what a crappy review for DSOTM

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
That is a really lousy review for DSOTM at Highfidelity....I think the guy rushed it to be first....barely reveals any sonic details, and judging by all the inaccuracies, I think it's the first time he's heard the damn album! (he keeps referring to "rotary telephone sounds" in Money...it's a cash register!!!!)

I'll wait for a proper review!

thats funny, when I read that I was confused b/c I never thought that it was a phone either. I was wondering if I was wrong.

Doug

Be careful what you say... the author of that review is a member of this board. It's probably not terribly important to figure out exactly what was used for the sound effects, as long as we know what part of the song we're talking about.

Sorry....I guess I was just expecting more info about the sonics.....and I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to detail....

Mostly I agree with what you're saying, I'm just letting you know the source is around. This info might help with how you might word your thoughts.

Somebody should send Nick a DTS conversion of the discrete Alan PArsons mix. In his review, he states that he is going to compare the SACD to the SQ LP decoded through a Tate! :eek: :eek: <strong>NOT FAIR</strong>

The SACD will blow away the crappy SQ mix. He needs the UK Q8 to really compare the mixes.....

:-jon

Hey Jon, I offered to send Nick the DTS CD. I haven't heard back from him yet. That is definitely the best way to go for a comparison!

. . . at the beginning of Money. I've thought that for thirty years. Now that you mention it, there is also certainly a cash register in the sounds, though I do believe a phone is in the mix. I would hope the main point of the mingling of the ringing noises with the music is not lost.

Sorry the review didn't meet your standards. For the most part, I felt what got said was useful, or I wouldn't have said it.

Nick Satullo

Nick,
Sorry.....guess I wanted more of a track by track play-by-play. I got frustrated by the dissection of The Wall 5.1, thought it went on a bit, but that's just me. My apologies.

After reading many articles and books, I was under the impression that all the sounds in Money were derived from a mechanical cash register, and the the sounds that go along with it (change, drawers opening...etc)

If someone knows more, feel free to let us know!

I read in an interview some place that Roger Waters is responsible for recording the sound effects in "Money". One of the things he mentioned doing was dropping a handful of coins into a container of some sort and recording that. Obviously there are other things going on there but he did not elaborate on how the other parts were recorded.

Nick,

Your review was fine. There are always agree'ers and disagree'ers (? - You know what I mean :) ). I just think you should NOT do a comparison to the SQ LP, even if you have the best, baddest-ever Fosgate decoder ever concieved, because the SQ mix is <strong>NOTHING</strong> like the discrete mix. Please let Cai (or me) or someone send you a copy before you do your comparison.

Don't sweat it, I sent him one already ! So he should get it soon !
I wrote to him through the HFR review and talked with him several times ! So he'll have it to compare it with !
Rob

From interviews with Roger Waters, on the subject of <em>Money</em>, found at utopia.knoware.nl/users/p...dark4.html

Here is what Waters said about the sounds created for <em>Money</em>:

"The effects loops at the start of the song were re-recorded in the studio and this took a long time. Each sound had its own loop which we had to measure, using a ruler, to keep it in time. There was a tearing paper sound, a telephone Uni selector from a sound effects tape, bags of cash literally being droppedThere on the studio floor and a cash register ringing. The loop itself became the click. Once we'd got the loop they went out and played to it and I faded it out in their ears. It comes back once but that's just a happy coincidence, it's actually not quite in time."

A telephone Uni Selector, the phone noise that Waters described as being in the special effect of the mix, can be described thus:

The SxS exchange simply handles each number one step at a time. When
the receiver is picked up, it is connected to a device called a UNISELECTOR
which is just a moving arm making contact with a selected point. The purpose
of a uniselector is to find a free BIMOTIONAL Selector. A Bimotional selector
is simply a two dimensional version of the uni-selector. You are ofcourse
given a dialtone when the uniselector connects to the first BMS. When the
first number is dialed, you are connected to another bi-motional selector.
The selector connected to is dependent on the number dialed. Each number
dialed connects you to the relevant selector until the telephone number you
are calling is reached. See the discussion at utopia.knoware.nl/users/p...dark4.html

In short, the best I can glean from Waters' own quotes is that indeed the dial tone noises of a payphone were included,along with the clanking cash registers, to reach their desired effect. It's simply wrong to say that a phone was not in the mix.

Hope that helps.

Nick

Good job, Nick.

BTW - Have you heard the discrete AP mix yet?

I've been away for a few days in Vegas, and have not been to the office, where it was being shipped. However, a simple question:

I asssume from what's been otherwise stated, that the only thing I'll need is a cd player and a preamp/processor with a DTS decoder? In other words, that I will need no additional hardware to listen to it?

Thanks,

Nick

Nick , Yes a cd player with a digital out to a dts decoder then the 5.1 out of the decoder goes to a 5.1 input of a surround receiver and out the speakers Or a dvd player that reads cdr and has a dts decoder buit in ,then the 5.1 of the dvd player would go to the inputs of the receivers 5.1 or the same way as the cd player above. Rob

I assume from what's been written elsewhere on this board that it converts the original analog quad to DTS? I use a Lexicon MC-12B which is fed via several DVD players with a digital coax cable. I don't bother using the decoder in the player.

I've just added the relatively "experimental" Samsung HD1000 DVD player into my system, which is Samsung's assault on high end audio and video, and I will listen to it on this. For those unfamiliar with this sort-of-a-monster player (38 lbs), check out the thread at www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...did=234793

It is clearly the best built DVD player I've ever used, and as good as any of the higher end transports I've owned in the past . I'll be interested to hear the disc.

Nick

Nick,not sure if I'm understanding your understanding of how to play this back , so I'll start over in more detail
The signal of you dvd or cd player has to be via digital , be it coax or optical , The digital signal goes to the dts decoder or the receiver with dts decoder built in . The cd is digital data in the 16 bit wave form, and wont play /decode if you use analogue/stereo out put, you'll get digital noise . I hope I haven't confused you any more. Hopefully it's waiting in your office by now,in OHIO!
Rob :cool:

Back