WELL....Whaddya think?!?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paperboy2002

Obviously many of you have already picked up your copies.....I want to hear what you are all thinking as you sit back and listen.....are you happy with the results? Does it meet up with your critical expectations???

Talk to me...

Thumbs way up! A great addition to the legacy of this title. See my full review elsewhere on the board.

I <em>assume</em> we're talking about "Dark Side" here!

I for one loved it. I've never heard the original Quad version, so I can't compare, as others have. And I don't have the most sophisticated soundsystem on the planet (in desperate need of some good, matching speakers here!), but I do have pretty good ears, and I'm intimately familiar with the original mix, and I thought Guthrie did an amazing job of capturing the feel of the stereo mix, while still taking plenty of advantage of the surround soundstage - just as I had hoped he would. The overall mix was a PERFECT balance between "agressive" surround mixing (having specific sound effects coming out of very defined spaces, as the footsteps on "On the Run," the clocks on "Time" and the money on "Money"), and more ambient mixing (most of the actual music tracks). I had some REAL minor issues (the one that sticks out being the someone more lengthy gap between "Time" and "Great Gig"), but probably fewer than I've ever had with a multichannel disc (and I own quite a few).

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> had some REAL minor issues (the one that sticks out being the someone more lengthy gap between "Time" and "Great Gig") , but probably fewer than I've ever had with a multichannel disc (and I own quite a few). [/quote]
In the original recording there is a long piano chord that goes on and fades , if you listen carefully to it , it's there and the reason for the long gap it sounds like it speeds up and slows down and then fades out ! You may have to riase the volume to hear it !
Rob

>>>In the original recording there is a long piano chord that goes on and fades , if you listen carefully to it , it's there and the reason for the long gap it sounds like it speeds up and slows down and then fades out !<<<

No, that's the chord at the end of "Great Gig" (before "Money.") And I was very happy they retained the pitch change there, too (which I presume was done at the mixing stage, and not on the original multitrack). But what I was referring to was the space after "Time" ("...hear the softly spoken... magic... spell...") and "Great Gig." On the original, the opening chord to "Gig" starts out in time with the slow ending to "Time," almost like they were the same piece. The new mix has a longer pause (though, thankfully, no actual silent gap).

My mistake I thought you meant at the end of Great Gig , In that case there a few small differances through out the entire disc , like the one you mentioned . The switch to Breathe, the segue to On The Run And most of the other segues are different all together. Take a close listen and you'll hear the differance right away! At least I did!
Rob

Back