Yes Fragile DVDA ROT

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We told you don't buy it from the white van.
Sorry to know both Cap'n and Mark have deteriorating discs.

Checked mine , all the Yes DVDA'S and 1 blu-ray I own , and they're fine .

Just a guess , but it might be a tiny bead of sweat got into a gap or opening at the edge .

So for me I'll be extra careful here on in .
just poor materials used in production. I saw an article on this long ago, some just loose data, I lost 3 discs that way. all HR

So the Yes album is fragile, and the damage is close to the edge? I for one am grateful to the relayer of these tales of drama; I do appreciate the union of like-minded fans here. I know I'll be going for the one I own to check it for damage. If I find any, I'll be sure to talk about it.

God damn it, it's 4 AM. Again.

Last edited:
So the Yes album is fragile, and the damage is close to the edge? I for one am grateful to the relayer of these tales of drama; I do appreciate the union of like-minded fans here. I know I'll be going for the one I own to check it for damage. If I find any, I'll be sure to talk about it.

God damn it, it's 4 AM. Again.
You have to Open your Eyes to see the rot, I guess, and to check you're not making a Magnification of the damage. I would happily Fly from Here to inspect the disc myself, but I fell of the Ladder and cannot get out of home.

Sorry to know both Cap'n and Mark have deteriorating discs.

Checked mine , all the Yes DVDA'S and 1 blu-ray I own , and they're fine .

Just a guess , but it might be a tiny bead of sweat got into a gap or opening at the edge .

So for me I'll be extra careful here on in .

02713-yes_cat.jpg

Not necessarily a moisture thing of course- I seem to recall that some of the laser rot that afflicted early CDs was put down to the bleaching agents used in the paper of the labels and booklets. Trapped in the jewel case, the sulphur or chlorine given off by the paper migrated through the polycarbonate (which is more porous than you might think) of the disc and attacked the metalised layer. Supposedly all such inserts were subsequently made of unbleached paper - perhaps that lesson has been unlearned?

Not necessarily a moisture thing of course- I seem to recall that some of the laser rot that afflicted early CDs was put down to the bleaching agents used in the paper of the labels and booklets. Trapped in the jewel case, the sulphur or chlorine given off by the paper migrated through the polycarbonate (which is more porous than you might think) of the disc and attacked the metalised layer. Supposedly all such inserts were subsequently made of unbleached paper - perhaps that lesson has been unlearned?

SO I should get rid of all the white paper cd/dvd envelopes I just got for my disc collection?
And, no, the disc was not in a paper envelope

Interesting info , however I don't believe paper touches these discs . They pop in and out of the plastic ring . All mine touch the additional disc , which is the cd . So they really are plastic on plastic .
To your additional credit , at least you didn't make a joke about them.

I don't know if the bleaching agent story was ever really proved to be a / the cause of laser rot but if the theory were true it wouldn't have needed physical contact between the disc and the paper. The paper was supposedly liberating a gas that permeated the jewel box. If it ever was, and were to remain an issue, then there is often plenty of paper stuffed inside both DVD and Blu-Ray disc jewel cases under those clips on the left hand side. It's usually promotional rubbish and I always throw it away just to be safe - as I am about to do with this one I've just bought! -

P1010361.JPG

And now I just thought of something else to worry over - what about that carboard sleeve that they (needlessly) surround a lot of discs with ?? Oh dear, I won't sleep well tonight....

Last edited:
Back