Who will replace Oppo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not very encouraging words. So we've got a company throwing in the towel and another carrying the flag but apparently between their butt cheeks. Maybe Pioneer will surprise us by taking a step back into the glory years with this upcoming player.

To me it's an easy choice...one has a proven track record...one is hoping it can recapture glory from years ago and has a poor track record in recent years...I'd rather have no warranty on a better product that a warranty on an inferior one...you can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig:)

To me it's an easy choice...one has a proven track record...one is hoping it can recapture glory from years ago and has a poor track record in recent years...I'd rather have no warranty on a better product that a warranty on an inferior one...you can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig:)

Perhaps yes if the better product was selling at full retail rather than 2-1/2 times retail. As I believe you mentioned in an earlier post (maybe on GOS's problem with his 103) do we know if Oppo would service a machine purchased in the aftermarket at a reasonable price...if at all?

Perhaps yes if the better product was selling at full retail rather than 2-1/2 times retail. As I believe you mentioned in an earlier post (maybe on GOS's problem with his 103) do we know if Oppo would service a machine purchased in the aftermarket at a reasonable price...if at all?

Keep in mind that Oppo isn't selling at this higher price...and that it is being done by the market place...not the manufacturer...it's no different that me paying $100 for an out of print surround title like Avalon...that cost about $20 when it was issued...and did I mention that it was used?...it's what the market will bear...and the warranty issue for me means little...manufacture warranties have so many holes in them I could drive a SUV through it...they don't cover power outages and I live in the lightning capital of the US...and some make you pay for shipping...both ways...and how long do these standard warranties last?...one or 2 years....how many times have you used a standard warranty on an electronic device? in my experience over the years...I never once used a standard warranty ...one time I used an extended warranty after 4 and half years...and because they use standard parts in an Oppo...Oppo isn't the only place you can get repairs done on their machines if Oppo isn't available to do the work..

If it was a question of not being able to afford the Oppo at the current prices...then I could understand that...but in your case that seems unlikely...so if it's the fact that you are not willing to pay more than retail...I usually could understand that...but in this case it's a little different...usually there is a viable alternative...at this point...I see none...if you want to buy an elite level DAC...$3,000 will seem like a deal...and even if you found one for less...it won't perform the other functions a 205 does...so then you will be buying yet another machine...or you will keep waiting and waiting for a comparable machine...that's all I can say on the topic...I just hope you find what you want and it serves your needs:)

Last edited:
Pioneer may have at one time produced a remarkable [for its time] Plasma TV and pretty much had the market cornered on Laserdisc but times HAVE changed and for a quarter of the price of the original Pioneer Plasma [$10K], one can buy a FAR better performing OLED TV with the same remarkable inky blacks....if NOT better, than the original Pioneer Plasma.

Yes, the OPPO is an endangered species but throughout the years I have found them to be reliable [I'm on my fifth] with each succeeding model outperforming the previous one.

My $3500 Pioneer ELITE laserdisc player, the beast that it was, proved to be a clunker as it had a short shelf life performance wise.

My advice...BUY an OPPO if you can....because all roads point to the rapid demise of the Universal Player, as we know it, and the longer you procrastinate......... IF You SNOOZE....YOU WILL LOSE!

With respect to the standard parts idea... I'm not sure what that means.

Inside an Oppo player (or basically any disk player) There is a power supply, several circuit boards, a laser mechanism, and a motorized loading drawer. The chassis is not a standard part. The power supply is not a standard part. And the PC boards are not standard parts. Certainly, included on those assemblies are manufactured chips and such that are purchased from other manufacturers and they may be used across many different manufacturers product lines, but the boards themselves are not "standard". They are engineered and designed by Oppo and contracted out to be built by a third party. Servicing a disk player in 2018 means testing and replacing a defective board, since it is just too expensive labor-wise (and talent-wise) to troubleshoot an electrical problem at the component level, even though this was regularly done back in the 70s and 80s. Todays electronics are so much more disposable.

