Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because we all like each other. :QQlove

I was going to say that....it's hard to NOT be spontaneous with some many alpha dogs in the pound:danceit's all Snood's fault...those bananas need to roam...uh oh...I just posted another off topic....well what I was about to say is I can't wait for that Doobies release...and have I mentioned lately that ForagingRhino is awesome....and since there is no dedicated thread for this...let me just say THANK YOU for getting Elliot Scheiner to work on the Acoustic 70's 3 CD set...it is excellent

So who did the quad mixes of each of the Doobies albums?

there aren't any specific Quad remixing credits on the Quadradisc sleeves, only The Captain & Me CD-4 LP makes any kind of mention when it says; "Re-mixed for quadraphonic sound at Warner Bros Recording Studios, N.Hollywood"

maybe the Rhino guys will check the tape boxes or something and give out that kind of info when the Quadio set's released?

there aren't any specific Quad remixing credits on the Quadradisc sleeves, only The Captain & Me CD-4 LP makes any kind of mention when it says; "Re-mixed for quadraphonic sound at Warner Bros Recording Studios, N.Hollywood"

maybe the Rhino guys will check the tape boxes or something and give out that kind of info when the Quadio set's released?

I think Warner Brothers did that a lot during that time period...and giving people titles that were "catch all" jobs...calling them an engineer might include a lot of duties....it might have been Donn Landee...he did a lot of work for Warner Brothers and was involved.... in some aspect... in over 200 projects..just saying..

I think Warner Brothers did that a lot during that time period...and giving people titles that were "catch all" jobs...calling them an engineer might include a lot of duties....it might have been Donn Landee...he did a lot of work for Warner Brothers and was involved.... in some aspect... in over 200 projects..just saying..

could well be!
interestingly, Lee Herschberg (who worked on the Doobies albums with Donn Landee) is credited with engineering and mixing the James Taylor "Gorilla" album but not specified as remixing into Quad on the CD-4 sleeve, so maybe for albums Herschberg engineered it was automatic that he did the Quads?

that said, there are quite a few WEA CD-4's that handily give Quad remix credits, off the top of my head ones that stick out are Tom Dowd who was credited as doing quite a few of the early Atlantic Quads among others, incl the Aretha's, Clapton's and the excellent Bette Midler & Donny Hathaway Quads.. Les Paul's son did a few good ones including AWB..Thom Bell & Don Murray did the fabulous Spinners mixes (Murray did the cracking O'Jays "Ship Ahoy" Quad mix!)

In what is probably some kind of tie-in for the upcoming Quadio box set, the Doobie Brothers have just announced that they will be playing "Toulouse Street" and "The Captain & Me" in full over two nights at the Beacon Theatre in NYC this November. :)

37212730_2044074712270896_4426246115318300672_o.jpg

In what is probably some kind of tie-in for the upcoming Quadio box set, the Doobie Brothers have just announced that they will be playing "Toulouse Street" and "The Captain & Me" in full over two nights at the Beacon Theatre in NYC this November. :)

37212730_2044074712270896_4426246115318300672_o.jpg
well.. they have nothing..'to lose' by doing that... :p

The last time I asked, which was not that long ago, and really, I don't want to be a pain in the ass so I don't ask very often (actually, it was just that one time), the answer I got was "Soon".

So hang in there, it will come eventually. Hopefully they're too busy making deals with D-V! :)

I CAN NOT wait for this release!!!! Looking forward to this more than the White Album... the Chicago Quadio was the best surround release ever, and this will be right up there... stop bogarting those Doobies, Rhino!!

You are so right. I have since converted a few of the Chicago Quadio's to 24/48 .flac for my car, and these things sound tremendous in the car. Way better than most quad conversions no matter what the source. Since they don't use the center or sub, it's understandable when a quad source doesn't pack quite the punch that a 5.1 source would, but these Quadio's are lacking nothing. They have punch, they have detail, they have deep bass, and they sound terrific.

I know it's presumptuous, but I would have to expect the Doobies Quadio's should sound just as good as the Chicago's do.

I’ve always felt that a Doobie Brothers set was the next logical choice to follow on from Chicago, so Rhino may have already been thinking about such a set anyway, but I still can’t help but think that we helped to influence this upcoming release in our own way.
We definitely expressed our enthusiasm for such a release many times over the last 2+ years, and now, we’re finally gonna get what we have asked for!
Now we all need to step up to the plate and buy this release!
The future of Quadio depends on it! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back