Yes (The ARW version) Live

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you read any interviews it is living original member in either Yes; but the wording certainly could have been better.
There are a number of lengthy interviews talking about the gentlemen's agreement that Anderson had with Chris and how once he passed he felt the time was right to use the name.
I am not a fan of two bands touring under one name, although in this case they have taken pains to make it obvious which version is which. Ask me again in a month what I think about it since I will be seeing them shortly. (Trombone Shorty, then the Anderon's Tull 50, Yes ARW, Henry Rollins ... shaping up to be a good 6 weeks)

Has anyone got this yet?
Mine will be a while yet as not released here till end of this week and I opted for snail mail to save money..
here's a review I found:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Yes-F...man-Live-at-the-Apollo-Blu-ray/208759/#Review

I had to swallow PRETTY HARD tonight and .. even though they HAD THE BD there , I can get it cheaper in ..yanazzzon.. so I SAVED MY PENNIES.. and actually got something that was NOT available online( I think).. a SIGNED POSTER!!

This is a great concert with pretty decent audio, although mostly front image sound with crowd noise and reverb in the rears, but decent bass. One thing that really grinds my gears is that there seems to be fake audience applause and cheering added in that doesn't match with what I'm seeing from the audience. I don't think I have ever heard a live concert before with such an obvious 'laugh track' cheering going on. They even show the crowd just sitting there listening, but you hear a roaring crowd.

I think this is a great concert performance, I mean I really freakin' love it!, but the fake crowd noise really, really sucks! I'd much rather had the honest quiet, attentive, real audience noise, if even that. I'm fine with totally discrete studio sound quality on live recordings with no added reverb in the back and minimal crowd noise.

This is a great concert with pretty decent audio, although mostly front image sound with crowd noise and reverb in the rears, but decent bass. One thing that really grinds my gears is that there seems to be fake audience applause and cheering added in that doesn't match with what I'm seeing from the audience. I don't think I have ever heard a live concert before with such an obvious 'laugh track' cheering going on. They even show the crowd just sitting there listening, but you hear a roaring crowd.

I think this is a great concert performance, I mean I really freakin' love it!, but the fake crowd noise really, really sucks! I'd much rather had the honest quiet, attentive, real audience noise, if even that. I'm fine with totally discrete studio sound quality on live recordings with no added reverb in the back and minimal crowd noise.

Totally agree with your review. Shame they added the extra crowd noise. Its very distracting to which otherwise is a good concert.
To bad they didn't do like the Pineapple Thief live bluray which just lets you hear the music played with minimal to no crowd noise.

Like someone said the mix is reverb and echo in the rears, but in the second half, we can hear some Rabin's guitar and Rick keys in some occasion in the rears. The sound is clear as, for the crowd noise, it feels a bit artificial and make me cringe, but not to the point to stop watching the whole thing. I prefer Wakeman's keys to Downes by far but I would have preferred Steve Howe style of guitar playing even though I think Rabin did a good job here.

Yes Alive!

Heh.

Maybe they only had a stereo soundboard feed + an audience mic? If so, presenting that in the most complete way in surround is certainly the right thing to do. If not... what a shame.

The real problem is I'm not a fan of how Rabin 'breezes' through Howe's parts in the Yes tracks. And I'm just a casual fan of the 90125 band. I get more enjoyment from awful sounding audience recordings of Yes from 1971.

Back