Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been various rumors over the years of unreleased Joni Mitchell quads (beyond Court and Spark and Hissing of Summer Lawns). Would love to see Dr. Rhino dig through the vaults again with those in mind...

I remember seeing Blue, Heijra, and Ladies Of The Canyon on an old Warner/Rhino upcoming DVD-A list, but I guess those would have been new 5.1 mixes and not quads.

I'll take whatever gems Rhino can find!

Yup.
The world has gone Blu!

You're a godsend, FR. I always liked my idea of releasing a potpourri of various artists on QUAD/5.1 blu ray as a means of 'clearing out the vaults' of all those unreleased QUAD remasters and releasing them in one giant boxset.....why NOT, since they're only collecting dust in those musty vaults. Purchasers who don't like all the enclosed titles can sell them on eBay but it would be a delightful way of finally getting all those titles OUT.

Any feedback on that idea [except the dirty work of getting permission from ALL the artists involved]?

BTW, were any of the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young titles EVER remixed for 5.1 as two of their albums were announced for release on DVD~A back in the early 00's?

“The Best of Aretha Franklin” Quadio DVD was a Rhino release from 2010, but their main release strategy now appears to be dedicated Quadio box sets, first from Chicago and now from the Doobie Brothers.
The recent exception is the Doors’ singles release which had the Best of the Doors Quadraphonic release on Blu-Ray, so that’s why I think we could still get some other WEA Quadraphonic mixes as part of deluxe edition releases.

For example, this year is the 45th anniversary of “Tres Hombres” (ZZ Top) and “Billion Dollar Babies” (Alice Cooper).
Since neither artist has enough Quadraphonic mixes for a dedicated Quadio box set, maybe Rhino will reissue those Quadraphonic mixes as part of an anniversary deluxe edition.

Hey, we dreamed about a Doobie Brothers Quadio box set, so I say, let the dreaming continue!

:)
How about two albums on one Blu-Ray?

We haven't seen Rhino go that route yet, so I'm not expecting something like that, but it could happen for a few artists, even though I'm not expecting any more Blu-Ray only box sets after this one. I'm expecting almost every other release to be some sort of CD/Blu-Ray combo set.

Maybe Rhino could put together some "Give Me Strength"-style releases (like Universal did for the '74-'75 period of Eric Clapton's career) where they would package together a few albums from a certain period in an artist's career with remastered CDs, unreleased studio & live material, and finally the Quadraphonic mixes (and other stuff) on Blu-Ray.
They could certainly do that for America (the "Holiday" and "Hearts" period) and Alice Cooper (the "Billion Dollar Babies" and "Muscle of Love" period) but realistically, I'm expecting more single album deluxe editions with the Quadraphonic mixes included where available.

Snood Thinx a double Eagles Quad release would be nice - think there were 2 quads 8 tracks??? and then Hotel Cali

On The Border - One Of These Nights - would sell out big time!!!! Snood would buy 2 :LBOne for Snood and the other for Snood :p

But Snood no wanna get greedy and am very grateful for the bountiful blessings Rhino has presented us with and makes Snood wanna do this ......:SB:SB:SB

BTW just saying.........when Snood joined this place late 2013 with what Snood thought was some kind of magical Better Than Ezra 5.1 CD :unsure: that me could stick in any CD player and get 5.1, only to see must have DVD-A player to play (at all) and luckily my POS (Piece of Sheeeeeeet) LG player was such.....stuck that sucker in and went o_O :love:.....found this place right after to figure out WTF was going on and how did Snood miss this? Found out most everything surround was like released early 2000s plus.........there was a void of recent releases.........that is until you know who joined QQ :SB:SB:SB:SB:LB:LB:LB:LB.........coincidence??? Me thinx not and you are all welcome :love:

Snood filled that void, Snood is a void filler, that what Snood do :rolleyes:

No Ban Snoooooooooood - dammit where me couch??

I'd be happy with that if the bitrate wasn't reduced to cram them in (not that they would, but y'know - just sayin').

It'd keep production and packaging costs down, not to mention reduce storage space at our respective hi-fi enclosures (houses).

I'd be happy with that if the bitrate wasn't reduced to cram them in. It'd keep production and packaging costs down, not to mention reduce storage space at our respective hi-fi enclosures (houses).
I don't think it's even a stretch to fit three or four quad mixes in DTS-MA on one disc. A single layer Blu-Ray is 25 gig. The Moondance Blu-Ray is about six gig. Two of the Petty ones are under 4 gig, and those are 5.1.

I don't think it's even a stretch to fit three or four quad mixes in DTS-MA on one disc. A single layer Blu-Ray is 25 gig. The Moondance Blu-Ray is about six gig. Two of the Petty ones are under 4 gig, and those are 5.1.

I'd be happy with that too. Especially if they used both layers on the BD (50Gb total). It'd make for an expensive 1-disc set with royalties, etc, but it's an efficient way to do it and I'd pay.

You could probably fit some artist's entire discographies on one 4K disc with the multiple layers available. Hope they don't do that yet though until I've done the 4K upgrade!

Hmmmm... I have a quad version of it in DTS I got from someone who does conversions. I'll have to listen carefully to make sure it's not a fake quad but even if, it sounds really good!

I have it too.
It's fake.

Yes, it does sound pretty good.

I have never read or heard any rumor nor found any evidence of a quad mix for TITTS.
Considering Warner made one of the format's earliest exits in mid-1975, it is not even remotely likely.
I would say there is virtually no chance one exists.

However, a 5.1 Minute by Minute is a remote possibility.
Still doubtful, as I woukd likely have heard or read something about it.

Considering Warner made one of the format's earliest exits in mid-1975, it is not even remotely likely.
I would say there is virtually no chance one exists.

The recent Tull sets have shown that Warner commissioned quad mixes of Too Old To Rock & Roll and Songs From The Wood after 1975. Those could just be anomalies I guess...

I appreciate ForagingRhino taking the time to look (which couldn't have been easy) and I believe him if he says there are no unreleased Doobies quads.

The recent Tull sets have shown that Warner commissioned quad mixes of Too Old To Rock & Roll and Songs From The Wood after 1975

Those are not quad mixes -- they're brand new 5.1.
Minstrel in the Gallery, however, *is* from the unreleased quad mix, which was already known to exist.
I posted years ago that a CD-4 test pressing surfaced in 1980.

Minstrel in the Gallery, however, *is* from the unreleased quad mix, which was already known to exist.

There IS a full Quadraphonic mix on the “Too Old to Rock n Roll” DVD and a partial one on “Songs from the Wood”.

very true!

maybe also worth (somewhat pedantically!) mentioning (though they were all UK releases, like the previously unreleased Tull Quads) there were those late era Warner CD-4 QuadraDisc titles; Deaf School "2nd Honeymoon", Bill Bruford "In Search Of Ancient Gods" & Ralph McTell "This Side Up"

not wanting to detract further from the focus of the conversation but I noticed recently that the Doobies' Takin It To The Streets album 'decodes' in the Surround Master's "Involve" mode extremely well.. so well it does make me wonder if it isn't some kind of stealth QS title.. hmm.. :unsure:

By any chance, Adam, is this a UK pressing? Hmmmm, INDEED!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back