Who will replace Oppo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations. Which machine did you get? Also, do you remember about when you asked to be placed on the invitation-to-buy email list? Thanks.
Went on the wait list on May 9th for the 205. When I receive it I will have 5 universal players, 4 with analog outputs. Still want to get a modified Oppo to play Pal discs. After that I think I will be set till the grim reaper comes a callin.

Went on the wait list on May 9th for the 205. When I receive it I will have 5 universal players, 4 with analog outputs. Still want to get a modified Oppo to play Pal discs. After that I think I will be set till the grim reaper comes a callin.

There used to be some companies that would convert your own machine...in case you can't find one

Hi

Did you buy direct from Oppo? I have read they're prioritizing wait list applicants who bought direct from oppo as opposed from third party sellers. Not sure why they would do this. As I only bought accessories not the players direct from Oppo I will lose out. It sounds like I registered before you did yet you got an invite to buy and I have not yet. Who knows.....

Hi

Did you buy direct from Oppo? I have read they're prioritizing wait list applicants who bought direct from oppo as opposed from third party sellers. Not sure why they would do this. As I only bought accessories not the players direct from Oppo I will lose out. It sounds like I registered before you did yet you got an invite to buy and I have not yet. Who knows.....
Yes, direct from Oppo in California.

I received an email on May 9th asking to confirm my email address, so one would think that I would be right behind you. Nope. I can only speculate that the "confirm email address" emails went out in bulk because Oppo says that there are roughly 3000...yes three thousand ahead in the queue. Time to recalibrate expectations.

I read that OPPO began sending out emails yesterday. Sounds like most of the "special links" to buy are going to those who registered around early May. I assume this is the late August run of units and will be followed by the last batch sometime next month.
Yes they did. Mine is arriving today. 😎
They shipped it immediately after purchase.
Everybody that didn't get the email will soon if they are on the list.

I also received my email yesterday to purchase the UDP-205. It's been so long that I had assumed I wouldn't get one. Very excited as this will be my first Oppo upgrade since I sent back my BDP-83 for a Special Edition update many years ago!

Last edited:
Yes they did. Mine is arriving today. 😎
They shipped it immediately after purchase.
Everybody that didn't get the email will soon if they are on the list.

I figured out what is going on here regarding getting the coveted email. A few layers down on Oppo's website, they state that they began sending out emails on August 27 to registered customers to purchase a UDP-205. So if you have bought from Oppo before, you will find yourself near the top of the list. If, like me, you have never purchased an Oppo before, you will find yourself way down in the queue. Glad to hear that they value customer loyalty...which only makes it even sadder that they are exiting the market.

I figured out what is going on here regarding getting the coveted email. A few layers down on Oppo's website, they state that they began sending out emails on August 27 to registered customers to purchase a UDP-205. So if you have bought from Oppo before, you will find yourself near the top of the list. If, like me, you have never purchased an Oppo before, you will find yourself way down in the queue. Glad to hear that they value customer loyalty...which only makes it even sadder that they are exiting the market.
That makes sense. I have purchased from them before but I also entered my email on the list. Bummer for you guys that are still waiting. I still think that you will get one. I won't be using mine for awhile.

That makes sense. I have purchased from them before but I also entered my email on the list. Bummer for you guys that are still waiting. I still think that you will get one. I won't be using mine for awhile.

I'm not so sure that's how it works...it didn't for me on the 203 list and I purchased my 103D from Oppo...not a third part seller:geek:.I was able to get my 203 from a retailer at the very last moment...

You might be on to something about the loyalty factor...it didn't help me on the 203 list...even though I have a 103(D)and a new 203 that I've only used for a couple of weeks I would have gotten another 203...so I figured I'd put my name on the 205 list for a possible investment...so now I get notified that I'm selected....not sure what is next..

No, imo.
Oppo leaving the scene leaves a big hole that due to too much to describe will not be filled.
The 205 is the last and by far the best of the breed that they pioneered.

Oppo Digital taken in total, provided the most responsive, intelligent, performanced-based, connected to their customers, customer service company that I ever done business with.
Certain people deride the Oppo fanboys but they're sadly mistaken.
They can say whatever they like, we all know what Oppo really was about.

Last edited:
No, imo.
Oppo leaving the scene leaves a big hole that due to too much to describe will not be filled.
The 205 is the last and by far the best of the breed that they pioneered.

Oppo Digital taken in total, provided the most responsive, intelligent, performanced-based, connected to their customers, customer service company that I ever done business with.
Certain people deride the Oppo fanboys but they're sadly mistaken.
They can say whatever they like, we all know what Oppo really was about.

The beauty of the 205 is what you don't see. The innards are what will separate their flagship unit from their Japanese counterparts for probably years to come. The mass marketed Japanese players will have to reassess their priorities if they are ever to compete with Oppo's 'statement' Universal beauty.

And of course, without OPPO's superb customer service support......well that's a different issue altogether!

How many, if anyone, has received notification of the OPPO 205 via email yet? I have not.
I got my email and ordered it last week. Will get this week.
The Oppo web site says they are NOT sending out the notifications all at once, so as to avoid a ton of orders all at once, creating hell for theeir shipping department.

I just want analog outs.

Does anyone make a HDMI to 5.1 analog decoder?

Does anyone make a receiver that has HDMI in and analog outs so that you could use that as a converter?

Seriously, I've been looking for YEARS for something -- anything -- that can turn HDMI signal into good-sounding analog 5.1 outs that I can feed into my vintage gear.

Why is this so hard?

This is why Oppo going away sucks to me.

Back