Would/Should Netflix Stream Surround Audio-Only Content?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I attended the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest seminar entitled “Multichannel Music: The Promise” yesterday. It was moderated by Andrew Quint, who addressed questions to Brian Moura & Kal Rubinson. It was a very interesting discussion, and video of the talk will be posted at a later date. Thanks to Andrew, Brian & Kal for putting it together!

In the course of the discussion someone brought up the idea of streaming multichannel audio content, and another participant made the point that Netflix had needed to spend considerable money on infrastructure in order to get where they are today, so it would be hard for another provider to come along and do the same. It occurred to me that Netflix already streams 5.1 content in the form of soundtracks to movies and TV shows in 5.1, so why not ping them to see if they might offer surround content of audio only entertainment?

This would be a new market for them, but even if it is small it is unlikely they would need to invest in new hardware to deliver the content. I threw out the idea, and it seemed to draw some interest.

So four questions:

1. Would there be any reason to not encourage corporate streaming? I presume they compress their content to save on bandwidth. Any comments on that?

2. Would the option of streaming tend to boost the hobby, or diminish it. I am mostly referring to gaining more supporters, but feel free to expand on the idea.

3. Would anyone here want to get streaming content from such a provider? It would not necessarily have to be Netflix.

4. If Netflix, does anyone here have contacts in that organization where the topic could be broached? If not Netflix, who? Amazon?

I wonder if what sounds like a good idea would end up being the final nail in sales of physical media, which I still like. On the other hand, if rare titles were easily available via streaming, maybe the costs of out of print physical media would come down.

It also seems possible that content delivered via HDMI might not come out as truly discrete, or at least might require internal amp adjustment to do so. If this is so, it might misrepresent surround content to the average consumer, which would not help our cause.

I would love to hear your ideas on this topic.

I have often wondered if the cable tv services might provide a surround music channel. I have cable through Comcast. All the major channels broadcast in 5.1 surround. (Last night's Walking Dead season premier actually had some cool stuff happening in surround with its soundtrack music.) Comcast also has 100 channels of music-only content. (No video on these channels other than artist bio & photo on screen.) Could they not dedicate one of their music channels to an all surround sound format? It could be a pretty cool idea.

Its a really interesting topic.

I have Sky satellite TV, I can store the content on the HDD in the box, if I stop paying I can't watch what I have. I pay monthly.

Once I have bought a physical disc or downloaded a FLAC I can play it when ever I want. So its a one off cost.

I listen to DAB radio, and internet radio and hear new music, which if I like I go and purchase.

With streaming you have to pay, usually monthly.

I also think that streaming is the modern equivalent of home taping (i.e. it is killing music), the music is cheap, and the streaming company makes the profit. I don't think it helps artists unless they are well known already. But, it suits a lot of people who see music as a commodity.

I had lots of friends in the 70s who wouldn't buy an LP, then waited for somebody to get it, borrowed it and taped it, some friends at Uni had nothing but home recorded cassettes for their music collection, they'd never bought an LP!

So for me the availability of surround FLACs to purchase is what I would want rather than streaming, if the two were offered together so the option to purchase and download, then I might well be interested.

So for me the availability of surround FLACs to purchase is what I would want rather than streaming, if the two were offered together so the option to purchase and download, then I might well be interested.
From the viewpoint of your average collector of surround recordings, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t subscribe to such a service as I already own more music than I can possibly listen to, but it might be a great way of getting new “surround recruits”!
I like the combination of "trying" (via streaming) to enable the possibility of "buying" (via download).

I have something of a trade-off with Netflix. If I use the native software of my Denon Universal player, I get great 5.1 sound through HDMI direct to receiver from the player's ethernet connection. However, the streaming video is not as high a quality as Netflix through my TV cable, even though the ethernet is supposedly 4k.

My TV, on the other hand, has a fantastic 4k picture from its HDMI cable connection, but the sound through the optical connection to my receiver is not as discrete as the player.

So, do I have great sound and ok picture, or fantastic picture and ok sound?

1st world problem, I know. I do notice that while the initial picture through the player does not digitize very well, after a while it comes up closer to the cable video.

Back to the thread: Netflix through my Universal player would sound fantastic if audio only! I somehow doubt it would be delivered without some graphics, though.

Last edited:
Wow an Audio fest in the Rocky Mountains! Sounds pretty neat well done guys...

I think with surround sound I would need to have a copy, but I transfer all my stuff digitally anyway so happy to download MCH Flac files I purchase. I wouldn't want to lose content if I didn't fulfil the monthly fee. In reference to point number 4, I could actually see Amazon jumping on board more then Netflix, or Tidal possibly as well.

Amazon are in the hardware game with the echo and it could be an avenue to get people to buy more linked hardware... Echo x4 playing quad?! They sell and stream music already as well as the physical stuff that a lot of us our buying. They would already have an idea on the numbers with their data banks. They're looking to branching out into new markets - streaming live sports (US tennis and English Football)... And they're a trillion $ company now so it would be peanuts for them to try...

I don't think it will happen though... :rolleyes: But I'd be very happy if it did. Someone needs to get a demo playlist to Jeff Bezos. Imagine if you had access to every quad/surround release at the click of a button?! o_O

Wow an Audio fest in the Rocky Mountains! Sounds pretty neat well done guys...