So that leaves the laser mechanism and the motorized drawer. And I can see these items being considered "standard". But then again, they are probably "standard" for a lot of brands in the same way with several manufacturers using the same laser mechanism. Maybe electronic giants like Sony have the ability and financial backing to produce their own "standard" parts, and they may sell them to others or keep them proprietary. Pioneer was at one time the only manufacturer of the disk loading assemblies that had only a slot and no drawer. They appeared in a lot of different products.

I guess there is some logic in thinking that since an Oppo uses off the shelf laser assemblies, and since those assemblies appear in a lot of other brands, they would tend to have higher demand and may be available longer. Sure. I just don't know how different it is from the way other brands manufacture their products.

With respect to the standard parts idea... I'm not sure what that means.

Inside an Oppo player (or basically any disk player) There is a power supply, several circuit boards, a laser mechanism, and a motorized loading drawer. The chassis is not a standard part. The power supply is not a standard part. And the PC boards are not standard parts. Certainly, included on those assemblies are manufactured chips and such that are purchased from other manufacturers and they may be used across many different manufacturers product lines, but the boards themselves are not "standard". They are engineered and designed by Oppo and contracted out to be built by a third party. Servicing a disk player in 2018 means testing and replacing a defective board, since it is just too expensive labor-wise (and talent-wise) to troubleshoot an electrical problem at the component level, even though this was regularly done back in the 70s and 80s. Todays electronics are so much more disposable.

So that leaves the laser mechanism and the motorized drawer. And I can see these items being considered "standard". But then again, they are probably "standard" for a lot of brands in the same way with several manufacturers using the same laser mechanism. Maybe electronic giants like Sony have the ability and financial backing to produce their own "standard" parts, and they may sell them to others or keep them proprietary. Pioneer was at one time the only manufacturer of the disk loading assemblies that had only a slot and no drawer. They appeared in a lot of different products.

I guess there is some logic in thinking that since an Oppo uses off the shelf laser assemblies, and since those assemblies appear in a lot of other brands, they would tend to have higher demand and may be available longer. Sure. I just don't know how different it is from the way other brands manufacture their products.

The general idea was that the Oppo company isn't the only entity in the world that could repair an Oppo.....I'm way too involved in this to go any further...if people are afraid to buy a product from a company going out of business...there is nothing I can do or say to convince them to reconsider...I'm done

The general idea was that the Oppo company isn't the only entity in the world that could repair an Oppo.....I'm way too involved in this to go any further...if people are afraid to buy a product from a company going out of business...there is nothing I can do or say to convince them to reconsider...I'm done

You've done enough, CLINTY. Posters who put off buying OPPOs 203/205 when they were realistically priced at $599/1299 surely aren't going to pay Ebay OOP prices for them. It's THEIR BAD!

Just enjoy YOURS as I will MINE!

Yeah, safely and properly storing computer files can be expensive.
To play Devil's advocate, what would the proper kind of server/NAS/etc. cost? I'm assuming it would need to run RAID.
Or do some people just use a bunch of thumb drives or what?

You need a small PC, a NAS box and the drives to load into it. A new NUC mini PC goes for about $350 by the time you get an SS drive and memory installed. That is for an fairly high performance i5 processor. A lessor processor will cost about $100 less.

A 4 bay NAS is another $300-$350. Drive price depends on size. I have two 4TB drives in my NAS right now (I can add 2 additional drives in the future). They run in a mirrored configuration and provide 4TB of storage. That's my whole collection, surround and stereo, and the drives are barely 2/3 full. The drives go for about $150 each.

The media player software is free for Kodi or Foobar, and under $50 if you need to run JRiver. That totals up to about $1000 complete for the media player.

Maybe toss in another $75 or so for a blue ray burner you can use to rip disks: DVD, CD, Blueray, DTS-CD... anything but SACD. And another $150 for a player like a Pioneer FD-80 so you can play video and rip your SACDs. Or keep you 103 for that purpose.

