[YouTube] Techmoan's Pioneer SD-1000 Stereo Display Scope Review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched this at lunch today. I love Techmoan, he really does attempt to (and often succeeds in) do the most research possible on any given topic.
Like, I did not know that I now only want the SD-1100. I figured both could do Quad as the 1000 even states in it's manual that it technically should.

I've also reached out to him to let him know that when he wants to do his Quad episode, that he could potentially call upon us (the 4-eared Community) for any support he may need. It would be nice to have a factual record out there, especially one as well-received as Techmoan to do an in-depth episode on Quad and it's various formats.

I've also reached out to him to let him know that when he wants to do his Quad episode, that he could potentially call upon us (the 4-eared Community) for any support he may need. It would be nice to have a factual record out there, especially one as well-received as Techmoan to do an in-depth episode on Quad and it's various formats.
:LB:LB:LB:LB:LB

Watched this at lunch today. I love Techmoan, he really does attempt to (and often succeeds in) do the most research possible on any given topic.
Like, I did not know that I now only want the SD-1100. I figured both could do Quad as the 1000 even states in it's manual that it technically should...
It wouldn't be too difficult to wire up a little matrix steering circuit to provide a quad display on a stereo vectorscope like the SD-1000 (or a regular oscilloscope in X-Y mode). It would be the electrical equivalent of this software thing I rigged up (which is, in turn, the software equivalent of the quad scope circuit from a Marantz receiver schematic I found online).

This could be a little box with 4 quad audio inputs (and maybe passthrough outputs) and X-Y outputs to feed a stereo vectorscope. I'm kinda thinking it would be fun to have something like this to hook up to my old Tektronix scope. If anyone else is interested, let me know & I'll get it breadboarded as soon as I have time.

A scope with differential x-y inputs is as rare as hen's teeth these days but if you have such a thing then it can be turned into a quad vectorscope using a simple circuit that was first published by Donald Patten of the AES in 1972:
Quad Vectorscope.jpg

All you need is four diodes (preferably Germanium for their lower turn on voltage than Silicon) and a handful of (say) 4K7 resistors. If your scope hasn't got differential inputs you can convert the outputs of the above circuit to single ended using a couple of op amps. Job done.

Last edited:
Back