Who will replace Oppo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read a post on another forum where the OP said he updated his firmware (to beta?) a couple of months ago and his oppo 203 could play 4k UHD iso's

Can anyone confirm?

I just read a post on another forum where the OP said he updated his firmware (to beta?) a couple of months ago and his oppo 203 could play 4k UHD iso's

Can anyone confirm?
There is a new beta firmware out from earlier this month. The description seemed rather unremarkable, mostly bug fixes, Dolby Vision compatibility for Sony TVs ?. Unfortunately I don't have any 4k ISOs. I am still trying figure out a setup/drive for ripping 4k BDs. Sure wouldn't mind a suggestion for 4k external drive/software.

If you're looking for an audiophile RBCD, SACD, DVD~A player......look elsewhere but where it probably differs from the Samsung you describe....it acquits itself brilliantly in the BD~V, 3D BD~V and UHD 4K department and if you're old enough to recall those $4K audiophile/videophile high end laserdisc players.....for $300
  • that little SONY X800 literally blows those EXTREMELY pricey dinosaurs out of the water.

And yes, I do have an OPPO 205....and a 105.....and a 95.......et alia [I have 5 working OPPOs].

I still have two working Oppos (though for budgetary reasons, I never even picked up a 203, let alone a 205)--but in an effort to extend the life of my two-year-old 103, I just scored an open-box Sony X800 at a Best Buy in Portland, Oregon (no sales tax!) for $165. I don't even remember now what I've read on these threads about the X800's transport or DAC, but it feels sturdy, and since there are no analog outs, I'll be relying on my AVR's DAC anyway....

(Best Buy.com is currently selling factory-refurbished units by mail only for $179, by the way.)

I still have two working Oppos (though for budgetary reasons, I never even picked up a 203, let alone a 205)--but in an effort to extend the life of my two-year-old 103, I just scored an open-box Sony X800 at a Best Buy in Portland, Oregon (no sales tax!) for $165. I don't even remember now what I've read on these threads about the X800's transport or DAC, but it feels sturdy, and since there are no analog outs, I'll be relying on my AVR's DAC anyway....

(Best Buy.com is currently selling factory-refurbished units by mail only for $179, by the way.)

Yep HERE.....OR you could buy a new one With a HDMI cable included for $199 HERE

For those looking for an alternative....RIGHT NOW on amazon $158 for the Sony X800...HERE

Wow--that's a great price. I just got one, open-box, at a Best Buy in Oregon (no sales tax) for $165. I've only been using it for a day, but I like it so far. (I'm using only for commercial optical discs.)

Last edited:
For those looking for an alternative....RIGHT NOW on amazon $158 for the Sony X800...HERE

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic as my current system only supports analog inputs for SACD and DVD-A: So if I get one of these Sony X800 players, what does it output audio wise through HDMI? Let's say it outputs PCM for all audio formats. Then I can hook up the X800 to a processor/AVR supporting HDMI that also has better DACS than those in the X800 and get better sound than that achievable via the DACS in the X800...right?

But what about the quality of the transport? Doesn't that make a difference in sound quality? It's hard for me to understand how a $158 Sony can compete with a $1300 Oppo 205 even if only using HDMI. When I upgraded from a vintage 1989 Nakamichi CD player to a circa 2006 Marantz unit, there was a definite improvement in sound quality even using the digital coaxial outputs on both players.

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic as my current system only supports analog inputs for SACD and DVD-A: So if I get one of these Sony X800 players, what does it output audio wise through HDMI? Let's say it outputs PCM for all audio formats. Then I can hook up the X800 to a processor/AVR supporting HDMI that also has better DACS than those in the X800 and get better sound than that achievable via the DACS in the X800...right?

But what about the quality of the transport? Doesn't that make a difference in sound quality? It's hard for me to understand how a $158 Sony can compete with a $1300 Oppo 205 even if only using HDMI. When I upgraded from a vintage 1989 Nakamichi CD player to a circa 2006 Marantz unit, there was a definite improvement in sound quality even using the digital coaxial outputs on both players.

I'll answer the second part of your question...the 800X won't compete with a 205...or IMO a 203...it's an "alternative"...and there aren't any more 205's at $1300...prices have tripled for new units...I doubt if you could get a used 205 for $1300...here are some examples...the comparison is primarily directed at the various formats it will play. The best information you can get is from someone on here that has a 800X.

