Yes (The ARW version) Live

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
From Burning Shed:

Yes featuring ARW
Live At The Apollo (various formats pre-order)

In 2016, Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman performed a series of concerts celebrating Yes’ musical legacy.

Live At The Apollo, the first release from Yes featuring ARW, captures a superb set from Manchester and includes Roundabout, Owner Of A Lonely Heart, And You And I, Hold On, Heart Of The Sunrise, Awaken and many more.

Available as double CD, triple 180g LP, Blu-Ray (with 5.1) and DVD (with 5.1) editions.

Pre-order for 7th September release.

Track list:

1) Intro / Cinema / Perpetual Change
2) Hold On
3) I've Seen All Good People : (i) Your Move (ii) All Good People
4) Lift Me Up
5) And You & I (i) Cord Of Life (ii) Eclipse (iii) The Preacher, The Teacher (iv) Apocalypse
6) Rhythm Of Love
7) Heart Of The Sunrise
8) Changes
9) Long Distance Runaround / The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)
10) Awaken
11) Make It Easy / Owner Of A Lonely Heart
12) Roundabout

Last edited:
I think I will get this.
The Steve Howe-led version of Yes doesn’t really do much of anything for me. (Even when Chris Squire was alive, without Jon Anderson, Yes always appeared to be somewhat lackluster.)
ARW is the best version of Yes since 2004, and their show in Nashville in 2016 was the best Yes show I have ever been to.
I think this will be a great release, so I will probably get it.

:)

Last edited:
I am absolutely NOT a rabid YES fan like many/most here. So, I realize this sort of thing will be scoffed at. But, regardless, thought I'd post about a pre-release for a concert blu-ray I just noticed.

No, it's far, far from your favorite YES lineup....and probably this should not even be called YES...and maybe it's not....I can't really tell. I may go ahead and get it...since I don't own any YES and or any "version" of a band playing YES songs live.....

Only, no detail on the audio formats.....anyone know?

SORT OF YES

I'm in the same boat about Yes...love their hits...and fortunately they have some good ones... but not the rest of their songs..but when I look at any of these "vintage" bands and I see the concert is a recent one...I usually pass...regardless of the lineup....because of my concern about the vocal quality of members that are in their 60's or 70's...there are exceptions...of course....but I'd rather look for material from "back in the day" when I know the vocals measure up...

I some how missed this thread. I would have loved to see this lineup but they did not not cross the USA border to my neck of the woods. The timing just wasn't right for me to see them in Seattle when they did their first tour but happy to see that I will be able to check it out via this bluray.

The Steve Howe-led version of Yes doesn’t really do much of anything for me....

Not sure if you mean just recent years.
I am/was a rabid fan! Particularly the Fragile/CTTE lineup. Still very much the Alan White lineup. I sometimes call TFTO my favorite just for the in your face level of avant garde if not the magical moments. I still liked the left field lineups (Drama & 90125). Drama was better. The reunion in '89 was greatness! Keys to Ascension is where it all started falling apart at the seams. Squire was back in the lineup and everything looked headed for amazing things. The bootleg from the first night surfaced and it was magical. Then the cut/paste disaster of the official live album came out. Still some moments in the studio tracks though. Long songs even! And... that was it. If you're talking about post Keys Steve Howe led Yes, I'm afraid I have to agree. (If not, don't mind my babbling.)

Not so much a fan of Trevor. I have to say I was impressed with the rapport between him and Wakeman on the Onion tour though. Wakeman saved that whole thing and made it work! So this lineup coming together seems like a natural. 90125 pop songs and covers of Howe led tracks though? Maybe the 5.1 mix will lure me in anyway.

Heh. Lots of missed opportunities on that Onion tour. They played HOTS. Huge opportunity to get all the studio guitar parts going between the two of them and just floor people. Nope. Trevor barely learned the song and kind of just played along. Must not have been much love between the two of them. Rick and Trevor clearly spent time working arrangements together though and that came across really well.

Apparently Trevor Rabin was recently being interviewed on the radio to promote the upcoming live video/cd, and he allowed the dj to play a new song that ARW have been working on for a future release. The sound quality isn't the best here, but it certainly gives you and idea.

Let the arguments begin!

That's not Yes!
Jon IS the voice of Yes!
It ain't Yes without Steve!
Wakeman is king!
I hate Trevor!
This Yes has more Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame members than the other Yes so this is the real Yes!

Did I forget anything? LOL.

(y)(n)(y)(n)(y)(n):unsure:
:LB:LB:QQlove:dance:QQlove:LB:LB

(Oh, and after two listens, I do like this, despite the pandering use of a classic album title.)

HEYHEYHEY.. I LOOVE TREVORRRR.. BOTH OF THEM!!!!!

I love Trevor too. I'm a big fan of the Rabin-era Yes. (I also love Drama and that other Trevor!) I'm just poking fun at the decades of arguments among Yes fans about which Yes is the real Yes. :cool: It always seemed pointless to me to have those arguments about a band who never went more than two albums without a lineup change. I think every era of the band had some stellar moments.

Apparently Trevor Rabin was recently being interviewed on the radio to promote the upcoming live video/cd, and he allowed the dj to play a new song that ARW have been working on for a future release. The sound quality isn't the best here, but it certainly gives you and idea.

Let the arguments begin!

That's not Yes! IT MOST CERTAINLY ISN'T
Jon IS the voice of Yes! HE CERTAINLY IS
It ain't Yes without Steve! NO IT AIN'T
Wakeman is king! MMM, NOT REALLY
I hate Trevor! DON'T HATE HIM, HE'S JUST NOT A YES GUITARIST
This Yes has more Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame members than the other Yes so this is the real Yes! SO WHAT!