I think with surround sound I would need to have a copy, but I transfer all my stuff digitally anyway so happy to download MCH Flac files I purchase. I wouldn't want to lose content if I didn't fulfil the monthly fee. In reference to point number 4, I could actually see Amazon jumping on board more then Netflix, or Tidal possibly as well.

Amazon are in the hardware game with the echo and it could be an avenue to get people to buy more linked hardware... Echo x4 playing quad?! They sell and stream music already as well as the physical stuff that a lot of us our buying. They would already have an idea on the numbers with their data banks. They're looking to branching out into new markets - streaming live sports (US tennis and English Football)... And they're a trillion $ company now so it would be peanuts for them to try...

I don't think it will happen though... :rolleyes: But I'd be very happy if it did. Someone needs to get a demo playlist to Jeff Bezos. Imagine if you had access to every quad/surround release at the click of a button?! o_O

Well, Master Smithers, you'll be happy to know that Jeff Bezos has finally agreed to pay his help a minimum wage of $15 an hour ...... which if you read between the lines means ........ the consumers will be paying more for their goods and services from Amazon.

You get nothing for nothing, mate. But happy the workers are getting compensated with a livable wage for their hard work.

I attended the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest seminar entitled “Multichannel Music: The Promise” yesterday. It was moderated by Andrew Quint, who addressed questions to Brian Moura & Kal Rubinson. It was a very interesting discussion, and video of the talk will be posted at a later date. Thanks to Andrew, Brian & Kal for putting it together!

In the course of the discussion someone brought up the idea of streaming multichannel audio content, and another participant made the point that Netflix had needed to spend considerable money on infrastructure in order to get where they are today, so it would be hard for another provider to come along and do the same. It occurred to me that Netflix already streams 5.1 content in the form of soundtracks to movies and TV shows in 5.1, so why not ping them to see if they might offer surround content of audio only entertainment?

This would be a new market for them, but even if it is small it is unlikely they would need to invest in new hardware to deliver the content. I threw out the idea, and it seemed to draw some interest.

So four questions:

1. Would there be any reason to not encourage corporate streaming? I presume they compress their content to save on bandwidth. Any comments on that?

2. Would the option of streaming tend to boost the hobby, or diminish it. I am mostly referring to gaining more supporters, but feel free to expand on the idea.

3. Would anyone here want to get streaming content from such a provider? It would not necessarily have to be Netflix.

4. If Netflix, does anyone here have contacts in that organization where the topic could be broached? If not Netflix, who? Amazon?

I wonder if what sounds like a good idea would end up being the final nail in sales of physical media, which I still like. On the other hand, if rare titles were easily available via streaming, maybe the costs of out of print physical media would come down.

It also seems possible that content delivered via HDMI might not come out as truly discrete, or at least might require internal amp adjustment to do so. If this is so, it might misrepresent surround content to the average consumer, which would not help our cause.

I would love to hear your ideas on this topic.

Co~o.. haber invitao, noooo? (oops sorry.. my brain drifts into Spanish sometimes)

1- Maybe
2-if we can listen to something that we can get a disc for , yes.. if not..not really (for me, I am old school.. I want my DISC!)
3-yeah, why not?
4- NF is not bad and anyone can set a host professionally nowadays..NF did earn points from me if only because they "rescued" El Ministerio Del Tiempo...but that's besides the point...

I've been thinking about this a lot. I'm quite interested and if anyone has any contacts at Netflix or Amazon Ill give it a shot. The issue would be legal, it seems. Getting a short term license agreement from labels to stream.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I asked this about a year ago and we discussed it a bit: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...tton-vocalion-december-2017.24125/post-354213

Short version - it seems like an easy win for everyone for Netflix to stream audio content.

Sorry I missed your idea a year ago. It was a good Random Thought. My hope would be that a streaming service would be a vehicle for discovery of surround, but if the unintended consequence is to kill physical media, then I would oppose the idea.

Sorry I missed your idea a year ago. It was a good Random Thought. My hope would be that a streaming service would be a vehicle for discovery of surround, but if the unintended consequence is to kill physical media, then I would oppose the idea.
I wouldn't care if downloads replaced physical media since, particularly for multichannel, that seems to be happening anyway.

I wouldn't care if downloads replaced physical media since, particularly for multichannel, that seems to be happening anyway.

I actually have not seen that. In the six years I have been posting here, there have only been three artists I wanted material from who have not provided a physical media option, and one of them sold ISO files so you can burn physical media easily if you choose.

As for streaming sites, Netflix is an obvious option, as is Amazon. Google also does video streaming with surround audio I believe.

One other interesting option is Vudu - they mostly do paid-for titles, but the quality is the best of all of them, including Dolby Atmos audio (not at the bitrate of a disc, but still).

Another that would be even more obvious, but reach fewer people, would be Qello (focused on live music video and documentaries).

I suspect that the pop music albums everyone wants wouldn't come easily. On the other hand, I suspect a classical label like BIS would jump at the chance to participate in such an experiment.

I actually have not seen that. In the six years I have been posting here, there have only been three artists I wanted material from who have not provided a physical media option, and one of them sold ISO files so you can burn physical media easily if you choose.
We must listen to different stuff. OTOH, I was not arguing for the extinction of physical media; just saying that it would not effect me.

Back