Xanadu (1980) DVD With True 5.1 Music Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
A fairly detailed post online listing which of Jeff Lynne works are available in surround has this to say:

Xanadu DVDProbably the most notable of the soundtracks with the 5.1 mix is the Xanadu film. The original film was mixed to stereo only. The 1994 VHS video (and later the 1999 DVD) featured a new 5.1 mix with a nice separation of the sounds. Often, by listening to these channels in isolation, the various parts of the music can be clearly heard. For example, removing the center channel gives a "backing track" type of sound as the lead vocals (and bass) are removed (drums can still be heard in the front channels, but not as strong as the center). The film was reissued on DVD in 2008 with a new 5.1 mix. This new mix did little more than blend some of the audio across channels (such as the lead vocals now able to be heard in the front channels), thus removing much of the isolation of the sounds. Samples of this separation can be heard in the samples HERE, with each sample heard giving first the mono center channel, the stereo front channels together, then the stereo surround channels together.

Can anyone confirm this 1999-release DVD?
Please post a pic and any other details so we know what to search for and differentiate it from the later (2008) release.

Full post here:

http://www.jefflynnesongs.com/quadmix/

Why bother with the DVD of XANADU when a fantastic looking and sounding remastered BD~V is NOW available for 'peanuts:"

Because, if you read that post, later editions have a crappy, non-discrete sound mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been at that site too over the last couple of days! Apparently another live one (not Zoom) has a decent 5.1 mix so long as the correct edition is found.

I can still remember lining up all day to see this bloody movie with my mum. Expecting the greatest thing since Star Wars only to be bitterly disappointed. The movie was woeful, the music even being ELO was tolerable.

Why bother with the DVD of XANADU when a fantastic looking and sounding remastered BD~V is NOW available for 'peanuts:"

Because, if you read that post, later editions have a crappy, non-discrete sound mix.

The video of the Bluray is much better than the DVD. However, the Bluray audio is way less discrete. So I'm keeping my DVD with the Bluray.

If you have the first DVD release, that is the original 4.0 mix (L,C,R,S). Discrete 4.0 mixes of what were originally mixed to the Dolby Stereo matrix for 35mm are not uncommon, depending on the studio and condition of elements. You'll know if you have this disc if the video is strictly letterboxed, with no 16x9 enhancement. The Dolby Digital track is coded as 5.1, but the surrounds are (correctly) mono

Some years later this title was revisited and given a new 16x9 enhanced transfer for DVD, and the HD version was also used for the recent bluray. Am not sure if the original discrete printmaster was lost in the Universal fire or if the printmaster had deteriorated, but for whatever reason, the audio track was remixed. It seems to have done from stems and the fidelity is excellent. If one hasn't heard the original, on it's own is not too bad. That being said, I also prefer the original track, both from a purist standpoint and for it's more aggressive discrete nature in all four channels.

Is there a catalog number or some sort of DVD case markings to look for on the original DVD with the discrete 5.1 mix that Jeff Lynne speaks of?

This is the first DVD release with the original mix, with the cover as shown for Region #1 North America

Xanadu_1st_DVD.jpg

This is the second DVD release, with the bluray cover art being very close in design. Again Region #1, as art design that may vary world-wide

Xanadu_2nd_DVD.jpg

One more note on the first DVD release- on the back cover it correctly notes the audio mix as 4.0.

This is the first DVD release with the original mix, with the cover as shown for Region #1 North America

View attachment 27175

This is the second DVD release, with the bluray cover art being very close in design. Again Region #1, as art design that may vary world-wide

View attachment 27176

Yeah thet pretty cheap on ebay the first pictured one...........just type in Xanadu dvd 1999 - a bunch will come up. :banana:

Put on your roller skates Jon :rolleyes:

Some great songs on there tho :music

One more note on the first DVD release- on the back cover it correctly notes the audio mix as 4.0.

Meaning it's the original Dolby Stereo LCRS mix presented discretely.
Playing the DVD took me back to 1980, when that mix was merely disappointing.
In 2017 it pretty much sucks.

Back