According to the manual, the Sony outputs DSD over HDMI--but only if whatever it's connected to also processes DSD over HDMI (and my understanding is that most AVR's don't). Otherwise it converts to LPCM.

Can't speak to the quality of the transport, although if it makes a difference sound-wise, I'm fairly sure the rest of my system isn't good enough to let me hear it. I mainly bought a Sony so that I could put it into rotation with my Oppo 103 (and thereby extend the Oppo's life).

I think you'd be comparing apples and oranges if you attempted to compare the SONY X800 with the OPPO 205. The OPPO is more geared towards the audiophile market and has lavished more attention to its analogue outputs and power supply.

But if you can purchase an X800 for a secondary system for $158, I would definitely encourage anyone to GO FOR IT.

I have BOTH units and the SONY is a superb performer for those looking for an excellent DVD/BD~V/UH D 4K unit but for a MAIN dedicated listening system.......NO comparison......the 205 is THE champ!

I am also a FIRM believer in quality transports, internal wiring, power supplies, etc. and as the X800 would be a transport outputting HDMI into an outboard DAC, I think all things should be considered..........while the SONY has an all steel construction I'm sure its 'innards' aren't the equivalent of an OPPO so as I mentioned, the SONY would be fine for a secondary system but I wouldn't hedge my bets that you'd be happy with it as your PRIMARY source.

You gets what you pay for! No, NOT always.

Last edited:
When I started this thread I thought maybe there was a unit out there that could come close to an Oppo...with some limitations...but after the responses on this thread....I'm convinced there is no replacement for what the Oppo's did..you can get better audio equipment....better video equipment...but no one unit does as much...even if you increased the price point...there is a huge void in the marketplace left by Oppo's departure...and I don't think there is going to be a replacement...because if the market was lucrative...Oppo wouldn't have left....

Having said all that...I would suggest people who don't have a player now that will play all the formats...grab the 800 for $158...little to lose at that price point IMO...I know when I first came to the surround hobby I spent my funds on the out of print titles that were costly and later got an Oppo….if you don't want the 800 at this price...consider a used 103...I saw one on Ebay that sounds like a good unit to buy...although I have a new 203 in addition to my 103D...I'd love another 103..

When I started this thread I thought maybe there was a unit out there that could come close to an Oppo...with some limitations...but after the responses on this thread....I'm convinced there is no replacement for what the Oppo's did..you can get better audio equipment....better video equipment...but no one unit does as much...even if you increased the price point...there is a huge void in the marketplace left by Oppo's departure...and I don't think there is going to be a replacement...because if the market was lucrative...Oppo wouldn't have left....

Having said all that...I would suggest people who don't have a player now that will play all the formats...grab the 800 for $158...little to lose at that price point IMO...I know when I first came to the surround hobby I spent my funds on the out of print titles that were costly and later got an Oppo….if you don't want the 800 at this price...consider a used 103...I saw one on Ebay that sounds like a good unit to buy...although I have a new 203 in addition to my 103D...I'd love another 103..

My sentiments, PRECISELY, Clint.

AFAIK, there will be NO replacement for OPPO and as we're nearing the end of physical disc replication, doubtful it would be profitable for any hardware manufacturer to try to replicate OPPO's success with a replacement 'all in one' Swiss Army Knife player.

AMEN

COMING in 2020: The VERY limited Region Free OPPO CE [Clint Eastwood Edition] cradled atop a Genuine Western Leather Saddle for Maximum Isolation.

And with this very limited edition player comes an assortment of goodies including a bottle of fredblue's patented fairy liquid and 4~ear's approved TWEAK array consisting of Mapleshade Polish, Ultra Bit Diamond Plus disc enhancement fluid, a Marigo HD Damper and Walker Audio's TALISMAN disc/speaker demagnetizer.

The Player will NOT recognize lossy codecs like Dolby Digital or DTS but instead will automatically upsample to 64 bit/880x.

And the luxurious titanium remote control will also incorporate a Like(y) button [similar to the one at QQ] which if you gently press it will flash a giant LIKE on your video screen in hot pink fluorescent lighting indicating your approval of content.

And for the first 100 buyers, two FREE tickets at a local amusement park for adult~assisted PONY RIDES! [HEE~HAW]!

And the price. Well, if you need to ask ............