The total is easily less than the original asking price of an Oppo 205, and it can be considerably less if one chooses to forgo the NAS box and use portable drives instead. I recently bought a new Synology router that I can plug USB drives into directly without the need for a separate NAS box (but I already had the NAS).

I feel like I pissed you off. That was certainly not my intent, I was really just looking for an explanation of your take on the "standard parts" thing. So now I do understand your point... You don't need Oppo (the company) to have your Oppo (the player) fixed. I agree, But that may well be the case for other brands as well.

Im not sure why you might feel a need to convince anyone of anything. You just try to get your points across and let everyone decide for themselves. Help them if you can by pointing out things they might be incorrect on or maybe they didn't think of.

Obviously, trying to convince me of anything is a non starter. I gave up on playing physical disks some time ago, Oppo closing up shop did nothing for me except confirm what I already knew was coming. I was surprised it happened so fast however.

So I also am done debating this. I like you and your posts too much to inflame this issue any more.

I feel like I pissed you off. That was certainly not my intent, I was really just looking for an explanation of your take on the "standard parts" thing. So now I do understand your point... You don't need Oppo (the company) to have your Oppo (the player) fixed. I agree, But that may well be the case for other brands as well.

Im not sure why you might feel a need to convince anyone of anything. You just try to get your points across and let everyone decide for themselves. Help them if you can by pointing out things they might be incorrect on or maybe they didn't think of.

Obviously, trying to convince me of anything is a non starter. I gave up on playing physical disks some time ago, Oppo closing up shop did nothing for me except confirm what I already knew was coming. I was surprised it happened so fast however.

So I also am done debating this. I like you and your posts too much to inflame this issue any more.

I don't think you pissed off anyone. As always to each their own. We ALL are aware physical discs and players will one day be remnants of the past just like trying to convince Turntable Lovers that vinyl 'should've' been extinct long ago.

I suppose those of us who are NOT computer savvy are reluctant to take the plunge [myself included] but when the time does come, we'll have NO choice but to educate ourselves on its use.

Until then..........I have a HUGE fortune invested in high end disc players and if I were to currently sell them on the internet I'd probably get 5 cents on the dollar.........NOT worth it to me!

Last edited:

Wait a minute...this is the classic internet misunderstanding...I'm not angry at all:)...I just really have no dog in this fight(or discussion)as I have 2 Oppo's and that should last me long enough...seriously not angry at all(y)

I can see both sides now to this issue...

9835EB07-ED56-404C-BBD0-D718B46A578E.png

...but I’ll be damned if I could remember what those were. :unsure:

Why Should I....as IF computers aren't FINICKY?

Just as YOU LUV your QUAD, I LOVE [L O V E] my DISCS!:love:
I second that scream.

I really like the convenience of having music on a hard drive but don’t like the expense and time to get it there, properly, the way I want it. Listening to music through a streaming service like Tidal is convenient. Lately, I’ve been having the, “I want something tangible that I can touch”, feeling again. The other side of that, I have a lot of CD’s sitting in storage but just don’t have the room to store them in my latest place of dwelling. I guess, it’s time to move to a bigger place! :LOL:

Last edited:
I wish there was something like Spotify Premium for high-resolution on-demand streaming that included multichannel sound. I would subscribe to it. There would be a lot of value in something like that for me and probably many others on this forum as well...certainly a lot more value than crap loaded cable TV. But with a bitrate of only 320kbps we ain't gonna get hi-res.

I wish there was something like Spotify Premium for high-resolution on-demand streaming that included multichannel sound. I would subscribe to it. There would be a lot of value in something like that for me and probably many others on this forum as well...certainly a lot more value than crap loaded cable TV. But with a bitrate of only 320kbps we ain't gonna get hi-res.

I'm sure in time, all that will change but whether Multichannel becomes a priority is anyone's guess.

As I've stated, even those who are currently NOT downloading realize the writing's on the wall and we'll have no recourse but to acquiesce or play our older collection of RBCDs, SACDs, BD~As forever...and forever is a LONG, LONG time!

Back