Zeppelin in 2018?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive me, but the cynic in me says that we would have to buy the entire overblown boxes again to get the 5.1 mix.

Forgive me, but the cynic in me says that we would have to buy the entire overblown boxes again to get the 5.1 mix.

And I would buy them, too.

What I’m more worried about is that it would be done poorly. And I’d almost rather they don’t do it at all than have it fall way short of expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

around '75 or so one of my biggest questions was 'Why isn't Zep in Quad?' haha...
sorry to say I'm pretty sick to death of them now but will play III now and again as well as Houses but that's about it...

still, if surround came out it would be a must buy.

A little more Zep news from The Second Disc:

Led Zeppelin are coming to Record Store Day.

Before the legendary band kicks off its 50th anniversary celebration in September, a special 7-inch vinyl single will arrive at independent record stores everywhere on April 21 from Atlantic Records and Rhino. The single, pressed on yellow vinyl, will premiere two previously unreleased studio mixes: the Sunset Sound Mix of “Rock and Roll” b/w the Olympic Studios Mix of “Friends.” Both of these tracks have been selected for this release by producer Jimmy Page.

“Rock and Roll” is only the third track released from the fabled Sunset Sound Mixes of Led Zeppelin IV. The studio mix of “When the Levee Breaks” actually made the original album, while the mix of “Stairway to Heaven” was included on the 2014 Deluxe Edition. The Olympic Studios Mix of “Friends” is described by the label as a “stripped-down version without the orchestration of the final mix, offering a true fly-on-the-wall feel from the band’s recording sessions for Led Zeppelin III at Headley Grange.”

This limited edition single will follow the release of the remastered How the West Was Won in multiple formats on March 23 including the first ever vinyl and Blu-ray Audio editions (with the Blu-ray containing hi-res 5.1 surround sound). The live album features performances from Led Zeppelin’s landmark California concerts at the Los Angeles Forum and Long Beach Arena on June 25 and 27, 1972, as sequenced to replicate one entire concert. Read more about that release here, and watch this space for more news on Record Store Day’s 2018 slate of releases!

Led-Zeppelin-RSD-Single.jpg

Why can’t they put these exclusive recordings on CD and combine record day with CD day?
I don’t buy or play vinyl!

And I would buy them, too.

What I’m more worried about is that it would be done poorly. And I’d almost rather they don’t do it at all than have it fall way short of expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is always my "fear" when it comes to Led Zep...poor audio quality...their last "attempt" at surround was IMO an epic failure...the ill fated Celebration Day blu ray audio..sometimes if you revisit an old title that you previously heard...you have a different feeling about it...well...I recently revisited the Celebration Disc...and it's still poor...it gives glimpses of what might have been...but those glimpses are few in number...usually when you get a release that has some good songs..you talk about those songs...on this release you talk about "segments" of certain songs that you like..not even a complete song!...

I first purchased the Celebration Blu Ray Concert...and before the ink was dry I sold it...I hated it...now before you think I'm not a Led Zep fan...I LOVE their music..and I will echo the previous comments by another poster..I will buy any future surround attempts by Zep...regardless of them being in some exotic box set...but I will also realize that they will probably be poor...now back to the Blu Ray audio of Celebration...after reading the poll on here(I wasn't a member)in 2012 I got the blu ray audio...I knew from reading the poll that it was the same mix...but a well respected member gave it a 10 so I thought I would try it...well everything was the same and the only thing they did was take the video out...I could have just not watched the concert by turning off my tv...that was their idea of a blu ray audio disc...so I hope they have learned something from that release...but because the content is so awesome I will keep trying to get a decent sounding disc from them..

That is always my "fear" when it comes to Led Zep...poor audio quality...their last "attempt" at surround was IMO an epic failure...the ill fated Celebration Day blu ray audio..sometimes if you revisit an old title that you previously heard...you have a different feeling about it...well...I recently revisited the Celebration Disc...and it's still poor...it gives glimpses of what might have been...but those glimpses are few in number...usually when you get a release that has some good songs..you talk about those songs...on this release you talk about "segments" of certain songs that you like..not even a complete song!...

