Your first experience that made you a surround music lover

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was over a friend's house who owns McIntosh Tube equipment. He wanted to let me hear how great it sounded and I chose the album "Toy Matinee" to play as the Demo of the stereo. Of course that recording is amazing. One thing led to another in conversation about Kevin Gilbert which prompted me to buy any and all Kevin Gilbert involved music. I then purchased the DVD Audio version of "Toy Matinee". One thing led to another, an OPPO Blu Ray Player appeared. 347 discs later........and counting.

In the late 2000's I bought a Sony home theatre that played something called 'sacds'. I found out these discs played surround sound music and that I could hear 'dark side of he moon' all around me.

So I guess like many 'second wavers' dark side was my first musical multi channel experience which lead me to Jeff Wayne's war of the worlds, genesis box sets, the police, the Beatles, mike oldfield, depeche mode, Elton john, beck, Jeff beck, bjork and later king crimson and xtc, but it wasn't enough, I needed more..

I ended up buying nine inch nails, jazz, classical, stuff I'd never heard before...

With the lack of major label support of new releases, I thought it was over, but then dutton vocalian and Sony Japan come along.

I don't blame my lack of willpower, I blame the internet :) saying that I've probably enjoyed most of what I've heard and been opened up to plenty of music I'd never heard before

I bet you could have some intereting stories about working at Altec-Lansing. I should check out your previous posts.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Even then, consumer audio wasn't exactly a steady income, and even the pro stuff had lots of ups and downs. But building toys is always fun.

Unfortunately, when I was there, the engineering staff completed several projects, but NONE of them were ever produced. I have the prototype of a stereo power amp intended to go with the 728 tuner-preamp, and I have the two prototype University E-8s. The amp has never worked, but it's on my "gonna get to that someday" list (I've moved it from coast-to-coast twice - go figure), but the speakers are still lovely, and for some reason, almost fifty years later, the surrounds on the woofers are still soft.

first of all that message wasnt from me I started listening to quad in 1970 when I was at team electronics and the salesman showed me a sansui qs1 and played the dyanaco demo disk with voices from the front and back then a rainstorm he made me a taped copy and I went back to the base in Duluth MN and wired my speakers in L-R fashion . a year later I bought my first decoder an EV stereo-4 I have been a quad fan ever since

Back