Strange Beautiful Music: Joe Satriani

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Satullo

A newly released multichannel SACD, this could be as good as I've ever heard, in either format. I'm taking care to distinguish the strange, and, yes, beautiful music from the format, but both the music and the delivery shine.

If you're even a casual fan of hi-rez discs, this one should go to the top of the wish list with a bullet.

If anyone doubts what a great surround mix can do for audio, then I'd hand them this disc in rebuttal. On first listen, you may feel a lack of bass extension, but then as you listen you realize it's there lurking, just more subtly than other efforts.

His Engines of Creation is great, too, but is only presented
in two channel.

Nick

I picked this one up at Fry's recently and I agree - it's a good one.

Although Satriani's music may not be for everyone. I'd suggest a listen to the sound clips on the Internet to make sure before purchase.

This disc . . . just grows and grows . . . this guy is one of the best guitar players I've ever heard . . . not just that virtuoso stuff . . .but with music that is exquisitely designed, melodious, biting, every great adjective I could come up with.

My system includes the following:

Aerial 10ts
Aerial CC5
Aerial SR3 Sides
Aerial SR3 Rears
Stereo Velodyne HGS-18 Subs
Krell KAV-1500 5 Channel Amp
Krell KAV-250A 2 Channel Amp
Lexicon MC-12B Surround Processor
Sony SCD-555ES SACD Player

Not one disc, either cd, DVD-A, SACD . . . anything has made this stuff sing like this disc. Sorry. I just had to gush. The rare occasion that I get my money's worth out of this stuff is an event of celebration for me. Of course . . . I'm under the influence . . the disc is on as I type this.

Nick

Nick

I swear this might be the best SACD multi channel disc I own.
This album sounds amazingly clean , and really kicks ass.
14 tracks to boot, you really get your money's worth with this outstanding title.

It's certainly one of the best Rock Multichannel SACDs.

But in terms of sound quality, there are several Multichannel SACDs sourced from DSD and Analog masters that would top this one.

I agree, this disc SMOKES! I've been a Satriani fan since when "Surfing With The Alien" first came out, and that is still my favorite. "Strange Beautiful Music" comes damn close though. Technically, it is a much better album, I just fall back on "Surfing" since I'm so emotionally attached to it.

Oh yeah, killer system Nick! :cool:

Back