

I thought it was great, it was the Beatles. And now, I am totally looking forward to hearing it again, in surround! :)

I was in my second year of college. When I bought this album, I thought how cool it was that each one was individually numbered. The lyric insert had some wierd pictures which told me this wasn't the Hard Day's Night boys anymore.
Side one FAVS were USSR, Prudence, WMGGW, and Warm Gun.
Side two FAVS were So Tired, I Will, and Julia. Overall my least favorite side.
Side three FAVS were Birthday, Yer Blues, Monkey, Sadie, HS, and Long, Long, Long.
Side four FAVS were Revolution 1 (although I've always preferred the single version), Savoy Truffle, and Cry Baby Cry.
I remember listening to this album over and over, when I should have been studying. Drove my roommate crazy. Not a Beatles fan.
Dating a girl who's name was Dara Jo. Switched my major to Radio & TV Broadcasting. So many memories associated with this album. Only now can I really appreciate what a groundbreaking release this was. Now, I like the entire album, even Revolution 9.
At my age, I never want time to go too quickly, but Friday can't come soon enough. :smokin

I was living in the dorms at C W Post College in Greenvale New York when a friend, Steve Simels, who later became a music reviewer for Stereo Review, excitedly ran up the stairs touting The White Album. We went to a friend's dorm who had a new KLH Stereo system and played it in its entirety.

My first impression was one of indifference. I didn't know what to make of it. Steve was elated as he was a huge Beatles fan at the time. I, not so much.

Over time, I have grown to love The White Album and look forward to hearing it remixed into 5.1 and in the back of my mind, I wonder what Steve Simels is doing nowadays. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/whatever-became-of-steve-simels.115917/page-2

As I said before, a great memories for me. 1968, all we had was radio, mostly AM as San Francisco FM got going late 68/69. I was in 7th grade and I opened my Christmas present from under the tree and there was this really shiny white/slick/soft jacket heavy with two albums. Went in my room and immersed myself in all the Beatles glory. Every song was a hit on first listen, no growing on me. Played it on my fold out turntable with detachable speakers. I loved the reissue of Sgt. Pepper last year and this will be even better. Good times then and good times now.

I first came into possession of this album in the summer of 1970. My parents knew I had recently gotten back into The Beatles in a big way, but I had never asked for The White Album because it was expensive. I had heard a lot about it from friends and relatives, but really had no first hand listening experience. Well, one summer afternoon my parents came home from shopping and said that they had picked up something for me at Sam Goody's. Out came The White Album. I almost fell over.

The discs immediately got stacked onto the Magnificent Magnavox record changer with its gigantic 5 wpc tube amplifier. I was really surprised at what I had heard...a series of weird songs, comical songs, happy songs and melancholy songs intertwined among each other...and of course the famous line, "You become naked."

This is going to sound really funny. I grew up in a rural area and didn't get exposed to, well, anything that wasn't on top 40 radio. I was ten in 1976. My dad took me with him to visit family in Monroe Michigan. One day we went to visit my uncle Jerry. He was an auto worker who had a welding shop in his garage and built stuff in his spare time. He was making my dad a Franklin stove. So, he and dad and I were sitting on folding chairs in the densely packed suburban front yard. I was used to not even being able to see my neighbors houses and his street was kind of like Brooklyn. Anyway, the two of them are talking and I am bored silly. Then, from three houses down, the White Album starts playing. Loudly. It sounded like a concert. Only I didn't know it was the White Album. I didn't know for sure what I was listening to until the seventh track (WMGGW). It was the only song our local station played from that album. What I did know was that it was amazing. I sat there inching away from the conversation and toward the music. Finally my uncle Jerry asked me what my problem was. I said "This music, it's great". He shook his head, looked toward the source of the music and said (expletive racial slur). If you watch "King of the Hill", I'm pretty sure Dale Gribble was modeled after my uncle Jerry. Anyway, once we were home I didn't stop bothering my folks to get me a copy of that album until they did for my birthday that October. Which, BTW, was the first time I heard "Birthday" and thought that was really cool.

After the game changing 'Sgt Pepper' I thought how can this be topped. So in my infinite wisdom I didn't think it could and...I moved on to Hendrix and the Stones. I have never owned this album in any format apart from a recently purchased digital copy. (hunkers down) I got back into the Beatles with Abbey Road. This will be the missing part of the Beatles jigsaw for me and I do so hope that Giles brings his fathers magic back to life.
Although , to be honest, I'm probably more exited about Jimi's first surround release...fingers crossed.

Three releases being delivered on the NINTH.

