Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Vices” should have been a DVD-A back 15 years ago, just as big an album as Capt was really.
Was it, at the time? It's my favorite Doobies album (after hearing the excellent MoFi SACD; used to be Stampede), but in modern times, I don't think it's as popular an album as Captain. After all, it contains both "China Grove" and "Long Train Runnin'," probably the two most enduring pre-McDonald Doobies songs if classic rock radio is anything to go by, followed by "Listen To The Music" from Toulouse Street and then "Black Water."

Was it, at the time? It's my favorite Doobies album (after hearing the excellent MoFi SACD; used to be Stampede), but in modern times, I don't think it's as popular an album as Captain. After all, it contains both "China Grove" and "Long Train Runnin'," probably the two most enduring pre-McDonald Doobies songs if classic rock radio is anything to go by, followed by "Listen To The Music" from Toulouse Street and then "Black Water."
I just looked, both albums are double platinum, but Vices charted a bit higher, plus it charted in Aust. and in the U.K. which Captain did not.

Capt has the radio hits, more of them, Vices did a bit better as an album I believe. But when you are taking this kind of long term sales and radio play, what’s a hundred thousand copies one way or the other. They are both very big albums.

“Black Water” is the standout “quadraphonic demo” track for sure.

I saw the Doobies in 1973, and then again in 1975.

Both shows were good, but I was less a fan of Stampede, not caring much for the hit “Take Me in Your Arms”. I liked the ‘73 show better.

That summer I went to live with other parent in another state. This Doobies show and a Yes concert (Relayer tour), marked the end of my “fun” years of running the streets until 3 or 4 am and basically doing whatever I wanted - to settling in a much more strict environment. But the concerts did not cease (see link in signature) at all. And I made it work out ok in-spite of missing Zep & Stones Tours in that wonderful summer of 1975. Oh and I caught one more show )before going to prison with other parents), Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show on the “Bankrupt” tour. They were much more serious this time around and the musicianship was ratcheted up a full notch.

I did notice at about this time how many quadraphonic albums were appearing for sale. Odyssey Records (open 24 hours a day) on the LV Strip had a nice section bursting with quad, the first time I saw Paranoid and Machine Head CD-4 LPs.

I have a couple of shows from Seattle mid 70s. Audience but not bad SQ. The band really rocked driven by the insane guitar of the Skunk and some fine steel work as well.

This is going back to Sept of '16 but I think the Doobie Bros. Quadio box project has been shelved. I heard about that possibly being released a few years ago as posted back in '16 but nothing has come about it. And on the prices of 4.0 SACD's from AF, they're outrageous now for the OOP albums. You can still download some on Acoustic Sounds website cheaper but they're limited. I was hoping to find BW&T's Greatest Hits which I never got around to buying but isn't available for download. Lucky I got what I could in 2015 before AF went under.

As just read about the Quadio Box being delayed and that's actually what I meant. Sorry to be so negative about things but some of the Quad's I wish I could see released haven't when others by the same artist have. It's also sad to see that lately Dutton has only been releasing mostly elevator music which is also frustrating to see. Art Garfunkel but no Paul Simon. Frustrating. Sorry to drift off topic.

I just read about the Quadio Box being delayed and that's actually what I meant. Sorry to be so negative about things but some of the Quad's I wish I could see released haven't when others by the same artist have. It's also sad to see that lately Dutton has only been releasing mostly elevator music which is also frustrating to see. Art Garfunkel but no Paul Simon ? Frustrating. Sorry to drift off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back