Zektor HDS4.1 Multichannel Switcher in Europe

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't see any reason why not.
Connect Zektor output to amp(s). The stereo output from the Oppo is independent from its 7.1's. You would just switch the Zektor to the input that the Involve is connected to.

For example, Oppo 2.0 output to Involve SM. SM 4 ch quad outs to Zektor input 1, Oppo 5.1's (Zektor HDS4.1 has 6 jacks per input) for SACD/DVD-A to Zektor input 2. Zektor output to amp(s). Note: the HDS4.1 is more suitable for 5.1 audio than the HDS4 since the HDS4.1 had 6 analog inputs + separate digital audio while the HDS4 had 6 RCA jacks per input but 1 of them was SPDIF coax digital so you couldn't fully switch 5.1 audio with a single HDS4.

The advantage of the MAS7.1 was it had 6 analog jacks like the HDS4.1 but also had 2 more audio jacks that could be used as a separate l/r stereo or coupled with the 5.1's to make it a 7.1. Very handy but VERY hard to find. I got lucky & I had been looking on Ebay, Audiogon etc for 5+ yrs! The other option to fully switch 7.1 is get 2 HDS4.1's and connect the backs to the 2nd one and switch in tandem using remote, manually, or a macro in a programmable remote. URC for instance has the Zektor codes in its programming software but any programmable remote that has a IR learning function can be used.

By using IR control and/or RS232 (some models had RS232), the Zektors were much handier than the very few 5.1 manual switchers still available at places like HDTV Supply. Plus they had better freq bandwidth being originally designed for component video.

Thanks SS. That is exactly what I was asking.

Currently(for discrete 4.1, ghost center), I use the Oppo stereo outs for my front L-R. And the rear L-R come from the Oppo's 5.1 outputs.

With the setup as you describe using 5.1 outs for DVD-A and stereo outs to SM, I assume I can select which outputs to use from the Oppo? Or does the Oppo output to both 5.1(7.1) and stereo, no matter what?

^^
IIRC I think both stereo & multichannel outs are active at same time.

I admit I haven't looked at my manuals in awhile (I have the 105 & 205 but had a 93). In looking at the 105 manual, pg 16-18, you may want to check the instructions for your model - there's some down-mix options for using both 7.1 & stereo outs. I've personally not used the Oppo's analogs before but recently connected them up to try out, just haven't listened yet so I'll need to go thru this myself ;) I think you have to set a downmix option if you want to play 5.1 discs as 2 ch stereo but not sure if this also applies to a stereo disc. If you have a different model, there may be some differences but in my experience with the 93, 105 & 205, they all tend to be similar in setup & handling audio.

And reply sent to your message this AM :)

Back