Quad LP/Tape Poll Winter, Edgar, Group: They Only Come Out At Night [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "They Only Come Out at Night"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters
several of these are among my all-time favourite Quads!

afaik there are also unreleased Quad mixes of Johnny Winter's Self-titled album and Edgar Winter's White Trash Ft Jerry LaCroix album.

ps. don't forget Edgar's Jasmine Nightdreams was also released in Quad (available on DTS CD) the last three instrumental tracks on that are absolutely mind blowing surround sound imho!

Sharp abservation, with Jasmine Nightdreams that is three more quad masters to include. Most EW and many JW fans were also Rick Derrenger fans as well. So a big quad box with high Rez stereo on BD or SACD is not far fetched. We need Warner / Rhino to get that Doobies set released and that will finally show other labels what the fuss is all about.

Hey. I’ve got Spring Fever, Shock Treatment, and They Only Come Out At Night on deck for remastering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey. I’ve got Spring Fever, Shock Treatment, and They Only Come Out At Night on deck for remastering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all 3 great Quads!

Shock Treatment & TOCOAN mixed by the same engineer iirc (Don Young) one of CBS' main men and my joint favourite Quad remix engineer along with Larry Keyes.. TOCOAN THE Classic Quad its crazy its never been reissued in the years since 1st release, hopefully that will be rectified someday and it'll see a rerelease in discrete MCh fresh from the Quad master.

from past experience with the SQ records of those three, Shock Treatment is kinda bright and bass shy, TOCOAN is a bit grungey and midrange-y.. Spring Fever shouldn't need too much playing around with, the SQ LP sounds great and since i've recently been able to compare Spring Fever Q8 with the SQ, the SQ decodes v.well.. isolating the rears in "Rock" is a hoot with all the synths and effects going on back there.

we don't know the remix engineer of Spring Fever Quad as the SQ gives no credit but i'm guessing based on a pic QQ member steelydave posted here one time circa '75 with Rick Derringer and Larry Keyes at the controls of CBS' Quad mixing console it was Larry assisting the artist himself which would be pretty cool.!

"livin' in new york cityyyyy.. i've got the country in my bones.. i've got those skyscraper blues.. think i've been here way too long" :banana:

To think that AF avoided looking at or considering this title due to the previous SACD release over ten years ago. I think AF made a mistake on staying away from (a few) potentially very hot titles due to a previous SACD or DVD-A issued. Then they do just that for Breezin' and BS&T. If those two can get out on SACD after a previously issued hi-res disc, then this EWG album is a no-brainer.

Let's hope beyond hope that D/V can step up to the plate here and bat an instant home run in the Rock genre. I'll buy two copies no problem.

well I gave my ol' Q8 another listen after too long and it sounded better than it had any right to (and better than my SQ LP! get yer head around that!).. i'm so glad we can now revisit the QQ Polls and amend our old votes because that's what i'm going to do right now, this gem goes up from a "nearly there 9" to a "perfect 10". :love:

well I gave my ol' Q8 another listen after too long and it sounded better than it had any right to (and better than my SQ LP! get yer head around that!).. i'm so glad we can now revisit the QQ Polls and amend our old votes because that's what i'm going to do right now, this gem goes up from a "nearly there 9" to a "perfect 10". :love:

I do love this one to death, but unfortunately it's another one of those great old quad mixes that I just can't seem to find a good-sounding copy of. My Q8 seems oversaturated in comparison to other tapes (and it has some annoying dropouts), while the SQ LP has this odd midrangey sound. I prefer the Q8, but compared to the sound I've gotten out of other carts it's a little disappointing.

The mix and music are absolutely phenomenal! I'm still holding out for an SACD...

Edgar Winter - They Only Come Out At Night.jpeg

Back