Yessongs Blu-Ray - with 5.1 remix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Believe it or not, I haven't bought a blu-ray player yet. This release could change that!

J. D.

http://www.odeonent.co.uk/product.asp?cid=&pid=2661

Yessongs Blu-Ray
Stock Number: ODNBM002

Product Description

YES has always been regarded as a unique rock group and progressive rock legends. Never afraid to innovate or draw their inspiration from music that traversed the spectrum from symphonic to rock, YES has been at the forefront of progressive rock and became a major force in popular music selling over 30 million albums and reaching platinum status multiple times worldwide. During the late 1960's YES were renowned for their live performances culminating in their seminal album and film of the same name, YESSONGS.

Filmed in1972 at London's Rainbow theatre, this feature film was released theatrically in the UK the following year with a quadrophonic sound track. The film features their new line-up of Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman and Alan White, and having fallen off the radar for nearly forty years and only being available previously in poor quality bootlegs, this official Blu-ray release has been scanned and restored by Pinewood Studios Post Production into a stunning High-Definition picture and 5.1 surround sound restoration to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the live Yessongs concert.

This limited edition collector's release also includes four new YESSONGS artwork cards specially created by Roger Dean for this release, and over one hour of new and unseen extras in HD.

Featured tracks include: I've Seen All Good People, Clap, And You And I, Close to the Edge, Excerpts from 6 Wives of Henry VIII, Roundabout, Yours is No Disgrace and Excerpts from Starship Trooper

EXTRAS

Beginnings (1975) HD restoration of Steve Howe's guitar short, previously thought lost (12 mins)

New 2012 HD documentary on Yessongs featuring Steve Howe, Roger Dean and Chris Squire (60 mins)

New YESSONGS artwork cards specially created by Roger Dean for this commemorative edition

Technical Details

British

Colour
84 Minutes

Release date 30/04/12

Original restored mono track, plus newly created DTS HD MA 5.1 Remix.
DIRECTED by Peter Neal

Thanks J.D.,
I've always loved Yes, but my brother worshiped Steve Howe when we were kids. Unreleased Howe footage? He's gonna blow a gasket!

I was already planning on getting Yes - Symphonic Live on Blu-ray but apparently I will be getting this as well!

This is great news!

I recall the ad for the film in the LA Times as touting quadraphonic sound. Glad to see a proper restoratation on this documentation of probably the most important phase of the band.

If only Emerson Lake & Palmer's best work could be upgraded in a similar fashion.

I've never seen that film but having seen the group back then I want this. I just hope the pq quality of the film merits a blu ray version.

No offense to any of the upmixers but I hope this is a true 5.1 mix going back to the multis

Otto: There is a thread on this here on QQ...the consensus was that the DVD version was strictly stereo. There was also a laser disc of the movie. From the reviews of those who actually saw the movie in theaters, it doesn't sound like a "good" version has ever existed! Soundwise...... John

As I remeber I saw it at a midnight screening and it was the second movie. I think some songs were different than the album. Almost bought the DVD a few times. this I might get if they clean up the sound and video. But it still is a concert movie from the 70s.

...I hope this is a true 5.1 mix going back to the multis
It would be such a waste if it was derived from the original mono track :yikes It would be something if one of the lost quad copies was found (the trailer says it was in quad).

seems like amazon has it on list as a DVD printed back in 1997.
if anyone have this DVD would be nice to shed bit a light in regards of surround mix.
most likely on blu ray would be same but lossless.
Well let's hope it is not the same source. At that time it was thought this was about the last copy of the movie to be found. It's quality (on the DVD) is poor, in this form it has only value as a document of the early years of the band.
The sound is lossless LPCM stereo indeed, but in fact it's like double mono.

It would be such a waste if it was derived from the original mono track :yikes It would be something if one of the lost quad copies was found (the trailer says it was in quad).

There were definitely four-track magnetic prints, I managed to see/hear that version in two different theaters back in the 1970s.

I have the old DVD, I guess I should check it again to see if it's real stereo or not. It never made any sense to me that it would be anything other than flat mono or some version of 4.0--the film pre-dated theatrical Dolby Surround, so there would have been either optical mono prints or magnetic 4-track, but nothing 2-track or matrixed. I'm also not clear if the 4-track version was what we'd now think of as "quadraphonic" or whether it was really the far more common theatrical layout consisting of three front channels and mono surround. It's not impossible that there were two mixes.

I also can't figure out what happened with "Pink Floyd at Pompeii". The original laserdisc sounds to my ears like it's the theatrical 4-track (3 front, mono surround) mix encoded as Dolby Surround. So someone had access to that version when the laserdisc was created...but when the DVD appeared, it was claimed that the original tracks were missing, so the DVD was released as 2.0. But 2.0 from *what*? Unless there was a two-track mix created for simulcasting the originally-broadcast music-only version, it doesn't make sense to me that they'd have had access to non-mono elements that weren't at least three front + mono surround.

And, ranting further, why was the original DVD of "The Song Remains the Same" 2.0? There were 4-track magnetic prints of that as well.

I'm tired...I hope that makes sense.

It is my hope that they bypass the existing mixs altogether and scrub this up good.

Do not see a pre-order link on Amazon as yet.

Back