1 The Beatles: White Album
2 Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland
3 Jethro Tull: This Was

What a fantastic year for this immersive hobby.:smokin:SB:smokin

First heard as a 9 year old in Sweden, my cousin Jon Petersson (the family's older teen Hippie...) had a copy and my brother and I were spending several weeks living out of their guest house in the back yard in Askim (South of Goteborg...) which contained a bunk bed and a real stereo system. It led to many battles as my brother and I always had to be different; he preferred the Stones, me the Beatles, he limes, me lemons....Yes, we are still that way. Jon also introduced us to the Who, and Copenhagen snus....probably not a good thing!

My first time "almost" hearing it all the way through was in 1977 after I finally bought the LP set.

I had lined up outside Sam The Record Man in Toronto on a -10C Boxing Day for over an hour to get in.

After taking the train all the way back home to play it in its entirety for the very first time I found out the pressing I picked up was a mule. Side 3 was side 3 of "Wings Over America" but the label indicates side 3 of "The White Album". Go figger. I still have it.

I did not hear it in full until the 1987 CD's came out.

Last edited:
I wasn't nearly as hip as all of you. I heard The Beatles a lot growing up because my brother had the records, but when I started buying records it was 1978 and The Beatles weren't in my purview (although I'll reluctantly admit that I was a big fan of the Bee Gees & Peter Frampton's Sgt. Pepper debacle). In the fall of 1988 I was in my second year of grad school and decided to make a deliberate study of The Beatles (knowing full well that I would like it), and decided to buy the most expensive CD first, their only double CD at the time. What a fantastic listen that was, and pretty much NOTHING like what I had heard from my brother's collection. The house will be loud this weekend.

I remember my first "first hand sighting" of the White Album very well. Back in the day of decomposing drive-in's now being used as weekend swap meets. The album wasn't due for release for another week or so. I was walking the aisles and saw one vendor with stacks of two new releases. This was the day of major bootleg versions being peddled with cheap covers in abundance at swap meets. One seller was showing stacks of the "White Album" and "Their Satanic Majesties Request" available for purchase. Of course the White Album had its stark blank white cover and Majesties being basic white with the title. I was sure these were just more bootlegs. But...the vinyl playing by the vendor had an album with a green apple spinning. I was sure it sounded like new Beatles but I left saying I don't want a bootleg, I want the real thing of both now classic albums. The eventual listening for this junior high school lad was surreal due to the great variety. Number 9 required multiple listening's including spinning the turntable backwards once it was alerted that poor Paul was dead and I needed the additional clues to verify.

Quick flash back to Sgt. Pepper receipt - My brother and I had both won copies via radio contests. They both arrived in the mail together and I was so good that I anxiously awaited my brother getting home from high school football practice before opening our packages. We were in awe of the music and wow look, The Beatles look completely different! Another amazement was that the lyrics were included.

In '68, I was listening to lots of things that FM stations around Chicago were playing for a few hours around midnight. Underground.

It was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I had heard a few tracks on FM already. With Mom's permission, I played hooky.

Polk Brothers had it on vinyl for $5. Sold! I played that thing dozens of times over the holidays.

Korvettes had a couple stacks, both 5 feet tall.

I've owned this one on US LP, UK LP (blue box,) UK mono LP (maroon box,) Mofi 1/2 speed LP in the Collection box, Us 2 CD, UK 2 CD (black rolltop box,) Japan mono 2 CD (white box,) Remastered US 2 CD (black box), 2 white CD, & US 2 cassettes.

I just bought my 11th copy of this! I used to shoot up with a phonograph needle. Now, I use a laser.

I first heard the white album when i borrowed a friend's older brother's copy (the 1987 double cd), and could not stop listening for weeks! I still remember the sheer joy at hearing Dear Prudence, and playing it on repeat. After several months, I just couldn't bring myself to give it back, and I couldn't afford the £30+ for a new copy at Our Price, so I swapped my copies of the first Foo fighters album and Green Day's Dookie for it (those albums were fairly new so I guess that dates it at 1995). I have zero regrets at doing that.

I talked of my experiences of this album when new in another White album thread here but suffice it to say, after playing this to death and getting the fan club goodies, it was a seriously fab Christmas. The original lp I had got destroyed looking for clues to dead paul the next year, it had to be rebought in 1970. ...along with the 8-track, of course;)

2nd album in a trifecta for bragging rights over my older brother. Big brother got SPLHCB on release and I waited, Christmas 67 I opened up a present and was surprised to see that my mother (Santa, I was 11 years old) got me MMT. I immediately ran upstairs at my grandparents house and put it on the big ol player stereo console (Hugh, great sounding Hi-Fi) I am the Walrus, my favorite kinda trippy real cool. For some reason the WA was released a day after my birthday and once again a present from dear old mom. Definitely liked the heaviness of it especially Lennon's vocals. Needless to say older brother was pissed about my collection and I added the YS album in Jan. 69 before he could Ha. He made sure to buy Let it be and Abbey Road before me though which was OK because I've never owned them to this day.
My favorites are.
The White Album
Magical Mystery Tour
Yellow Submarine
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Peppers

Back