Quad LP/Tape Poll King, Carole: Music [QS/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Music"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Sequel to TAPESTRY, late '71.

Side 1:

1. Brother, Brother
2. It's Going To Take Some Time
3. Sweet Seasons
4. Some Kind Of Wonderful
5. Surely
6. Carry Your Load

Side 2:

1. Music
2. Song Of Long Ago
3. Brighter
4. Growing Away From Me
5. Too Much Rain
6. Back To California

ED :)

Decent mix, decent album, nothing more. 7 is enough.

Having recently run the QS encoded CD through Audition, I find that the mix is very early-70s ambient for most of the program. Not a whole lot going on in the back channels except for a couple of songs. Having said that, the content is great - not quite "every-song-a-hit" like Tapestry, but "Brother, Brother", "Sweet Seasons", "It's Going To Take Some Time" and a beautiful downtempo rendition of her "Some Kind of Wonderful" make this an awesome record.

I gave it a 7, knocking off a notch for the somewhat dull quad mix. But I'd still rather have this than nothing :)

Domestic QS, note the 4 Ode logos in lower right corner:
carole_king_music_quad.jpg

Japan CD-4:
$(KGrHqIOKocE3H!+ic3pBN-TTRWB5g~~_35.JPG

I have both the US and Japanese QS of this. Listening through the modified Vario Matrix decoder in my Sansui QRX-9001 and through the Surround Master leaves the same results. Very dull quad mix. It really could be the stereo album in fake quad.

I mean it's Carole King so she's pretty amazing, but overall a dull album. 6

This is a 10. The best sounding QS mix ever! For years I only had a basic SQ decoder the Audionics 106A and this album was one of the best sounding records played through it! Brother, Brother in particular is fantastic through any decoder.

What's not to like, every song is a winner even better than Tapestry! The sleeve is cool, showing the placement of instruments and vocals as done in the quad mix. The liner notes say that "the overall effect is surround sound this is further enhanced when played through your Sansui monitor decoder".

Surround Sound then had a slightly different meaning. To me still, and back then it meant being surrounded by a wash of sound, without necessarily discrete sounding positioning. A good description of QS (matrix in general) via an early decoder.

I just wish that Ode had stayed with QS, later Japanese releases were CD-4.

Vocals at full centre, should have been done more, especially with QS.

Back