Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not wanting to detract further from the focus of the conversation but I noticed recently that the Doobies' Takin It To The Streets album 'decodes' in the Surround Master's "Involve" mode extremely well.. so well it does make me wonder if it isn't some kind of stealth QS title.. hmm.. :unsure:
Sounds like another CD I need to acquire for the surround master, Adam. :)

They could do them all on one BluRay disc inside of a lovely box with excessive notes and essay. Might keep the production costs down. Just a thought.

I think space wise it fits!

Yes, absolutely!
I second this alternative to four individual, mostly empty, discs.

Last year's ELP box has four surround albums on one BD-A.
As a physical media guy, it's a delight to whip through all of them
without the need to change discs.

Whatever the packaging, thanks Foraging Rhino! :51QQ

(And thanks, Jon, for the ~banana~~wave~ emoji.) :hi

not wanting to detract further from the focus of the conversation but I noticed recently that the Doobies' Takin It To The Streets album 'decodes' in the Surround Master's "Involve" mode extremely well.. so well it does make me wonder if it isn't some kind of stealth QS title.. hmm.. :unsure:

Which disc in particular are you using? The original cd from 1988, or something else?

Yes, absolutely!
I second this alternative to four individual, mostly empty, discs.

Last year's ELP box has four surround albums on one BD-A.
As a physical media guy, it's a delight to whip through all of them
without the need to change discs.
Whatever the packaging, thanks Foraging Rhino! :51QQ

(And thanks, Jon, for the ~banana~~wave~ emoji.) :hi

You're welcome.

I wonder if there is some silly licensing deal that would actually cost the label more to put 4 albums on one disc, as opposed to putting out 4 separate discs in a box set?

The Chicago set was very tempting simply from a competists perspective; but chances are I'd only listen to IX. I'm a casual Chicago fan at best. Dropping big money on that set plus the expense of a player just doesn't flap my paddle. I'm on the fence over the Doobies as well. It's not enough to make me run out and buy more equipment. Which, I might also add, I'm out of inputs on my system - so this purchase would necessitate either MORE equipment for adding additional inputs (and in four-channel, that ain't easy) or dropping one of my vintage pieces altogether.

Like I said, if Rhino announced they'd be releasing a TON of remastered vintage Quad titles; more appropriately, titles that I would be interested in (not long hair stuff like Boulez conducts Bartok)... well, that would definitely help sway my decision.

It is unfortunate being left behind the crowd, but I don't understand why Rhino can't issue them on SACD or DVD-A instead. These are much more popular formats as I'm led to believe.

I'd love to support this. I was on the stick when Rhino Handmade popped out their two discs, I was in like Flint over the Audio Fidelity discs and I've even been on the trolly for the Dutton-Vocalion stuff. But I gotta draw the line somewhere.

The Chicago set was very tempting simply from a competists perspective; but chances are I'd only listen to IX. I'm a casual Chicago fan at best. Dropping big money on that set plus the expense of a player just doesn't flap my paddle. I'm on the fence over the Doobies as well. It's not enough to make me run out and buy more equipment. Which, I might also add, I'm out of inputs on my system - so this purchase would necessitate either MORE equipment for adding additional inputs (and in four-channel, that ain't easy) or dropping one of my vintage pieces altogether.

Like I said, if Rhino announced they'd be releasing a TON of remastered vintage Quad titles; more appropriately, titles that I would be interested in (not long hair stuff like Boulez conducts Bartok)... well, that would definitely help sway my decision.

It is unfortunate being left behind the crowd, but I don't understand why Rhino can't issue them on SACD or DVD-A instead. These are much more popular formats as I'm led to believe.

I'd love to support this. I was on the stick when Rhino Handmade popped out their two discs, I was in like Flint over the Audio Fidelity discs and I've even been on the trolly for the Dutton-Vocalion stuff. But I gotta draw the line somewhere.

Rhino (and Warner) has yet to produce one SACD (please correct me if I'm wrong). The Talking Heads and Björk sets were done as DualDiscs and their other U.S. distributes multichannel titles were all DVD-As (Depeche Mode & Genesis had SACDs+DVD-V combos in Europe, DVD-V only in the U.S.). I truly doubt they'd start releasing SACDs 18 years after everybody else. They's been releasing DVD-Vs and Blu-rays over that last few years and I think we're even lucky that they opt to release Blu-Ray product at all.

This is not because I wouldn't prefer SACDs (I would actually) but it's just that the label has never gone for it.

Rhino (and Warner) has yet to produce one SACD (please correct me if I'm wrong). The Talking Heads and Björk sets were done as DualDiscs and their other U.S. distributes multichannel titles were all DVD-As (Depeche Mode & Genesis had SACDs+DVD-V combos in Europe, DVD-V only in the U.S.). I truly doubt they'd start releasing SACDs 18 years after everybody else. They's been releasing DVD-Vs and Blu-rays over that last few years and I think we're even lucky that they opt to release Blu-Ray product at all.

This is not because I wouldn't prefer SACDs (I would actually) but it's just that the label has never gone for it.

Rhino/Warner Japan have produced a half dozen multichannel SACD reissues of albums formerly released in the DVD~A format [The Nightfly, FM's Rumors, Linda Ronstadt: What's new, etc] example: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-14170?s_ssid=e3d185ac187692f66

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back