I first purchased the Celebration Blu Ray Concert...and before the ink was dry I sold it...I hated it...now before you think I'm not a Led Zep fan...I LOVE their music..and I will echo the previous comments by another poster..I will buy any future surround attempts by Zep...regardless of them being in some exotic box set...but I will also realize that they will probably be poor...now back to the Blu Ray audio of Celebration...after reading the poll on here(I wasn't a member)in 2012 I got the blu ray audio...I knew from reading the poll that it was the same mix...but a well respected member gave it a 10 so I thought I would try it...well everything was the same and the only thing they did was take the video out...I could have just not watched the concert by turning off my tv...that was their idea of a blu ray audio disc...so I hope they have learned something from that release...but because the content is so awesome I will keep trying to get a decent sounding disc from them..

If I remember correctly, the stand-alone blu-ray audio only of Celebration Day was 96/24 while the video blu-ray was 48/24 - not that I would be able to tell the difference.

Here's the thing about Celebration Day.... I know some people were disappointed in it - is it audiophile-grade sound quality? No - it's loud and it lacks detail and refinement. Is the surround mix up there with the best of them? No, it's your typical concert mix, band in front, crowd in back. Is it the best performance of their career? No, not bad, but not quite 1970 either. Could I see why someone would give it a 10? Yes, absolutely. Here's why. I am a lifelong Zeppelin fan, they are by far my favorite band. Unfortunately, I started getting into them in 1980, just as they were breaking up, so I never had the chance to see them in concert, and there is precious little quality video of them available from their heyday. Celebration Day was a chance to see them go out on a high note, in hi-def video and modern audio sound. The sound, for all of its faults, sounds like being at a rock concert. It is the closest I will ever feel to actually being there. The thing I love about it is the MASSIVE-sounding bottom end, bass and drums especially. Listen to Kashmir on this disc. Positively epic sounding, and then we you combine it with the visuals building and building to the conclusion, it doesn't get any better than that for me. Zeppelin was meant to sound heavy and this disc doesn't disappoint in that area.

And there are, for me, many other goose-bump inducing moments - the opening beats of Good Times, Bad Times, the slide guitar in In My Time of Dying, Jimmy Page leaning on his wah-wah pedal at the end of No Quarter, Jonesy playing the funky keyboards in Trampled Underfoot, and all the smiles and glances exchanged between the four of them, knowing they finally got it right and having the time of their lives. The whole thing just felt triumphant to me. So there's my case for this being a 10, despite it's flaws.

I love this disc and it is one of the most-played concert discs I own.

If I remember correctly, the stand-alone blu-ray audio only of Celebration Day was 96/24 while the video blu-ray was 48/24 - not that I would be able to tell the difference.

Here's the thing about Celebration Day.... I know some people were disappointed in it - is it audiophile-grade sound quality? No - it's loud and it lacks detail and refinement. Is the surround mix up there with the best of them? No, it's your typical concert mix, band in front, crowd in back. Is it the best performance of their career? No, not bad, but not quite 1970 either. Could I see why someone would give it a 10? Yes, absolutely. Here's why. I am a lifelong Zeppelin fan, they are by far my favorite band. Unfortunately, I started getting into them in 1980, just as they were breaking up, so I never had the chance to see them in concert, and there is precious little quality video of them available from their heyday. Celebration Day was a chance to see them go out on a high note, in hi-def video and modern audio sound. The sound, for all of its faults, sounds like being at a rock concert. It is the closest I will ever feel to actually being there. The thing I love about it is the MASSIVE-sounding bottom end, bass and drums especially. Listen to Kashmir on this disc. Positively epic sounding, and then we you combine it with the visuals building and building to the conclusion, it doesn't get any better than that for me. Zeppelin was meant to sound heavy and this disc doesn't disappoint in that area.

And there are, for me, many other goose-bump inducing moments - the opening beats of Good Times, Bad Times, the slide guitar in In My Time of Dying, Jimmy Page leaning on his wah-wah pedal at the end of No Quarter, Jonesy playing the funky keyboards in Trampled Underfoot, and all the smiles and glances exchanged between the four of them, knowing they finally got it right and having the time of their lives. The whole thing just felt triumphant to me. So there's my case for this being a 10, despite it's flaws.

I love this disc and it is one of the most-played concert discs I own.