Did I forget anything? LOL.

(y)(n)(y)(n)(y)(n):unsure:
:LB:LB:QQlove:dance:QQlove:LB:LB

(Oh, and after two listens, I do like this, despite the pandering use of a classic album title.)

I love Trevor too. I'm a big fan of the Rabin-era Yes. (I also love Drama and that other Trevor!) I'm just poking fun at the decades of arguments among Yes fans about which Yes is the real Yes. :cool: It always seemed pointless to me to have those arguments about a band who never went more than two albums without a lineup change. I think every era of the band had some stellar moments.

It's a nice song, not really Yessy, but better than anything off Talk (the last Rabin Yes album)

I think I will get this.
The Steve Howe-led version of Yes doesn’t really do much of anything for me. (Even when Chris Squire was alive, without Jon Anderson, Yes always appeared to be somewhat lackluster.)
ARW is the best version of Yes since 2004, and their show in Nashville in 2016 was the best Yes show I have ever been to.
I think this will be a great release, so I will probably get it.

You should give the (Steve Howe) official Yes another chance Ryan. It was kinda lacklustre when this version began, but I think now they are much improved, and Geoff Downes and especially Jon Davison are getting better all the time. I saw them earlier this year and I would say they are now very very Yessy. I have seen, and enjoyed, both versions this year, and the Steve Howe Yes is (for me) the better experience.

You should give the (Steve Howe) official Yes another chance Ryan. It was kinda lacklustre when this version began, but I think now they are much improved, and Geoff Downes and especially Jon Davison are getting better all the time. I saw them earlier this year and I would say they are now very very Yessy. I have seen, and enjoyed, both versions this year, and the Steve Howe Yes is (for me) the better experience.

I don't like Geoff Downes (never have)
Jon Davison is very good, but no one beats Jon Anderson for me.
Anyway, I only plan on going to Yes shows in Nashville as neither lineup is worth traveling for.
I'm saving my travel money for King Crimson!

Here's a preview of the ARW Blu-ray:

Billboard posted an interview with Trevor today:

During its less than two years of touring, Yes Featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman -- aka Yes ARW -- makes a habit of mixing songs from Yes' 70s heyday and from guitarist Rabin's 12-year tenure with the group. The latter is material the other edition of Yes doesn't touch, so it makes Rabin happy that hits such as "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and "Rhythm of Love" -- whose performance from the upcoming 50th Anniversary Live at the Apollo package premieres exclusively below -- continue to get an airing on stage.

"We do about half and half," Rabin tells Billboard about the ARW's division of eras. "We decided we're going to explore all this stuff, and when I'm playing something I wasn't involved with recording I will look at (the original version) like it's a demo and I bring to it what I would have done if I had recorded it as a new piece. So obviously I learn the piece but then I work really hard to express it in my way and change things -- obviously with due respect to (the original). And with my stuff which Rick wasn't involved in, he does the same thing. It makes it quite exciting and things take on a whole new life."

Rabin calls "Rhythm of Love" "one of the absolutely favorite things for us to do live," despite the song's somewhat difficult origins. The track, which hit No. 2 on the Top Rock Songs chart in 1987, hails from Yes' Big Generator album, the follow-up to 1983's triple-platinum 90215. Rabin recalls that the song was written under pressure to produce another hit single, which led to an arduous creative process. "I rewrote the verse to it a number of times," he says. "The first couple of melodies sounded OK when I sang it, but Jon's a far superior singer and they didn't suit his voice. Eventually I came up with a melody that sounded right for Jon and he loved singing it, and we put it out with a view of it becoming the single -- but," he adds with a laugh, "'Love Will Find a Way' became the first single anyway! But it's still become a real favorite of ours live."

Due out Sept. 7 and featuring a dozen songs from the Yes canon, Live at the Apollo comes out while the group is in the midst of its next U.S. tour, which starts Aug. 26 at the Whisky A Go Go in Los Angeles. The trio adopted the Yes name shortly after the group's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 2017 -- legally, but causing some consternation amidst the fan base. But Rabin feels his band, and particularly Anderson, have as much claim to the name as their former bandmates.

"As far as calling this Yes, to be honest I could care less. I never cared what it was called in 1980 (when Rabin joined) and I don’t care now," Rabin says. "Frankly, as far as having the right to use the name legally and ethically, I think Jon has more right than anyone. He's the only original living member right now and he's the singer and one of the prime writers. So from that point of view I think calling this Yes is a pretty honest appraisal. I'm just happy to be part of it, whatever it's called."

The question now remains as to whether Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman will release original music. The troupe has reportedly been working on material since as early as 2011, but Rabin -- whose prolific film scoring career includes Con Air, Remember the Titans, Get Smart and Grudge Match -- did play a song called "Fragile" on Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones' Jonesy’s Jukebox radio show in Los Angeles. Rabin says that "there is a lot of music that's been written and stuff that's been passed backwards and forwards," but the group appears in no hurry to put anything out at the moment.

"I have no idea whether that's in the cards or not, but it's certainly not something I'm against and it's not something Jon or Rick is against," Rabin says. "We've been offered a number of record deals but we don't want to commit to that, so we've turned them down. Doing a record contract is not something we want to do, and if we record then we'll record first and then decide what to do with it. There won't be some announcement that Yes signs to whatever. That's not something we're even interested in."

Back