Last edited:

I bought the X800 around Christmas for $199 CDN and the Oppo 203 a month or so into the new year. The X800 does make a great second machine, but has some limitations. It will never do Dolby Vision, and can be a bit buggy. I've had some minor annoyances, but don't use it near as much as the 203. For anyone interested I'd read through the X800 thread over on AVS to see issues some are having, and what some of the pluses are. One of the things I think will be hard for another manufacturer to step up to fill Oppo shoes is concerning customer service. I noticed a small problem on the 203 (when playing a Dolby Vision 4K disc, the 'pure audio' function didn't operate as intended). After an email to Oppo, it was part of the new firmware that arrived back in June. This is my second Oppo and I've always felt like they're listening to their customers and are prepared to help fix issues as they come along, on top of having one of the better built machines out there. I'm not feeling that with Sony (and other manufacturers like Samsung). There seemed to be enough people complaining about the latest firmware for the X800 that I've decided to hold off for a bit to let the dust settle. Just have that queasy feeling that there is a disconnect between huge companies like Sony and their customers. Part of Oppo's charm over the years I think has been their availability with folks who have purchased their products. What can't be undersold with Oppo is what a great package they presented: high quality products + customer service, as a set those will be hard to match by anyone wanting to step up to fill this void.

I bought the X800 around Christmas for $199 CDN and the Oppo 203 a month or so into the new year. The X800 does make a great second machine, but has some limitations. It will never do Dolby Vision, and can be a bit buggy. I've had some minor annoyances, but don't use it near as much as the 203. For anyone interested I'd read through the X800 thread over on AVS to see issues some are having, and what some of the pluses are. One of the things I think will be hard for another manufacturer to step up to fill Oppo shoes is concerning customer service. I noticed a small problem on the 203 (when playing a Dolby Vision 4K disc, the 'pure audio' function didn't operate as intended). After an email to Oppo, it was part of the new firmware that arrived back in June. This is my second Oppo and I've always felt like they're listening to their customers and are prepared to help fix issues as they come along, on top of having one of the better built machines out there. I'm not feeling that with Sony (and other manufacturers like Samsung). There seemed to be enough people complaining about the latest firmware for the X800 that I've decided to hold off for a bit to let the dust settle. Just have that queasy feeling that there is a disconnect between huge companies like Sony and their customers. Part of Oppo's charm over the years I think has been their availability with folks who have purchased their products. What can't be undersold with Oppo is what a great package they presented: high quality products + customer service, as a set those will be hard to match by anyone wanting to step up to fill this void.

You would be lucky to even talk to someone in Sony Tech support...let alone fix something...

COMING in 2020: The VERY limited Region Free OPPO CE [Clint Eastwood Edition] cradled atop a Genuine Western Leather Saddle for Maximum Isolation.

And with this very limited edition player comes an assortment of goodies including a bottle of fredblue's patented fairy liquid and 4~ear's approved TWEAK array consisting of Mapleshade Polish, Ultra Bit Diamond Plus disc enhancement fluid, a Marigo HD Damper and Walker Audio's TALISMAN disc/speaker demagnetizer.

The Player will NOT recognize lossy codecs like Dolby Digital or DTS but instead will automatically upsample to 64 bit/880x.

And the luxurious titanium remote control will also incorporate a Like(y) button [similar to the one at QQ] which if you gently press it will flash a giant LIKE on your video screen in hot pink fluorescent lighting indicating your approval of content.

And for the first 100 buyers, two FREE tickets at a local amusement park for adult~assisted PONY RIDES! [HEE~HAW]!

And the price. Well, if you need to ask ............

Pre~Ordered

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.........

Last edited:
I think you'd be comparing apples and oranges if you attempted to compare the SONY X800 with the OPPO 205. The OPPO is more geared towards the audiophile market and has lavished more attention to its analogue outputs and power supply.

But if you can purchase an X800 for a secondary system for $158, I would definitely encourage anyone to GO FOR IT.

I have BOTH units and the SONY is a superb performer for those looking for an excellent DVD/BD~V/UH D 4K unit but for a MAIN dedicated listening system.......NO comparison......the 205 is THE champ!

I am also a FIRM believer in quality transports, internal wiring, power supplies, etc. and as the X800 would be a transport outputting HDMI into an outboard DAC, I think all things should be considered..........while the SONY has an all steel construction I'm sure its 'innards' aren't the equivalent of an OPPO so as I mentioned, the SONY would be fine for a secondary system but I wouldn't hedge my bets that you'd be happy with it as your PRIMARY source.

You gets what you pay for! No, NOT always.

Is the Sony X800 able to play 5.1 flacs from the USB using external or thumbdirve?? Anybody know??:unsure:

Back