Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
let us hope they thoroughly test the discs before release, unlike the mess they made of quadio

Ok, c’mon now, let’s be a little more fair, ok?
That box set had 9 discs in it, and one side of one album was accidentally in mono, even though there were no errors with the Quadraphonic mixes on any of the discs.
Was it a mistake? Yes, but did they fix it? Yes, so as far as I’m concerned, let’s trust that they will make sure that does not happen again.

:)

Yup.
The world has gone Blu!

That’s good to know.
I was really disappointed with the fidelity on the “Fleetwood Mac” Dolby Digital DVD (“Tusk” and “Mirage” were fine.)
However, the Rhino Blu-Ray releases (especially the Chicago box set) have been beyond exceptional, so I’m glad the same care will be given to this Doobies box set.
I’ve got my credit card at the ready!

Ok, c’mon now, let’s be a little more fair, ok?
That box set had 9 discs in it, and one side of one album was accidentally in mono, even though there were no errors with the Quadraphonic mixes on any of the discs.
Was it a mistake? Yes, but did they fix it? Yes, so as far as I’m concerned, let’s trust that they will make sure that does not happen again.

two discs

at the price such errors are not to be expected. especially them being so obvious

two discs

at the price such errors are not to be expected. especially them being so obvious

"at the price"?? That was the most cost worthy box set ever released (9 albums, 4 doubles, on BluRay no less), IMHO, and as far as I am concerned, the QUADIO discs were PERFECT. I will never, and I mean NEVER, attempt to play the stereo tracks. After all, the box was called "QUADIO", not "STEREO". The fact that they took the time and money to actually fix the discs says all I have to hear about it. EVER. :cool:

"at the price"?? That was the most cost worthy box set ever released (9 albums, 4 doubles, on BluRay no less), IMHO, and as far as I am concerned, the QUADIO discs were PERFECT. I will never, and I mean NEVER, attempt to play the stereo tracks. After all, the box was called "QUADIO", not "STEREO". The fact that they took the time and money to actually fix the discs says all I have to hear about it. EVER.
Not only that, but Rhino's customer service was awesome. All I did was forward Dr. Rhino the email invoice of my purchase and they sent me both replacement Blu-rays as soon as they were available.
I didn't even know two discs had mistakes and only asked for one in my email, but they sent both. I am 100% pleased with Quadio and very grateful Rhino put it out. I'm very excited about a Doobie Bros. box and any other box Rhino wants to put together in hi-res.

Might an America Quadio release be in the future? James Taylor Quadio?

Since there’s only two released Quadraphonic mixes for each artist, if no more mixes are in the vaults, then I don’t think there can really be a Quadio box set for either artist.
However, they can always throw in the Quad mix with any deluxe edition that they release.

Since there’s only two released Quadraphonic mixes for each artist, if no more mixes are in the vaults, then I don’t think there can really be a Quadio box set for either artist.
However, they can always throw in the Quad mix with any deluxe edition that they release.

It'd be too cool if they can dig up the unreleased quad of Sweet Baby James, but 3 mixes still isn't really enough for a box.

The only other Warner artist I can think of that would work with this box set approach is Carly Simon. S/T, No Secrets, Hotcakes, Playing Possum, and The Best Of were all released in quad and Another Passenger appears on many unreleased lists.

The Eagles might work too if their debut and Desperado were actually mixed to quad (please let it be true).

Just throwing some ideas out there...

Psyched for the Doobies! "Black Water" is absolutely breathtaking in quad.

Last edited:
i just made a statement get over it
Guys guys guys -
Now is a time for gratitude, not so much attitude. If any business makes a mistake and stands ready to make it right, what is the purpose in dwelling on the negative? I am so happy that these and the Chicago mixes are receiving official digital release in high resolution. My thanks go out to anyone who is involved in the process. This set is destined to bring joy to me and the members of this forum. I offer nothing but encouragement for Rhino and hope they keep seeking out great quad mixes for us to enjoy. As my folks used to say in the station wagon: "Keep it fun!"

Is Quadio strictly box sets? I've heard a lot of people mention Aretha's GH.

It'd be too cool if they can dig up the unreleased quad of Sweet Baby James, but 3 mixes still isn't really enough for a box.

The only other Warner artist I can think of that would work with this box set approach is Carly Simon. S/T, No Secrets, Hotcakes, Playing Possum, and The Best Of were all released in quad and Another Passenger appears on many unreleased lists.

The Eagles might work too if their debut and Desperado were actually mixed to quad (please let it be true).

Just throwing some ideas out there...

Psyched for the Doobies! "Black Water" is absolutely breathtaking in quad.

There have been various rumors over the years of unreleased Joni Mitchell quads (beyond Court and Spark and Hissing of Summer Lawns). Would love to see Dr. Rhino dig through the vaults again with those in mind...

Is Quadio strictly box sets? I've heard a lot of people mention Aretha's GH.

“The Best of Aretha Franklin” Quadio DVD was a Rhino release from 2010, but their main release strategy now appears to be dedicated Quadio box sets, first from Chicago and now from the Doobie Brothers.
The recent exception is the Doors’ singles release which had the Best of the Doors Quadraphonic release on Blu-Ray, so that’s why I think we could still get some other WEA Quadraphonic mixes as part of deluxe edition releases.

For example, this year is the 45th anniversary of “Tres Hombres” (ZZ Top) and “Billion Dollar Babies” (Alice Cooper).
Since neither artist has enough Quadraphonic mixes for a dedicated Quadio box set, maybe Rhino will reissue those Quadraphonic mixes as part of an anniversary deluxe edition.

Hey, we dreamed about a Doobie Brothers Quadio box set, so I say, let the dreaming continue!

"at the price"?? That was the most cost worthy box set ever released (9 albums, 4 doubles, on BluRay no less), IMHO, and as far as I am concerned, the QUADIO discs were PERFECT. I will never, and I mean NEVER, attempt to play the stereo tracks. After all, the box was called "QUADIO", not "STEREO". The fact that they took the time and money to actually fix the discs says all I have to hear about it. EVER. :cool:
Me too, I haven't even asked for replacement discs, I only want to listen to the Quad mixes

There have been various rumors over the years of unreleased Joni Mitchell quads (beyond Court and Spark and Hissing of Summer Lawns). Would love to see Dr. Rhino dig through the vaults again with those in mind...
I'd buy just those two, one of my all time favourite albums is Hissing of Summer Lawns and it was seeing those and the Doobies on CD4 that really sparked my interest in all things Quad, even though I couldn't afford to do anything other than SQ. But now I can afford to indulge in all things Quad/5.1, so time for a :SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back