BluRay Music Video Poll ZZ Top - LIVE FROM TEXAS [dts HD Master Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray Disc of ZZ Top - LIVE FROM TEXAS

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Sound, Poor Surround, Poor content and picture

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Blu-Ray music/concert video, released in DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround!

Attachments

• zztop.jpg
    zztop.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 298
Everything is great except there is very little surround involvement. Of course with 3 guys, and minimal use of instruments beyond the 3 they are playing, there isn't much to do. It would have been cool on the tracks with synth sequences to creatively use them more, but they were mixed low to keep the illusion of a live show. Another nit is the length of the show is pretty short compared to McCartney or Eagles, ZZ had plenty more songs that are well known enough to keep going another 30 minutes at least. Afterburner is represented with only 1 song, and it's a ballad.

I only have the regular DVD but enjoy it. Didn't expect much surround from it.

One thing I hate is the fake, un-natural crowd noise that they amp up once in a while. Very phoney sounding. You can really hear the difference between the natural crowd noise and the fake stuff. Why do bands have to do this?

I like ZZ Top and i think this is an quite good concert even if they don´t match how they sounded around 1980.
The big problem for me is that i think this is an example of how to make an really bad 5.1 mix.
ZZ Top sounds really great when you get all the power from the bass and the guitar from the two front channels.
There are other good examples on concerts when this works well in 5.1 also.
If you switch between the stereo track and the 5.1 track on this one you will notice that Billy Gibbons guitar really sounds weak in 5.1 and is drowned by a lot of audience noice.
So i can´t vote on this one as i would give the stereo track an 9 and the 5.1 track just 1.

I personally was very disappointed in the general sound. Boring...could and should have been so much better. No excuse in my opinion. I haven't listened to it since the first time or 2 I watched the disc. snooze......

Back