It's exactly like the blu ray concert...24/48...and all they did was just omit the video and they called it a blu ray audio disc..I love Led Zep...but the early part of the song list was almost unbearable to listen to...I understand all that you are saying and it's always subjective...and yesterday I was playing the Celebration Blu Ray Audio hoping I had changed my mind from 2012...but I hadn't...and when I played that Plant/Page Unledded DVD a few minutes ago the difference was amazing..how much better it sounded than Celebration...I had Zep CDs that would outperform that Celebration disc by a wide margin.....but I also understand the intangibles to each individual...and anything that puts a smile on someone's face is worthy of praise from that individual:)

Let me add one thing...the BD-V may have been 16/48..but the BD-A was 24/48..

It's exactly like the blu ray concert...24/48...and all they did was just omit the video and they called it a blu ray audio disc..I love Led Zep...but the early part of the song list was almost unbearable to listen to...I understand all that you are saying and it's always subjective...and yesterday I was playing the Celebration Blu Ray Audio hoping I had changed my mind from 2012...but I hadn't...and when I played that Plant/Page Unledded DVD a few minutes ago the difference was amazing..how much better it sounded than Celebration...I had Zep CDs that would outperform that Celebration disc by a wide margin.....but I also understand the intangibles to each individual...and anything that puts a smile on someone's face is worthy of praise from that individual:)

My understanding is that the blu-ray video was 16/48, while the blu-ray audio is 24/48. I also thought the BD-Audio was more dynamic, although this is a bit inconclusive: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=led+zeppelin&album=celebration+day

You're probably right, I knew there was some subtle difference in the specs.

My understanding is that the blu-ray video was 16/48, while the blu-ray audio is 24/48. I also thought the BD-Audio was more dynamic, although this is a bit inconclusive: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=led+zeppelin&album=celebration+day

It is and I had the video uploaded at some point too, maybe someone not paying attention thought it was a dupe and deleted it based on the Blu-ray Audio entry.

Yes, the Blu-ray Video is a good 2-3dB more compressed than the Blu-ray Audio...I've never heard of that before, two separate masterings of the same 5.1 mix released at the same time.

Interesting. I never considered Zep music in multichannel. They are so blues-rock based that stereo suits them well. Maybe Zep II would be cool especially Whole Lotta Love, just not sure...Page is sloppy I'll bet he won't allow his guitar to be completely solated. ;-)

Interesting. I never considered Zep music in multichannel. They are so blues-rock based that stereo suits them well. Maybe Zep II would be cool especially Whole Lotta Love, just not sure...Page is sloppy I'll bet he won't allow his guitar to be completely solated. ;-)

such an arrogant, uninformed statement. Are you a player? Have you fundamentally changed the way guitar based music is arranged and produced? I'm thinking NO!

such an arrogant, uninformed statement. Are you a player? Have you fundamentally changed the way guitar based music is arranged and produced? I'm thinking NO!

Yes, I am a player. Been playing for 30 years and have studied Page from his pre-Yardbirds days to his solo stuff. He's a brilliant composer, amazing guitarist, ground breaking engineer, one of my idols actually but he's also sloppy player, it's a well known fact among musicians less so among non-musicians (the casual listener won't even notice). There have been many, many discussions on the topic in the rock guitar forums. Check out the isolated track of the Heartbreaker solo.

Here's one of many threads on the very topic from the Zep forum:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/topic/22428-so-is-jimmy-page-a-sloppy-player/

Last edited:
OK, guys, let's not get worked up over this...
Yes, Page IS "sloppy", AND he KNOWS IT...don't know what interview I was reading recently where he clearly states that his main purpose is to "get whatever he's feeling through" (I'm paraphrasing...)
NOW...being a musician, I am very competent as a bass and stick player and can play basically anything you throw at me...BUT I am aware I have NOT come up with brilliant/complex bass lines or have created any relevant musical material (hey, maybe one day the couple of albums I did with my ex will be considered brilliant, but that's besides the point...)
The point I want to make is: Pagey COULD have "worked on" his technique and could have "polished it" but he does not think that it's important, obviously; to him, the material is the important part.
So, yes, we could judge him, but, from my humble point of view, I would not throw any stones cause I am not anyone to judge him nor anyone else...
PEACE!!
:smokin

Last edited:
Well said kap. I think what makes Page somewhat unique is exactly his sloppy solos (some, not all). Either way he's a brilliant player, there's no question about that.
Compared to shredders like Yngwie Malstrum Page has way more feel. Most likely from his folk and blues roots.

Back