• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: Q8 Tapes and possibly Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tpapp54321

Since Q8 seems to be one of the cheaper quad formats I’d like to expand my collection of Q8 8 Track tapes. I don’t have a super huge budget, so nothing super rare or extravagant. I like Rock and Pop the most but I’m quite open to easy listening and soundtracks as I know these tend to be the cheapest.

If you have any Q4 tapes you’d be willing to let go for a reasonable price let me know as well, although from what I’ve seen these seem to go for quite a bit of $$$

Good luck, it's a dog eat dog world out there. Let me share a tip.

If you have time, trudge through the eBay listings for tapes that are being sold as TAPES, not QUAD TAPES. It will take time but in many cases it pays off as people will be selling things they know nothing about. Many a rare quad reel or Q8 has sold on eBay for a unreal low price because the seller posted Black Sabbath Paranoid reel, but the only thing was the picture of the reel showed it was a quad reel! (This is an example, not reality)

A lot of times a sale of "50 8 Tracks" might have a few (or a lot) of quad 8's in there as well.

Takes time but it might be the best way to deal with this when you don't have the big bucks to spend.

Just a complement to Jon's words of wisdom.
Do a search on ebay for quad 8 track tapes and learn well how they looks, front spine and back; this make it a lot easier to spot one or two worthy tapes in a bunch of 24 with faux leather case included (how many of these cases had been sold in the USA? Twozillion???) or in a pile of 75 carts.
Second tip, especially useful if you're finding something good in another country: ask the seller to ship only the tape that instrest you and dump the others, you can save a lot on shipping cost.
Last tip, run a specific search for a tape that you will like and see what are its ups and down for a month... you may have a better idea of the real value and not be prey of the classic "mega rare!!! One of a kind auction" etc.

Since Q8 seems to be one of the cheaper quad formats I’d like to expand my collection of Q8 8 Track tapes. I don’t have a super huge budget, so nothing super rare or extravagant. I like Rock and Pop the most but I’m quite open to easy listening and soundtracks as I know these tend to be the cheapest.

I'm curious: are you planning on playing the tapes just for fun or doing conversions?

Either way, I'd recommend learning how to open up the tapes and replace the foil/splice. Can't tell you how many times I've gotten a Q8 from eBay or discogs only to find it's a total mess internally. Don't just throw it in the player.

....... Don't just throw it in the player.

Absolutely!! Very important. You could have a mint looking tape, or a still sealed tape, and if you just "pop it in" it might even start playing, but chances are it's playing itself around the capstan and suddenly it will stop and that's that. The whole section of tape that you just listened to will be wrapped into an accordian-shaped pile of confetti!

ALWAYS open them up, replace the pad, check the tension and the overall condition before you try and play it. Just to get the bugs out.....literally (sometimes)! :eek:

I currently have 5 tapes (well, four titles; one title being a two-tape set) I'd let go at fair market value:

Barbra Joan Streisand - $10
The Best of Mancini - $10
The Body & Soul of Tom Jones $10 (has one splice during first songs. Very playable, just has audible tape glitch)
Fiddler on the Roof Soundtrack (both tapes with Box) - $15

So, for $45 + shipping, I'd be more than happy to contribute to your search. It also means I don't have to eBay them! :D

One question: at present time do you pay taxes for import into USA? Have no idea if something has changed in the last 10 years.

super rare or extravagant. I like Rock and Pop the most but I’m quite open to easy listening and soundtracks as I know these tend to be the cheapest.

If you have any Q4 tapes you’d be willing to let go for a reasonable price let me know as well, although from what I’ve seen these seem to go for quite a bit of $$$

I have a pile of about 60 Q8s that I've been meaning to sell, ranging from cheap stuff like Mancini & Montenegro right up to some of the rarer titles like Jeff Beck Wired and Chicago IX and pretty much everything in between. About 40% of it is Columbia tapes, and the rest is pretty evenly split between A&M/WEA/RCA/Ampex and others.

If you (or anyone else is interested) I can put together a list and post it. I'd be looking roughly for eBay prices (maybe with a 5-10% discount if you take lots of tapes off my hands at once) plus exact cost shipping from Canada.

About 40% of it is Columbia tapes...If you (or anyone else is interested) I can put together a list and post it. I'd be looking roughly for eBay prices (maybe with a 5-10% discount if you take lots of tapes off my hands at once) plus exact cost shipping from Canada.

I'm VERY interested :)

Last edited:
steelydave,

If there is anything left, I am also interested. Especially: Jeff Beck, Edgar Winter, others. I will PM you to see if anything is left!

Have myself a bunch of tape to sell, but i'm on a trip now and will be back home on mid-october, and posting will be from europe (= higher). If there is someone intrested i can prepare a list with grading after october 14.

Back